DD exceeds height limit, doesn't meet state weight limit.

K

Kimberlina

Hi- I just have a question about what to do with my 4.5yo DD. She is 42 inches tall, which exceeds the limit on her Evenflo Triumph car seat. I just realized this while I was double-checking the weight limit. (I've been getting ready to switch her over to a booster seat.)

However, we are in NY, and she doesn't meet the 40 pound minimum to switch to a booster. She is 38.5.

What to do in the meantime? Thanks for advice- I want her to be safe!

ADS

momof2kiddos

The height limit is just a guideline.If her ears are even with the top of the shell OR her shoulders are even with the top slots then she has outgrown the seat.If she has how much is your budget allow for on a new seat?

ETA:You have to register to the forum to reply.

Could you get her another car seat with higher harnessing limits? What about when she has more clothing on/shoes etc? She would be closer to or over 40lb then possibly?

Kimberlina

Thanks for the input.

I had read somewhere that the heights were guidelines more than anything, and I do remember that her shoulders need to be below the upper shoulder harness slots. She is still below that, so she should be fine.

I don't really have a car seat budget. I just research, research, research, and then buy what I think will be safe and comfortable. The booster I am looking at for her is about $50. I like it because it has a headrest. I don't care for the headrest in the middle of our Forester, but I don't want her to be without one, so I like that the one we are considering comes with one and can also convert to a base only.

I could switch her to another car seat, but I'm not sure which ones actually have higher height guidelines. Also, I don't think she would be in it for very long at all.

I just need to get her to eat more, lol.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's not out in many stores yet. It'll be hitting Walmarts first. It'll be $150 with 18" top slots (your Evenflo has 17" top slots, so you could see how much torso height she'd have left) with a 65 pound harness limit. Then it converts to a high back booster, then to a low back booster.

Call around to your Walmarts to see if it's there. Where in NY are you? People have said they've seen them in Peekskill and Fishkill.

I grew up near Albany. :) My mom, brother, and cousin live in the area still.

Wendy

mamaofthree

I have a Triumph as well, and even though it has tall top harness slots, it has a short shell. My dd's shoulders are well below the slots, but her ears aren't very far below the top of the shell. She will outgrow it that way long before her shoulders reach the slots. Just wanted to make sure you understood to check where her head lies in the seat. I'm also looking into a Nautilus to replace it because she def still needs to be harnessed for a while, but it turns into a booster as well. There are lots of threads on here about it- it is new and so far only available at some Walmarts.

Kimberly

Kimberlina

Oh, I'm sold on the Nautilus- thanks for the heads-up!

I will double-check her head tomorrow AM.

Now I just need to figure out where to come up with the $ for it before our LA trip next month. Maybe my birthday money. :)

I live right near Albany. I actually work at St. Peter's, in Albany. How long have you been gone?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I've been to St. Pete's. I used to ride on Valatie Rescue Squad.

I moved to college in Ithaca in 1995 and moved to North Carolina in 1999. I still go up every few months, though. We were last there in October. We went to NYC in December, but not all the way up to my mom's.

Wendy

Kimberlina

What a coincidence- I grew up not far from Ithaca- swore I was going to go to Cornell, as a matter of fact- and when I first moved to this area, my work took me to patient's homes in Valatie. It is such a pretty little town- I always loved going there, especially in the winter. Now I live in a quaint little town near Cobleskill.

But I digress. I'm excited to find this Nautilus. I will let you know if I find it anywhere near here.

keri1292

:happy-wavehello:

Hi! I'm in Rochester, NY. And my dd is a string bean too. You can see her in the pic below in her Britax Husky aka Regent. She weighs 44lbs now and is 7 years 3 months. She sleeps in the car a lot, so a booster isn't an option for us yet. Have fun carseat shopping! :D

littleangelfire

If she's referring to the original Triumph, which is likely, weren't its top slots shorter than 17"? And I thought Evenflo was the one weirdo manufacturer that at that time required that a child's head not go over the top of the shell?
Amy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
No, it had 17" top slots. But then only about two inches above that until the end of the shell. I can't imagine they'd put slots that high and then say that kids couldn't go over to their ears.

Wendy

mamaofthree

Not sure if diff models varied, by my Triumph manual states it is outgrown at 40 lbs, or when the ears reach the top of the shell. And yes, those harness slots are really close to the top of the shell! Silly, especially because you have to only use the top slots for FF.

Kimberly

littleangelfire

That is helpful, thanks. :) I was trying to find a manual online, with no luck. I sold my son's. I swear, though, someone told me he had already outgrown it in this pic:
956175591_5d023e7f45_m.jpg

He was almost too heavy for it anyways, but his shoulders were still below the top slots. I could just be nuts, too. I guess :D

mamaofthree

Well since the tops of his ears do look like they are at the top of the shell, I'd say he HAD outgrown it in that photo. My dd's ears aren't quite that close yet, but she has a ton of growing room before her shoulders reach the harness slot. By the time her shoulders reached it, her head would be completely above the shell! I don't know what the person who designed that seat was thinking! I didn't know what to shop for at the time, but it has been a very comfy seat that has served us well. I know a lot of people hate the harness adjuster knobs, but I love them! I'm so glad they came out with the Advance model- I almost bought it for ds, but went with a MA instead.

Kimberly

Kimberlina

I double-checked DD the other day- her length is obviously in her legs, because she is still several inches below the shoulder harness slots. As a matter of fact, I don't think it was all that long ago that we had to switch to the top slots. Also, her ears are nowhere near the top of the shell yet. Tiny little torso she's got, I guess....

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Graco Nautilus can be found at walmart.com. And, as of this morning, it was in stock.

Sweet! Thanks for that heads up. I've been checking nearly every day, but I'd been too busy today.

There's a Walmart right next to where Piper's little gym is today. I'm so going in to look. :)

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC