bad info in What to Expect The Toddler Years

CaseyRN

In my opinion this is bad info:

"If you're considering using a second-hand car seat (don't use one manufactured before 1981), ....."

So it's ok to use one my mom used for me back in 1982? Are you kidding me. They don't mention that seat expire at all.

Then they have a picture of a child in a low back booster with this caption. "Children who weigh over 40 pounds, whose shoulders rise above the strap slots, OR whose ears are above the back of the seat SHOULD graduate to a belt-positioning booster seat"

I know the book was copyrighted 1996, but maybe it's time for a revision to support safer car safety practices. JMHO b/c this book came pediatrician recommended to me!

ADS

mominabigtruck

I read it when I was pregnant with ds1 and being the very young mom that I was thought it was very, very old school. Definitely not a book I would ever recommend to someone, no matter how much I hated them:rolleyes:

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I am not a big fan of those books.

The "your child should be... may be... may even be able to..." statements bother me.

cryswilkins

I HATE those books. I always recommend against them at work. They are too old school, and they give very out dated advise.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Those books are awful. I'd use one to light a fire, but for nothing else. In fact I've complained about them to small bookstores, telling them that they give out potentially harmful advice to new parents.

Wendy

Mommy090804

:eek:I have an old copy of the book, purchased from a library used book sale. I do remember reading the terribly outdated information relating to carseat safety. Is it possible that they have published a newer edition with updated information? One could only hope! Now I am curious and will have check a "brand new" copy the next time I am in a bookstore?!?

PixieEMT

The "What to expect when you're expecting" was sooooo lame lol! I got a free copy and a bag of stuff when I was 12 weeks preggo. I ended up giving it away when I was like 5 months along. It was a waste. *Sigh Sometimes I wonder why some pregnant moms spend soooo much time reading books like that one?!?!

I wish mothers (and fathers) would spend more time reading their DAMN CAR SEAT MANUALS! NOW THERE IS SOME VALUABLE READING MATERIAL!

dd9736

I have a copy of what to expect when your expecting (newest version) my friend has the version before (hers was bought later) and they're pretty much the same, word for word.

CaseyRN

I just bought the book maybe a month ago? So I doubt there is a newer edition. Our ped actually gave us What to expect the first year at our first appt!! Then at the 9 month appt this book was recommended. Reading it, though I wish I hadn't bought it!

jdchic3

I have the pregnancy and first year versions and have never read them. I much preferred Your Pregnancy Week by Week.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC