Evenflo Triumph ADVANCE LX or Britax Marathon

van

So I was all set to buy the Marathon but now all the new threads about this seat is making me wonder? The price is more attractive but what are the differences? Pros? Cons? This is my first baby and he is quickly getting to heavy for me to carry around in his infant bucket, so any responses are greatly appreciated.

On a side note, does anyone know if Sears will give you a raincheck if an item is advertised as on sale but not avail. to you locally?

So confused, what to do?:confused:

Van

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
These are the main difference between the triumph advance and the MA:

- MA has built in lock-offs, EFTA doesn't.
- MA can be tethered when installed rf'ing, EFTA can't
- MA has 65lb ff'ing weight limit, EFTA has 47lb ff'ing weight limit
- MA has harness covers and a belly pad. I don't think the EFTA has either.

They both have the same rf'ing weight limit, both have approximately the same top harness height. Both have either EPS or EPP foam.

- EFTA has infinite slide harness from the front, MA has actual slots.
- EFTA is wider through the shoulders so if kiddo is broad it'll probably be more comfy.
- EFTA has knob adjusters to tighten the harness on the side, MA has a ratcheting mechanism pull strap.
- EFTA has 2 crotch strap positions, MA only has one.

I think those are the main differences between the seats. :thumbsup:

I'm not positive about rain checks and Sears. I think if a seat is specifically advertised they'd give you a rain check. I know the flyer I got just had selected carseats $5 to $30 off as the ad, so I'm not sure they'd give a rain check for a seat that hasn't arrived yet. Never hurts to ask though. :shrug-shoulders:

PrairieGirl

I was wondering the same thing.
How much of an advantage is it to have a tether for RF? If the MA has that, wouldn't it be a lot safer RF? Or does the RF tether not matter that much. Are there certain vehicles where a RF tether would be really important?

Also, does anyone know what the difference is in the 2 seats as to how much room they take up? If I have a truck with a shallow back seat area, which seat would be more likely to fit?

scoop

I'm not positive about rain checks and Sears. I think if a seat is specifically advertised they'd give you a rain check. I know the flyer I got just had selected carseats $5 to $30 off as the ad, so I'm not sure they'd give a rain check for a seat that hasn't arrived yet. Never hurts to ask though. :shrug-shoulders:

Yeah - the seat wasnt specifically advertised on sale, but the clerk told me it was all car seats on sale and this one was $15 off today. I doubt they would give you a rain check if they dont have it in their system yet - but you could ask. I do think it was just a one day sale though.

van

snowbird25.ca... thanks for the response, can you tell me a few more details about...

Lock-offs... what are they?
Tethering... do you have to or is it safer when RFing?
Is there a +/- to the infinite slide or slots for harnesses?
Which works best, know or ratchet for tightening?
Anyone have issues with the MA single crotch strap position?

Thanks,

Van

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
snowbird25.ca... thanks for the response, can you tell me a few more details about...

Lock-offs... what are they?
Tethering... do you have to or is it safer when RFing?
Is there a +/- to the infinite slide or slots for harnesses?
Which works best, know or ratchet for tightening?
Anyone have issues with the MA single crotch strap position?

Thanks,

Van

Lock-offs replace a locking clip. They are a nice feature to have if you have a vehicle older than 1996 because then you don't have to use a locking clip. If you usually install your seats with LATCH, you won't care either way.

RF tethering: There is some debate about the benefits/desirability of a rf'ing tether. The Britax seats pass standards both with and without rf tethering. It's speculated that rf tethering adds additional stability in a side impact collision, and it is known to reduce/prevent rebound. Again, there is debate as to if eliminating rebound is a good or a bad thing. I'm in the camp that if you have a seat that rf tethers, to use it. But what seat I buy is not determined solely by whether or not it can be rf tethered. There are many varying opinions on that though even amongst techs, so I'd suggest searching the forums for threads discussing it.

Infinite adjust vs. slots - Infinite adjust means the harness is always the perfect height and you never have to worry about if you need to move the harness or not. You also don't have to uninstall the seat in order to change harness height.

Knobs vs. adjuster strap - Again, this is a matter of preference. Some people love the knobs, some people hate them. Conversely, some people hate the adjuster strap on the MA because of it's ratcheting mechanism. It's all about preference and neither one is safer than the other.

There have been some complaints about the crotch strap position on the MA. It doesn't seem to be a super common complaint though and it's not something I've had a problem with.

The best advice I can give is to wait until the triumph advance is available and then play with both of the seats. Put your kiddo in each of them, adjust the harness height, tighten the harness and check the fit of your child in the seat. Some stores will let you take the seat out to your vehicle to try installing it provided you leave some sort of id or take an employee with you...

Most of the differences between the seats come down to personal preference, so ultimately it's up to you which features you find easier when using and installing the seat - and if one fits your child better than the other, then that'll probably make the decision for you. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC