What is wrong in this pic?

PixieEMT

* Sigh
This is a picture of my friend's child. *Sigh again

In the pic you can tell they were on the road. It was taken over christmas sometime.

It looks like her shoulders are above the harness slots. The retainer clip is too low and the straps are twisted.

I'm tempted to message her about it but I fear it will do no good. :(

She lives about 6 states away from me. She's asked me CS advise before. Her DC #2 is close to 1 y/o and the Ped told her she needs to get a convt seat for him b/c he is getting to long for his infant seat. (He was, I could tell by pics) So, she asked for my advise. I gave her info about ERF, gave her some recommendations ( ETA, FPSVD, Scenera and to *STAY AWAY FROM THE AOE, EB) I also gave her info about HWH seats for the DC#1 that will be 3 y/o.

Unfortunatley people think I'm crazy when I start giving $$$ figures for these type of seats. A 20$ backless booster is what most people want to buy. "Because it's safe....other wise they wouldn't sell them on the market!" :rolleyes: I had a relative say that to me! Sigh*

Bucklemeup.jpg

ADS

amyg530

i agree with Lisa about sending a proper picture. and go read the thread about catching more flys with honey. maybe if you tell her that you recently went to a seat check and this (insert your picture here) is how they said the child should look in the seat

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
That's a Treasured Cargo, huh? Sucks it doesn't have a front harness adjuster :p
But yeah, straps too low, chest clip is called a chest clip for a reason... at least it's buckled at the crotch?

seamonkeys

I would definitely mention about the harness height - she may not know the rules about harness height. I noticed that the straps on a friend's DD were falling off of her shoulders - so I went up to the car to investigate and saw that the straps were way below her shoulders! So I just politely asked if she knew that they were supposed to be ABOVE the shoulders when FF - she honestly thought they were supposed to be below and didn't know why they were slipping off all of the time (I didn't mention she could have read the manual!)! She also had her 4 yr-old with the straps below! She's since fixed them!!

CaseyRN

How can you look at that, though and think it's safe? I just don't get it. I would also recommend sending a pic of your DC properly restrained.

Momto1bigkiddo

I am amazed this person ever asked for advice at all. :dizzy:
I hope she will listen to you! Good luck trying.

I'd probably find a tech to send her to in her area. Even *if* the tech happens to not be the best one, they will still drastically improve her current set up. Tell her you just had your seats checked and you were SO shocked to find out you were doing things wrong. Tell her that now you know your kids are so much safer and you feel so great knowing you have done everything you can to keep them safe in a crash, since car accidents are the #1 cause of death for children.

I agree with what has been said about using the ''catch more flies with honey'' approach and not sounding ''holier than thou".

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC