Would you get a Nautilus...

adamsmommy

With the only reason being it has a cup holder? We currently have a Radian in my car and DS would love to have a cup holder. Not to mention his shoulders look somewhat smashed in his Radian.

I just go so tired (and dangerous) of reaching around the seat to hand him his cup when he drops it. Why don't more seats have cup holders?!?!?

ADS

HEVY

If I had to choose between the Nautilus and the Trufit, I would choose the Trufit for harness use.

USmominOz

I have not seen the nautilus in person, but I have the Radian and I am having the nautilus sent to me me. It looks like it has more room and in the comparison pictures that were posted here. I did not get a great install w/ the radian in dh's subaru legacy w/ the seatbelt so I have to use the latch.

Wynters*Mom

If I had to choose between the Nautilus and the Trufit, I would choose the Trufit for harness use.

I'm trying to decide between the Nautilus, the Trufit and the Regentl. When you say you'd pick the Trufit for the harness use, do you mean you can use the harness longer (ex. does it have higher slots?)?

I'm looking for anything that can help me make a decision - trying to decide is kind of making me crazy! :)

HEVY

From what I read it goes to 65lbs but is not a booster, that's why I said for harness use. As a harnessed/booster option it seems the Nautilus would be the best option. And a Regent if you really want to go as far as possible in a harness.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
From what I read it goes to 65lbs but is not a booster, that's why I said for harness use. As a harnessed/booster option it seems the Nautilus would be the best option. And a Regent if you really want to go as far as possible in a harness.

The thing with the True Fit, though, is that since it's a convertible seat, it will likely have more of a recline, and therefore the 18" slots might not be as "true" as they are on the Nautilus (or Radian). It's like how kids outgrow the 17" slots on the Marathon, for example, before they actually have a 17" torso.

Since the True Fit isn't out yet, I don't know for sure, but I would IMAGINE that the Nautilus will allow longer harnessing. For someone who ONLY needs a FF seat, they'd be paying a lot of money for a seat whose main "cool" feature is RF (True Fit).

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
As for the original question about the cup holder: If you have the money and have a use for the seat, and you want to, why not? :)

3acorns4Christy

That is one of the factors for my want to buy it. I won't get it until my Joel goes FF because our MA doesn't install in our truck very well FF.

tjham

I have a Siderider on my Radian and it actually fits perfectly on the piping without using safety pins (which I have to use to get a good fit an any other seat). But I still want a Nautilis too! :D

ktmo

I don't even have a reason, and I want to buy the Nautilus, so if I had that issue, YES, I would buy it. Maybe that will be my reason, because it has a cup holder. Do I need a reason?? :D

Katie

MySillyKids

The regent has nice mesh 'pockets' for stuff on the side. My DS1 has NO issues fitting his cup/water bottle there. Heh, he's sitting next to a cup holder in the van now, and he thinks its heaven! LOL

abacus2

I just bought a Nautilus, and if anyone were going to buy a car seat for the cupholder, this would be this one. The cupholder is NICE, nicer than the built-in cupholders in my car. I've never seen a cupholder on a carseat before that I thought would actually be usable, but the Nautilus cupholder is worthy of reason-to-buy feature status IMHO.

Bigseatlover

Well I for one won't buy it but I have to say if I did it's because it seems like everyone else is. I don't want to sound rude but how many carseats is one supposed to have? I mean I'm sure there are some who are buying it cause either thier children have outgrown or about to out grow thier current seats, but it also seems like a lot are buying it cause it's the newest thing to have. I mean a new car seat for a cup holder? That makes no sense. There are parents who have trouble getting one car seat and a lot of you seem to have 2-3 per child. I don't know maybe it's just me but if I had the money for all those seats I'd just as soon as keep one and give the others to someone in the area who needs it. I know people who buy every new electronic device that comes out just because it's new and "better". Seems the same here.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Well I for one won't buy it but I have to say if I did it's because it seems like everyone else is. I don't want to sound rude but how many carseats is one supposed to have? I mean I'm sure there are some who are buying it cause either thier children have outgrown or about to out grow thier current seats, but it also seems like a lot are buying it cause it's the newest thing to have. I mean a new car seat for a cup holder? That makes no sense. There are parents who have trouble getting one car seat and a lot of you seem to have 2-3 per child. I don't know maybe it's just me but if I had the money for all those seats I'd just as soon as keep one and give the others to someone in the area who needs it. I know people who buy every new electronic device that comes out just because it's new and "better". Seems the same here.

We just like to discuss ALL aspects of all seats with other people who know what we are talking about. This is our safe place...same as any message board where they buy any new product for one feature or another. We DO find good new homes for our seats, and maybe the world is a little better off because of it (I've bought dozens of seats and handed many down to friends who couldn't afford nice seats...I get to try new seats, they get nice ones... it's a win-win situation)

:)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
We just like to discuss ALL aspects of all seats with other people who know what we are talking about. This is our safe place...same as any message board where they buy any new product for one feature or another. We DO find good new homes for our seats, and maybe the world is a little better off because of it (I've bought dozens of seats and handed many down to friends who couldn't afford nice seats...I get to try new seats, they get nice ones... it's a win-win situation)

:)

:yeahthat:

I don't use cupholders on the seats we have and it doesn't bother me personally one way or the other if a seat has a cupholder or not, but I fully realize and respect that others place a higher value on them. :) It's the overall package of features and usability that matter to me. I like to become familiar with the latest and greatest products because I may see those popping up at seat checks, or they may end up installed in my own vehicles, and to help answer questions about those seats here on the forum. :)

ZephyrBlue

Well I for one won't buy it but I have to say if I did it's because it seems like everyone else is. I don't want to sound rude but how many carseats is one supposed to have? I mean I'm sure there are some who are buying it cause either thier children have outgrown or about to out grow thier current seats, but it also seems like a lot are buying it cause it's the newest thing to have. I mean a new car seat for a cup holder? That makes no sense. There are parents who have trouble getting one car seat and a lot of you seem to have 2-3 per child. I don't know maybe it's just me but if I had the money for all those seats I'd just as soon as keep one and give the others to someone in the area who needs it. I know people who buy every new electronic device that comes out just because it's new and "better". Seems the same here

I admit to buying the seat for more than one reason; I purchased the Nautilus to replace our huge Regent , which was not a combo seat. And in our case, it's sometimes necessary to have more than one seat per child- if kiddo has to ride with daddy or grandma, I prefer not to uninstall and reinstall seats in several vehicles. Having a back up seat works for our family.

My DD and DS love the Nautilus cupholder! It's really an awesome design. And I probably would buy the seat just for the cupholder ;)

And there's the "new seat" factor; I enjoy buying new seats. I don't get my hair done, I shop at thrift stores and discount stores (Marshalls, etc) for my own clothing, I only get a Starbucks once or twice per month, etc. Car seats are my hobby, if you want to describe it that way. And I often give my seats away when we're done with them- I recently gave away a Britax Marathon and a Britax Wizard.

Coming to a new community and criticizing the long-standing members for what they buy, saying that they should be donating seats to the needy instead of having mulitple seats per kid is probably not the best way to introduce yourself, btw.

Simplysomething

I know people who buy every new electronic device that comes out just because it's new and "better". Seems the same here.

If you read just a bit more, you'll find that most of us don't have 11 seats for each child.

I am considering the Nautilus, shoot, if it does everything it's supposed to do, then it's an awesome seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC