need some help

Misty-Bug

on what info to give a mom that has her 16 month old in a BOOSTER! :eek::thumbsdown: Yes, you read right. A booster. One of those ones with a shield where the seatbelt goes across. Not even belted to the car. She is open to stats and stuff. I even told her I would sell her my AOE. I did my best to stay calm and not freak out. I told her she REALLY needs to be in a carseat that holds her in. I said I bet I could pull at her legs or lift at her shoulders and she would slide RIGHT OUT. This is in her mom's car. I went to recommend the Scerena but up here in Canada it is $95!! So start the info flooding my way! QuassEE, you would have FLIPPED.

ADS

Misty-Bug

yeah I think it is. I did offer it. She has an AOE so I did offer to sell mine to her too. WOuld it be good for her? The baby is 31lbs so she is FFing. I better tell her about higher weight seats cause that kid is gonna outgrow these seats soon

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
The Scenera just went down to $79 at Walmart. Just fyi. ;)

With a 31lb, 16 month old, I'd probably look at the Bolero at Walmart for $129. It will make a good harnessed seat until 47lbs and then turns into a decent booster. It is also fairly easy to install in vehicles.

Misty-Bug

The Scenera just went down to $79 at Walmart. Just fyi. ;)

With a 31lb, 16 month old, I'd probably look at the Bolero at Walmart for $129. It will make a good harnessed seat until 47lbs and then turns into a decent booster. It is also fairly easy to install in vehicles.

I was just there before I posted this and saw that it was $95. Well $94 something. I would hope I saw the wrong tag except it was attached to the seat
WHo make the Bolero? and wouldn't she need something that harnesses to 65lbs?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The Scenera is $69 at my wal-mart, so maybe worth pulling the box & price checking it to see what it actually is. Wal-mart isn't so good at changing prices sometimes...

Bolero is made by evenflo and harnesses to 47lbs.

If they have an alpha omega right now, why can't she use it? At 19mos I doubt that the little girl is too tall for the top usable harness height.

You might tell the mom that the shield booster she is using (if it's actually stickered to 30lbs,) was recalled due to the risk of young kids submarining. In Canada the lowest weight manufacturers are allowed to certify their boosters to is 40lbs. Some of those shield boosters also had a recall about the routing of the belt if it's a lap/shoulder belt.

You could also use an illustration as simple as telling mom that aside from her dd legally having to be harnessed still, boosters like that are as if someone took a plastic bar and held her own lapbelt 6" out from her abdomen. Imagine if she crashed and had to travel 6" at 50km/hr before impacting the seatbelt? Kids have died because of shield boosters... Manufacturers quit making them largely in part because of law suits.

But anyways, if she has an appropriate seat right now - which I'd be pretty sure that at the moment the AO is appropriate for her weight and size, just help mom get the seat installed.

Did you happen to ask mom why she moved her dd to a booster seat? Sometimes there are reasons that need to be addressed before parents are willing to make a change.

Misty-Bug

The Scenera is $69 at my wal-mart, so maybe worth pulling the box & price checking it to see what it actually is. Wal-mart isn't so good at changing prices sometimes...

Bolero is made by evenflo and harnesses to 47lbs.

If they have an alpha omega right now, why can't she use it? At 19mos I doubt that the little girl is too tall for the top usable harness height.

You might tell the mom that the shield booster she is using (if it's actually stickered to 30lbs,) was recalled due to the risk of young kids submarining. In Canada the lowest weight manufacturers are allowed to certify their boosters to is 40lbs. Some of those shield boosters also had a recall about the routing of the belt if it's a lap/shoulder belt.

You could also use an illustration as simple as telling mom that aside from her dd legally having to be harnessed still, boosters like that are as if someone took a plastic bar and held her own lapbelt 6" out from her abdomen. Imagine if she crashed and had to travel 6" at 50km/hr before impacting the seatbelt? Kids have died because of shield boosters... Manufacturers quit making them largely in part because of law suits.

But anyways, if she has an appropriate seat right now - which I'd be pretty sure that at the moment the AO is appropriate for her weight and size, just help mom get the seat installed.

Did you happen to ask mom why she moved her dd to a booster seat? Sometimes there are reasons that need to be addressed before parents are willing to make a change.

sorry, I may not have explained this. Her daughter in in an AOE in HER car and in her mom's car (grandma) she is in the shield booster. I am gonna go to walmart tonight and check it out. I think. Then I will be sending her an email with all the facts.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I just wanted to post an update.. I was at my wal-mart tonight and the scenera is back to $95 and is now in those plastic bags. I'm guessing that the lower prices had been to clear out the older seats so they could bring in the ones with the plastic bags. Too bad...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC