Citing your sources on the internet (G nautilus)

sb518

I am appalled at where my pictures of the nautilus have been sited and posted without a proper source (which would be a link to my original thread or my SN/and website which you got the picture off of) or permission of the author/photographer.

I have had ONE person ask me to use the photos which I did give permission too and many others who used proper citing sources. (Thanks to you as well.) The rest of you... :thumbsdown:

I realize this is the internet and that any of you can save pictures to your own computer but here is your warning that it IS plagiarizing, internet or not.

ADS

singingpond

Re: Citing your sources on the G Nautilus

That is too bad. With all the work you did, you obviously should be cited as the author/photographer. Maybe we need copyright notes on photos? (Only half joking -- it would at least remind people of proper etiquette).

Katrin

lovinwaves

I have posted pictures here before, and have seen members copy and paste them into a thread. I have no problems with it. For the most part everyone links to my post or thread where the pictures are located. It doesn't bother me one bit. :)

ETA: If my pictures help someone, so be it. I hope I haven't done this tumblebug to anyone and offended them...If have I apologize. To me it's just a picture of a carseat, and not a big deal :shrug-shoulders:

sb518

I have posted pictures here before, and have seen members copy and paste them into a thread. I have no problems with it. For the most part everyone links to my post or thread where the pictures are located. It doesn't bother me one bit. :)

I was only bothered when the pictures started showing up on other websites with NO mention of the poster not being the owner or photographer, etc.

This does apply to all posts/pictures in general on the internet as well.

scatterbunny

Yes, common sense etiquette tells me to simply link to a thread/photo if I want people on another board to see something. Or, if I do want to copy a photo or photos, I ask permission from the photographer first, and then when I re-post them I make sure folks know these are not my photos, but I have permission from so-and-so to post them.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this, tumblebug. Kashi has posted a way to watermark photos, maybe you can do a search and find it? It seemed pretty easy to do.

sb518

Yes, common sense etiquette tells me to simply link to a thread/photo if I want people on another board to see something. Or, if I do want to copy a photo or photos, I ask permission from the photographer first, and then when I re-post them I make sure folks know these are not my photos, but I have permission from so-and-so to post them.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this, tumblebug. Kashi has posted a way to watermark photos, maybe you can do a search and find it? It seemed pretty easy to do.

Thanks, I do have the ability to watermark, but with those particular pictures I didn't want any details blocked by a big SN across it, and with all the excitement I didn't want to spend the time to do it. I've learned my lesson though. :) I'm really over it, just putting the warning out there for the posters and the readers.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Tumblebug, I know that I have definitely linked to your photos in some threads here, and I think in a few used the img code for them to display. I try to link to the original threads too, but sometimes in my haste don't think about it. I'm sorry if I'm one of the people who offended you. I have no doubt that a lot of time and energy went in to taking them and sharing them with us.

Just so that I have it clear for myself, are you ok with us posting links to your pictures in other threads provided we also link the post, or do you only want links to the threads? I haven't and wouldn't consider posting your pictures outside of car-seat.org. I hope you still know how appreciative we all are of the work you went to.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus

I have posted pictures here before, and have seen members copy and paste them into a thread. I have no problems with it.

The fact that it doesn't bother *you* to have your photos used by others without permission doesn't change the fact that legally, a photo belongs to the person who took it. The same goes for written articles: you can't just copy the entire thing without permission from the author (short excerpts are OK, though).

The easiest way to get around this would be to say, "There are some great pictures in this thread here <insert link>," or "Check out this article <link> for a more detailed explanation of how that works." Of course, if you do ask for permission, many people are more than happy to grant it. It's just not nice (or legal) to take without asking.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Quite honestly, I was *not* aware that this was plagiarizing or that it was such a big deal to some people.

I completely understand if there are children in the seats that the need to ask permission is there, but I had no idea that you *needed* permission to re-post a picture of *just* a carseat.

I also just link to the post/thread that I saw the picture in, so I guess I'm okay (that would be citing sources, right?)... but I honestly did not know this was a big deal. :shrug-shoulders:

ETA: I see that you have removed ALL of your pics and I'm really confused. I thought this was supposed to be helping people, but it seems more like you just wanted the credit/points for posting the first pictures? :confused: Or maybe you're just watermarking them and I'm way off base, in that case, I apologize. :eek:

Last edited:

Jacks

Quite honestly, I was *not* aware that this was plagiarizing or that it was such a big deal to some people.

I completely understand if there are children in the seats that the need to ask permission is there, but I had no idea that you *needed* permission to re-post a picture of *just* a carseat.

I also just link to the post/thread that I saw the picture in, so I guess I'm okay (that would be citing sources, right?)... but I honestly did not know this was a big deal. :shrug-shoulders:

Yikes! I didn't either. I haven't done it but at least I know not to do it in the future. :whistle:

CandCfam

:yeahthat:

Is there a way to disable the right click and save image feature on here? That would be one way to 'fix' the issue.

scatterbunny

That's been brought up before (disabling right-clicking), but it doesn't fix the problem. Anyone can do Print Screen or use a photo editing program and copy the pics that way.

I don't think Tumblebug has an issue with many folks seeing her pics, the issue is that they're popping up EVERYWHERE, sometimes by folks who have copied the pics to their hard drive and then re-post them as if they are their pics. No, it isn't about getting points or credits, it's about respecting the person who OWNS the photos enough to give her credit.

Just my two cents! This is an issue I, myself, didn't know a whole lot about until the last year or so, but now I understand. I used to quote entire articles, or huge portions of articles, and also include the link, but now I know I am only allowed to post a small bit, and direct readers to the link. Same goes for photos: if the owner does not give you permission to copy and re-post, just include a link to the original thread.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
...it isn't about getting points or credits, it's about respecting the person who OWNS the photos enough to give her credit.

I understand this... I guess I'm just still confused why they were taken down when they are helping so many people. Wouldn't it be easier to do a watermark even if they are blurring parts of the picture?

sb518

There are plenty of ways around the "no right click" :ROTFLMAO:

I figured enough people have the seat now and there are many pictures posted everywhere. Especially considering that it's on graco's website now. Although If anybody would like any of my particular pictures I would be happy to give you permission to use them after I watermark them and will give you a new link.

sb518

Tumblebug, I know that I have definitely linked to your photos in some threads here, and I think in a few used the img code for them to display. I try to link to the original threads too, but sometimes in my haste don't think about it. I'm sorry if I'm one of the people who offended you. I have no doubt that a lot of time and energy went in to taking them and sharing them with us.

Just so that I have it clear for myself, are you ok with us posting links to your pictures in other threads provided we also link the post, or do you only want links to the threads? I haven't and wouldn't consider posting your pictures outside of car-seat.org. I hope you still know how appreciative we all are of the work you went to.

It's nobody in particular, just a general reminder. I don't have a problem with "this picture was posted in this thread" with the link to the original thread, which is what most of the people have done and I am fine with.

sb518

My review is complete, as soon as a mod approves it. There are many of the pictures included.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
My review is complete, as soon as a mod approves it. There are many of the pictures included.

Thanks! I wasn't trying to be mean and I hope I didn't offend you. The pictures were really helpful and I was disappointed when they were no longer there. :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC