Yesterday I was Horrified and Proud at the same time

natysr

I normally am always the one that straps Jordan into his carseat. DH can do it too, but he just doesn't do it as ofter as I do. Well yesterday morning, DH put Jordan in the carseat instead of me, as I was running a bit later than normal. So, he put him in and put his blanket over his lap.

So, fastforward until the end of our hour and a half commute...we are 2 blocks from Jordan's daycare in a residential neighborhood. Jordan had just taken his blanket off, and he starts say "uh oh mommy, my buckle flall off". Me, being completely confused is saying what do you mean it fell off? He starts screaming "Stop Mommy Stop! I not Safe! I not Safe!" Sure enough, the second buckle tongue had not been clicked in. Of course I scolded DH and told him he has to be more careful and there is neven an excuse for not pulling up on the harness to check it. He felt pretty bad. I felt sick thinking what could have happened, but proud that my son is so safety conscious.

ADS

melniemi

How cute! I started to leave WalMart one day without buckling my 3 yo in and she freaked out too. "I'm not safe, I'm not safe" I had put her and the baby in the car while I unloaded the cart. Baby had been buckled in her infant seat and I usually buckle S in right away too so I totally spaced it. Good thing our kids pick up on stuff so quickly!

SPJ&E

Well I'm glad that Jordan noticed and told you, that's great!

I have to admit, I have done the exact same thing your DH did...TWICE!! I didn't loosen the harness before buckling Pacey in and could have sworn on my life that the second side did click (it DID stay in)...only to find later that it did not (it must have come out once he started wiggling or moving his legs). Thankfully we weren't in any accidents and I am VERY careful now, to pull on each side to make sure they're in there, every single time.

Last edited:

MommyBoha

I have done it to, although DS ever lets us start the car if hes not buckled in correctly. He buckles the chest clip himself and then I buckle the other. Sometimes I get spacey and forget and he always goes Mommy, Im not buckled in.

amy919

I did it, too. It was pouring rain and I was rushing to get the girls in their seats to drive home from school. I just didn't get the "click" on that second buckle. Maybe because I was soaking wet and freezing? We got about 2 miles down the road (a very busy 2 line highway) and Kaylie started screaming "pull over, pull over!" She scared the crap out of me and I'm lucky I didn't crash the car. I thought Tea was choking or something. I immediately pulled over and asked her what was wrong. I fixed it and had to listen to her lecture me for the rest of the 20 minute ride home about how I need to pay attention and be more careful and did I KNOW what could have happened to her if we were in an accident. She is the ultimate drama queen.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
My 6 YO gets upset if I start to pull out and he doesn't have his seatbelt locked (when he's in a booster)! I can't even imagine how mad he'd get if I tried to pull away without buckling his Regent.

Mommypooh

because with 3 of them there are times I hvae forgotten I have taught them both to yell at me. I tend to forget my daughters more than anyone elses though because she is the only one on her side of the van. I have the boys in the other door. So my habit is now when I get in to ask if everyone is buckle up and safe and it helps to remind other passengers to buckle up too.

Jordynsmama

Ehen J was a baby in a bucket seat i forgot twice to buckle her in:eek: one time it was raining and I realized I forgot-the other time I got all the way home! I really dont know how the hell I did that-

mamaofthree

I've forgotten to buckle/tighten the infant seat before too! It happened when I had it snapped on the stroller, and I either loosened or unbuckled it for comfort, then forgot to fix it when it goes back in the car. Eek!

I am not a tech or even a safety fanatic that goes around talking carseat safety (heading that way though, lol). Just buckle my kids up consistently and correctly, and they too let me know if I'm driving off without buckling someone. My 3 yo especially, who is a drama queen will start screaming. With 3 kids and often being frazzled and tired, I now just make it a habit to ask before starting the engine if everyone is buckled in, then turning around to check. Even if I *know* they are, I figure the habit assures me I won't screw up.

Kimberly

maipenrai

Senior Community Member
I had the same thing happen with our Marathon. I could have sworn it had clicked, but when we arrived one side was totally unbuckled. He's too young to yell at me yet. I was horrified when I realized it, and now I double check every time.

mommy2env

Good thing Jordan told you, I can just imagine the cute little voice. You obviously have taught him well. :thumbsup:

I did it, too. It was pouring rain and I was rushing to get the girls in their seats to drive home from school. I just didn't get the "click" on that second buckle. Maybe because I was soaking wet and freezing? We got about 2 miles down the road (a very busy 2 line highway) and Kaylie started screaming "pull over, pull over!" She scared the crap out of me and I'm lucky I didn't crash the car. I thought Tea was choking or something. I immediately pulled over and asked her what was wrong. I fixed it and had to listen to her lecture me for the rest of the 20 minute ride home about how I need to pay attention and be more careful and did I KNOW what could have happened to her if we were in an accident. She is the ultimate drama queen.

Amy, you always make me smile with Kalie's stories. That kid is awesome. :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC