Harness vs belt in high-back booster

• Thread starter Unregistered (Heidi)
  • Start date
U

Unregistered (Heidi)

I have a 4 yo who has been riding rear-facing until recently (yes, I know that is not common but I´m from Sweden and there children are facing the rear until about 3-4 years).

He weighs about 35lbs and as we turned him around I would have wanted him to sit with the vehicle belt in his high-back-booster but noticed this was not recommended until at least 40lbs.

Have not gotten any answer why this recommendation exists. All I know is that it contradicts what I know from Sweden where children, when they are forward-facing, are recommended to be restrained with the belt (in fact, in Sweden only a few forward-facing seats have a harness).

Would love to get some answer why the US recommendation is 40lbs.

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
That is great you kept your son rf until 4yrs old :thumbsup:

Often a step up in seat progession is a step down in safety. Going from rf to harnessed ff, harnessed ff to a booster, booster to a seatbelt, back seat to front seat.

It is recommended to keep children in a harness as long as they fit the seat because a harnessed (5pt) is safer then the 3pts of a seatbelt. The reason it isn't recommended to put such a young child in a booster is because they aren't mature enough to sit properly in their seat, it usually doesn't happen until they are closer to 5-6yrs old. Here is a great thread that talks about and explains what makes a child mature enough for a booster.

HEVY

Yeah I noticed about the maturity and booster. I just took my daughter out of the harness due to exceeding weight limit, as some of you may have already read. Now she's leaning forward and turning. The belt only has restriction only on impact. Last I heard I was 15 on the KDM waiting list and it should be fairly quick. I knew a booster would be a huuuge mistake, this only verifies it for me and makes me even more anxious.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Now she's leaning forward and turning. The belt only has restriction only on impact.

If your seatbelts lock when you pull them out all the way you can lock the belt using a booster. That should help keep her from moving some while you are waiting to get a HWH seat for her.

keri1292

I have a 4 yo who has been riding rear-facing until recently (yes, I know that is not common but I´m from Sweden and there children are facing the rear until about 3-4 years).

He weighs about 35lbs and as we turned him around I would have wanted him to sit with the vehicle belt in his high-back-booster but noticed this was not recommended until at least 40lbs.

Have not gotten any answer why this recommendation exists. All I know is that it contradicts what I know from Sweden where children, when they are forward-facing, are recommended to be restrained with the belt (in fact, in Sweden only a few forward-facing seats have a harness).

Welcome! Rear facing until 4 isn't terribly unusual on this board. My dd is 7 and still harnessed because she likes to sleep in the car and couldn't do that safely in a booster. I'm sure she'd flop out of position with all the curvy, up and down mountain driving we do.

HEVY

I don't understand Jewels, she is in a booster and the belt (shoulder belt) can be pulled in and out without locking, it only locks if you jerk it.

HEVY

Nope it only locks if you jerk it, then when you put it back in its free. Only my front passenger side does what your talking about.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician

Welcome Heidi!
Yup, we are a rare little island of 'extended rearfacing advocates' here (most of the us turns kids forward at age 1, but mama's on this board go as long as our carseats allow... 35 pounds is the highest rearfacing weight seat we can get, unfortunately).

The US has a tradition of harnessing up till age 4 or 40 pounds (40 because that's what most seats harness up till... this has been true in most of Europe, Australia, and Canada). Countries with children harnessed forward facing have a fairly good record of child safety (not as good as rearfacing...). There's some debate between those of us who feel harnessing forward facing is an extremely safe and desirable option (for as long as the seat allows.. up to even age 10 and 80 pounds), and a few posters we have from Norway and Sweden who do not believe it's necessary.

Regardless of the debate, even Volvo has found that head injuries for children younger than age 5 are higher for kids in boosters (I need to find the link to the study... )...so most of us prefer to keep our kids harnessed at least to that age.

mamaofthree

So what are the RF weight limits in Sweden? I am assuming it is less than 40 lbs if you are concerned about the US recommendations being 40 lb min for hbb's. I'm totally curious now if there is research to support that a ff harnessed seat is just as safe as a hbb.

Kimberly

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC