I don't understand

jdubsm

When I picked up my girls from school today I started chatting with another mom parked behind me. She had a 1 yr old and a 2 1/2 yr old in her van. The 1 yr old was in the vehicles 5pt harness seat but not tightened at all. The 2 1/2 yr old was on the seat with the vehicles seatbelt. :eek: I asked the mom is she had a seat for the 2 yr old and she said she'd outgrown it and she hadn't taken the time to get a new one. AAAARGH!!!! I told her that the car seat belt won't protect her in an accident since it doesn't fit her tiny body and that she needed to make it a priority.

Her five year old came out, climbed in the front seat and buckled the belt then put the shoulder strap behind her back. :( I just don't understand taking such a risk with your child's life.

Janet
DD1 - 5yr 11mos - 37lbs - Regent
DD2 - 5yr 11mos - 40lbs - Regent
DS - 3yr 11mos - 33lbs - Regent

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I never understand it either. Even before I became a tech, some things seem like they're just common sense (I gained a LOT of common sense just becoming a mom, maybe some don't?). We have a cop that comes to school in the afternoon and I keep meaning to ask him what we need to do about people w/ unrestrained children under 6 (6 and over it's a secondary law so they have to be doing something else wrong to get in trouble). There's a mom in AJ's class who has her baby in a seat, but the 2 (maybe 3) and the 4yo have no seats at all.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
A lot people have the "I drive careful, nothing will happen" additude even if they know the facts. While other just do not know any better. It is very sad :(

amy919

I don't understand, either. I think those people are just plain stupid. She knows her child needs to be in a car seat, she simply doesn't care enough to make it a priority. So although I don't like the term, I feel justified in considering her and people like her stupid.

I do think a lot of people have that "it won't happen to me" attitude. For their children's sake, I hope they're right.

lovinwaves

*sigh* I see this often as well. I just don't get it either. :(

I wanted to let you know you can add your kids info into a signature that will post everytime you post. That way you don't have to keep adding it everytime. Go to "User CP" and click on "Edit Signature"

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=8936

Please limit any images and tickers in your signature to a reasonable size, especially if you use multiple images. Please limit the combined height of all your photos, tickers and images to 240 pixels tall as an absolute maximum. The combined width should be no more than 640 pixels wide. The combined file size should be no more than 100kb. We don't want our forum threads to be cluttered like they are on some other websites, with the large majority of a thead being comprised of signatures and advertisements with little actual content. Please feel free to personalize your posts within reason, but the shorter you can make your signature including all text and images, the better. Individual users can turn off Avatars, Signatures and Images if they prefer uncluttered, text-only forum reading. To do this, go to the User CP control panel and choose the Edit Options link on the left side. These options can be disabled in the Thread Display Options section.

PixieEMT

* Sigh* I just don't know why people are so ignorant! The proof is in the pudding people! Look at all the stastics! It is pure science and reality! THE NUMBER 1 KILLER OF CHILDREN IN OUR COUNTRY! HELLO!?!?! I guess 1,500 children getting killed each year isn't enough for some people!

IGNORANCE ISN'T BLISS WHEN IT COMES TO CPS.........IT'S DEADLY! :hitselfonhead:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC