Older SUV vs Minivan?

Momto3Divaz

:confused: Okay as much as I have tried to stay away from a minivan safety 1st but Ive been staring at these boards for about 2-3 weeks now trying to get a clue lol. My step son will be living with us soon and occasionally we will also have my other step son with us on the weekends so we need room for 5 carseats :eek: We have tried to opt out of the minivan and I am not in love with the Siennas or Odysseys and my grandparents have a 00 Dodge Caravan which I do not like (no leg room in the 3rd row). Our current car is a Focus which I will keep for driving to work.
I like the Suburbans/Tahoes and looks like I can get a good run with them for a couple years from now but downside looks as if we may need to fill it up a few times a week! The other +'s are we can probably buy one in cash with our tax money so no payments. Now for the minivans I like the convienece of the captain chairs in the middle so no climbing over the chairs and a little more cargo room, but the only minivan that I have feel in love with without seeing it in person is the '07/'08 Dodge Grand Caravan with all the options that can keep my kids content and the adults happy. Maybe theres vans I missing out on though but the downside to a new van would be payments and we really dont want to go that route right now but if its worth it then we will.
Carseats will be 3 Radians FF, 1 MA RF, & on the weekends a Convertible carseat (not sure what kind) but RF

Im sorry for all the questions and what seems like repeat threads but really they all are different questions :whistle:

ADS

skaterbabs

I have my sister's kids fairly often, and our suburban is great for when I have to fit all 6 kids in. I can actually fit 2 seats in the 3rd row and 3 in the 2nd row. If I had something like the EZ-on harness I could get 3 kids in the 3rd row.
Since I don't drive it when I only have 2 or fewer children with me, the gas for it isn't so bad, and it's paid off, so no monthly car payment.

Models after 1995 should have head restraints in the outboard seats.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
You can also get the Suburban with 2nd row caption chairs but you do go from a 8 seater to a 7 seater. The Suburban will have more cargo are then any minivan behind the 3rd row.

Even if you went with a 2nd row bench Suburban. You can easily install 2 carseats on the 2nd row (center & driver outboard) and tumble the passenger outboard seat to have easy access to the 3rd row.

I have an '05 Tahoe that I LOVE to pieces with 2nd row caption chairs but I also only have 2 children and once in a blue moon have another child other then mine in the vehicle.

skaterbabs

it may be possible to get 3 Radians across the 3rd row of the Suburban, and the newer ones are wider, but I couldn't fit the Radian between the 2 Parkways in the 3rd row of my '93.

On the 60-split of my 60/40 bench seat I can fit a Regent and a MA.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd look at www.informedforlife.org before you make your decision, honestly... minivans just really do have better track records for safety (and my 2003 Ody gets 20 mpg, third row is plenty comfortable...), and I can load it with radians easily (not RF in the third row, though..).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC