Car Seat 70's style

classicseats

Here are two from the 70's. The brown one is from Questor 1971. The black one is a Welsh Teddy Tot 1975. The Teddy Tot has shoulder straps that you feed the car lap belt through. The questor has some kind of strap I still didn't figure out.

Last edited:
ADS

PixieEMT

They are very retro! I think my DH rode in something like that! He remembers I'll ask him tomorrow! lol

jdchic3

It just looks like you could strap the shoulder belt to that strap, although I guess there weren't many lap/shoulder belts in the rear seats back then.... Hmm....

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Ha! That's very similar to what I had, but I think mine was a black crocodile-skin material (vinyl, I'm sure).

Ah, memories. :rolleyes:

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
The teddy tot looks more like what I remember seeing in my parents attic---I was born in 1978. But I have MANY cousins---I have 24 1st cousins on my dad's side, most of whom are older than I.

Susan

Susan

canadianmom2three

Cool!!! and reminds me, I had an infant bucket when I was born in 1975 - it was tan plastic with brown vinyl padding, and rf'd. My mom said it was very cutting edge for the times, and she had gotten it from her brother, who worked for GM Canada...any ideas what that would have been? I have looked all over the net to see, and my mom has no idea, just that she was so happy to have it, since I was a 4lb preemie. Any ideas??

bigjenni

I asked my parents recently about what they did with me in the car as a baby, and my dad dug up this photo... I wish I could see the bottom of the seat, but I am guessing it is similar with a metal tubing base. It looks like the front unsnaps and lifts over the head. I was impressed that it had some sort of shoulder harness... My parents' car was a gigantic yellow Ford, and this photo was taken in 1972...

--Jenni

Last edited:

mommy2env

That picture is of really good quality for 1972. Nothing like the ones my mom has showed me. Did you have it re-done?

bigjenni

That picture is of really good quality for 1972. Nothing like the ones my mom has showed me. Did you have it re-done?

No, actually, my dad is finally getting around to scanning in all of our old slides. He's turning up all these great photos I've never seen, and they are great quality because they've been in a box for 30 years... ha!

I told myself I want to be sure to take lots of pictures of my kids in their carseat, swing, stroller, highchair, etc. so that in 30 years when they have kids and ask me about their old gear, I can show them and they can laugh at how "primitive" their gear was :)

--Jenni

ZephyrBlue

I had the black Teddy Tot! I must have been 3 or so when my parents bought it (born in 1973)- they had a huge white plastic bucket for RF before the TT.

I used to beg my mom to let me ride in the white rf bucket when I was older- like 8- and I can distinctly remember riding in it with my legs draped over the back of the vehicle seat (one of the first Subarus, made in the early 80's I think) when I was 8 or 9 :eek:

Hey Classicseats, can I please use some of your "Classic" seat images for a animated gif/slideshow/moving image (life on the front page of my site)

supermommyof2

Cool!!! and reminds me, I had an infant bucket when I was born in 1975 - it was tan plastic with brown vinyl padding, and rf'd. My mom said it was very cutting edge for the times, and she had gotten it from her brother, who worked for GM Canada...any ideas what that would have been? I have looked all over the net to see, and my mom has no idea, just that she was so happy to have it, since I was a 4lb preemie. Any ideas??

I know what you're talking about. I remember my mom referring to a "GM bucket seat" and I can picture what it looked like, but that's all I know about it.

HEVY

OK I got a horror story for ya'll.
I was born in 67, never wore a seatbelt nevermind a car seat. When I was about 6,7,8 my friend's granny used to drive us around.
Are you ready??

We used to sit on the top of the front seat and when going down this one hill we would let ourselves fall back onto the back seat. We called it the humpty dumpty hill. I hope no kids are reading these.

Andie

:eek::eek::eek: I saw one like this in someone's car the other day! She had her probably 1 year old in it and her other 3 kids were in reg seat belts, as far as I could see. (It was a taller truck, and I'm short). Could I of reported her?? (I'm new to this, Jenny [scatterbunny] has brought me to the "dark side")

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC