Another expired CS find!

PixieEMT

I was driving by a local thrift store tonight when I spotted an older OHS car seat thrown the front door. There was a pile of junk w/ black bags, baby swings, high chair etc. Donation hours are from 9a-4p. Most people were taking advantage of the church and throwing their garbage there.
Anyway I thought to myself...."Self....if that seat is there on the way home around 8-9p, I'm stopping to grab it!" Shanghi suprise, toss it in the back of my mini van! :cool:

So, around 8p on my way back home I spotted it! I drove around the block and parked in the one way all next to the thrift shop. Some young girl was standing out having a smoke three doors up. I walked up, snatched it and started to walk away. I could see the PLAYSKOOL sticker on the side and well they haven't made furniture for babies since the mid 90s. I was waiting for the girl to say something. I'm not sure if it was trash for tomorrow pickup or a "donation" pile someone dumped off. I threw it in the back of the van and took off! :D

I had my 7 y/o nephew with me and he thought it was pretty funny. He's like "You stole that seat!" So I kindly explained to him it was old....made in the 80s, probably as old as your mom and I....a child could get hurt or killed if someone uses it. Then he replied "Ya, that is pretty old, just like you and Mom!"

DSC02971.jpg

DSC02969.jpg

DSC02965.jpg

DSC02967.jpg

ADS
*shudder*
Euuuuuu Yuk What was spilt on it?

We had those in NZ from about 86 - 91. They were sold as Bilbo seats though.
I read it as you grab the chicks smoke and took it. LOL :D

Did you find a manufacture date?

PixieEMT

I can't read the DOM it looks like May 29 of something 0. So either 80 or 90. I'm guessing 90?

Will I get in trouble? It was trash on the sidewalk. Actually it was creating a walkway hazard, against boro code. I could have tripped. :D
Considering I went to the academy with most of the police officers in the area and they know I'm a CPST...they could care less.

I think it was garbage night in town? They come in the morning to collect. I have work tomorrow but I plan on printing some info about expired seats for the shop. Hopefully, I can go in on Friday and apologize for my uncontrollable actions! lol :)

I'm going to make a flyer up with some images of older style seats and put my number on it. Hopefullly, when they have old expired seats they will call me to pick them up and destroy them properly. Or...I can have them cut the harnesses and write expired all over them. HOPING they will let me do the work though.:thumbsup:

I can't read the DOM it looks like May 29 of something 0. So either 80 or 90. I'm guessing 90?

Will I get in trouble? It was trash on the sidewalk. Actually it was creating a walkway hazard, against boro code. I could have tripped. :D
Considering I went to the academy with most of the police officers in the area and they know I'm a CPST...they could care less.

I think it was garbage night in town? They come in the morning to collect. I have work tomorrow but I plan on printing some info about expired seats for the shop. Hopefully, I can go in on Friday and apologize for my uncontrollable actions! lol :)

I'm going to make a flyer up with some images of older style seats and put my number on it. Hopefullly, when they have old expired seats they will call me to pick them up and destroy them properly. Or...I can have them cut the harnesses and write expired all over them. HOPING they will let me do the work though.:thumbsup:

Great ideas.

Does sound like 1990. Too old!
Remember that writing "expired" can be rubbed off with meths.
We have an organistation here that takes seats to the dump for free, then they are crushed by a roller so no re-using happening.

PixieEMT

I have plans for this seat that include..........tools from a heavy resuce fire truck!

Manual labor? Hogwash I say! It took me about 2 hours last week to smash that Century and Evenflo up!

This time.........it's going down Tim "The toolman" Taylor....Binford tool style!:evil grin:

I have plans for this seat that include..........tools from a heavy resuce fire truck!

Manual labor? Hogwash I say! It took me about 2 hours last week to smash that Century and Evenflo up!

This time.........it's going down Tim "The toolman" Taylor....Binford tool style!:evil grin:

Woooooooohoooooooo! wish i was there to help. Therapy at its best!

?

I dont know what you call it but it is a chemical used for like heaps of things including removing vivid pen and it can be used for sterile cleaning of wounds - it stings!

Denatured alcohol?

Niea

Isopropyl alcohol or rubbing alcohol, yeah. :)

Maybe it's just my neck of the US woods, but "meth" doesn't mean anything to me other than methamphetamine, the very addictive street drug.

Isopropyl alcohol or rubbing alcohol, yeah. :)

Maybe it's just my neck of the US woods, but "meth" doesn't mean anything to me other than methamphetamine, the very addictive street drug.

methamphetamine is nicknamed "P" here.

Bad stuff that.

But yeah i would worry about people rubbing the writing off and using it anyway, even without belts & cover.

While not as good as your find, this is a seat that I took from a junk pile to be crushed:

Image179.jpg

Image180.jpg

The silver FIL sticker was F.I.L 93 - It had a childs name on it, so was being used as a daycare seat, probably until it was collected off the pile. This was in August.

Photo taken on cellphone.
I really liked that adjustment foot on the Century seats .. :2thumbsup:

Niea

That Century seat -- Bleh!

That seat looks very similar to the seat my brother (born in '86) used as a child. Except his was a very neutral tan cover, not the wild 90's pattern.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC