Good answer for why still RF?

jnh896

Hello,
DD is 13 months old. We have a BLVD and intend to keep her RF until closer to height/weight limit. We've started to get the questions of "why haven't you turned her around?" I'm struggling for a simple, concise answer. Also struggling with whether or not I should try to inform other Moms as to the reasons why RF is better when they ask the question. I'm not a CRS tech, we simply made the decision based on our own research. Any thoughts are appreciated. As always, thank you for your great insights on this forum!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I would simply say that it's safer. Then if they seem interested you can do more teaching. Otherwise just leave it at that.

Wendy

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I hear questions on occasion from other parents or relatives if they notice me buckling up my younger DD who is still RF at age 2.5 My short answer is "because I've learned it's significantly safer to RF as long as she fits within the seat's RF limits." If the questioner shows an interest in learning more about why it's safer, then I offer them a more detailed explanation about crash dynamics and how RF helps to protect a baby/toddler's more fragile neck and spine, based on the info. at http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx and/or offer them a brochure version of the info. If they just roll their eyes/repeat the question, I just say I appreciate their interest/concern because car crashes are the #1 killer of children, and I want to keep her rear facing as long as possible to help prevent the worst if we're in a crash.

Cedarmom

It depends on who you are talking to and how good your relationship is. :p

1. "It is safer."

2. "Her neck muscles aren't mature enough to handle a crash ffing."

3. "Two words: Internal decapitation"

4. "I will be waiting until she reaches the limits of her seat"

5. "The AAP recommends that children rearface until 30 lbs or the limits of their seat--in our case 33 lbs" (you don't have to go into the height limitations as well lol)

6. "I love my kid more than you love yours" (totally kidding here!)

7. "She likes it better rfing"

8. "I'd rather deal with a broken leg than a broken neck" (to be used when they throw out the 'but the legs!' arguement)

9. "She can't chuck her shoes at my head when she's rfing" (only slightly kidding here :cool: )

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I usually just say "it is much safer for him to be rear-facing". If they ask for more information or question me further then I say that studies show that a child under who is rear facing is 4 x's less likey to die in an accident then a child whom is forward facing. That one hooks them for sure!

amy919

Easiest answer is simply "because it's safer". If someone shows interest, I'm more than happy to provide statistics and more information.

My family, on the other hand, thinks I'm completely neurotic and over the top and completely insane for making my 22 pound 2 year RF :confused:. I've pretty much given up with them and when they do make comments, I tell them "my child, my choice" and leave it at that.

CandCfam

Because RF is safer and he/she still fits the RF limits of his/her convertible safety seat.:thumbsup:

Mommy090804

"Because it's safer" is the simple answer that I give. If someone wants more information then I will quote the AAP's recommendation.

The answer that I want to repeatedly give to my mother:
"You are very lucky that your granddaughter/grandson is one of a small percentage of children that has remained RFing until the RFing weight limit of his/her seat. Your grandson/granddaughter is very fortunate to have conscientious parents who have done their homework in respect to child car seat safety. Riding in a car is the most dangerous thing that he/she does."

PixieEMT

:DFunny but I had the same question tonight from my cousin's GF. She asked "He's still RF?"
Then I simply explained the "OLD" guidelines 20lbs and 1 y/o are so outdated...current research shows ERF is the safest...internal decapitation.....children have actually died. I told her he can ride RF until he maxes it out at 33lbs or 1 inch or shell.

I keep a brochure in my glove box "Rear facing Unmatched Safety" from CPSafety.com. Just incase anyone gets really interested. :)

I noticed people giving me strange looks before in public as they see me buckle a toodler (obviously not an infant at 15months, 27# wearing a 2T. He looks like a mini line backer for the NFL) People just aren't used to seeing it. :rolleyes:

FYI: Cool bumper sticker for all us ERF parents: Rear Facing toddler onboard. How cool is that? cafepress, cps gear. I'm in love! <3 :love:

Well i saw the first ERF today in the city (Auckland) and I was on the bus and got all excited looking out into this guys car. It was one of the EB 3 in 1 seats though. Very well installed. We are slowly getting the message across in NZ.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I would just say "Why not?"

Then you get to hear their story. Their ped told them they had to, they're worried about broken legs, etc.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
DH would tell anyone who asks that it's safer, and it also postpones DD2's debut as a bossy back seat driver as long as possible. :p When we turned DD1 FF, she became the world's worst back seat driver, and we anticipate her little sister will follow that same pattern. :whistle:

Last edited:

maipenrai

Senior Community Member
I usually just say it's safer, and if they ask why or don't believe me, then I explain as much as they're willing to hear. If I know they have a kid of their own, I'm a little gentler since I want to educate without coming across as judgmental.

elle7715

I say "Because it's safer" and sometimes add that "she's not 30 lbs yet" if I have time to mention the 2 year/30 recommended minimum. Usually I say "the recommendation used to be 1 year and 20 lbs, but that's pretty outdated, now most car seat techs recommend at least 2 years and 30 lbs for forward facing. Since it's safer anyway we'll keep her rearfacing until she reaches the 33 lb rearfacing weight limit on her seat." I've also given people the name of this website. If I knew them I'd probably offer to email them some information.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC