spin off of DC riding with others...older kids

Melanie

What do those of you who have older kids (past car seat age) do? And if anyone has driving age kids...do you let them drive your younger kids?

DD1 is now 12, so she's having more activities with friends. I'm selective about who she rides with, but she does ride with people I've barely met sometimes. I don't personally know many of her friends' parents since she started a new school this year. I also have no control over who my ex-husb lets her drive with (this is one of the worst things about being divorced-ugh). I drill seat belt safety into her. She's seen crash test videos, we talk about seatbelt placement, etc. I also frequently remind her that if she's in a situation that is unsafe (not enough seat belts, etc) that she can call me anytime and I'll help transport her & her friends.

Something new for us is her friends having older siblings that drive. So far I've just let her ride with one 18 year old. This is a very responsible girl. I know the family, safe car, etc. Still scary though.

Another thought....what about when their own friends start driving??? :eek: DD is one of the youngest in her class so will be one of the last to be able to get her license. I think I'd feel safer having her drive than riding with a friend that I have no control over. I just rode with anyone as a teenager, and we did unsafe things all the time. What were my parents thinking?

ADS

Suzibeck

My oldest is 11 1/2 and, like I said in the other thread, I let her ride with more people than I would the younger ones. At this time, it is only adults. I don't think I'll let her ride with her friends, or let her drive friends, until they have been driving AT LEAST a year.

The other day, I was driving with dd and had a wonderful teachable moment. The car in front of me on the interstate went to change lanes with someone in his blind spot, apparently. He signaled first, and I was thinking, "I don't know if he has enough room." and I slowed a bit. He suddenly saw the other car and over-reacted swerving back into the right lane. He lost control, spun out, crossed in front of the car he nearly pulled into, who had fortunately slammed on his brakes as had I by this point, and went off into the median. There was no contact, thankfully. Dd and I had a wonderful discussion about how important it is to not get distracted. Had either myself or the driver in the left lane been distracted, we would likely have hit the guy who spun out. We also talked about blind spots and how important it is to check them BEFORE starting to change lanes. Dd was so upset from seeing that that she was shaking, but I'm glad she saw it and I think, hope, it will stick with her.

Stretchy Glue

As H is in Kindi this year, I've been worrying about this a lot lately. I still worry about her riding with her babysitter, but she hasn't had her liscence very long and is very cautious. Having the only child among a lot of family has caused everyone to be VERY parnanoid about her so my family is okay but her friends worry me. It'll be a long time before I let her ride with friend's parents. I'll honestly put her on the bus before hand because I actually know her bus driver.

Driving aged siblings of her friends--no way! I feel for you with your ex, that would be really tough on me. I'd have insisted on that being part of the parenting plan!

skaterbabs

I have never been all that concerned with my kids riding with others (excepting my sister, but that's nother thread altogether), I ALWYS insist on proper car seat use regardless.

CJ occasionally rides with other people, and it's rare these days that he needs a booster. When he does, 99% of the time a backless is fine so that's what he uses.

A study came out a year or two ago that said teens who drive with younger siblings are the group the LEAST likely to be in a crash.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Thomas started a group this summer, and the kids are ages 12-19. Am 18yo kid from dh's church got him into it, and I let Thomas ride with him. Thomas knows almost as much about seat belt safety and use as I do, so I trust him, and I trust the 18yo as well.

I did check out his car before they left the first time, though, and stated that Thomas was NOT to ride in the middle with the lap-only belt, and that he was ONLY to ride with the 18yo. The group goes camping, and I've spoken with the parents in charge about the vehicles they take, made sure there were proper seat belts for all the kids, etc.

Lys

Senior Community Member
A study came out a year or two ago that said teens who drive with younger siblings are the group the LEAST likely to be in a crash.

Hmm that's interesting.
NC law only allows teenagers with a restricted license to have one friend in the vehicle. No restriction on siblings though. I wonder if that info is on here. http://www.hsrc.unc.edu/index.cfm

My oldest turns 18 in 2 weeks and I have no problems letting her drive her siblings wherever they need to go. In fact, most mornings she drives them to school for me because she tutors at their elementary school for her 1st period credit. She knows proper passenger safety for all and could probably install Ian's Regent as well as me :)

skaterbabs

I wish I could remember where I saw it. And the study that came out just recently noticed that while the # of over-18 crashes is less than for 16-18, the death rate for those crashes is higher. Over 18's are more likely to be indulging in risky behaviour like alcohol use, too many passengers than seatbelts, or racing than under-18, and they don't have the parental threat of taking away the keys to kep them in line.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC