Scenera OHS musings

ZephyrBlue

Last night I drove across town, hoping to find a Nautilus at a WM I don't normally frequent. No Nauti :mad:, but they did have the Scenera OHS marked down to $32 (and the 5pts are still full price :rolleyes:) Just for the heck of it, I put DS in the OHS model-how in the world do people think those are easier than a 5pt to buckle? I could barely get the darn thing buckled and I have really small hands. DS said, "Oww- dis tarseat is pinchin my belly!" He was not impressed. Although, he did have lots of growing room, so it wasn't a case of my trying to shove a fat kid in a small seat.

My almost 5yo DD said, "Ohhh- that's a special seat with the safety bar that comes down" She knows about OHS seats from a friend whom, until recently, used an expired, recalled Century OHS seat from 1998. A lady behind me was looking at the marked down Scenera and I said very loudly to DD, "Oh, but that safety bar is NOT safe- see how it's a hard piece of plastic? Brother's head or belly would hit that in a crash and hurt him! That's why we only use seats with harnesses, like that one (pointing to a 5pt)"

They really should discount the 5pts and throw those other POS seats away.

I'm grouchy because I went to 3 Walmarts and can't find the Nautilus :eek:

ADS

scatterbunny

Yeah, I can't stand those things. :( The shield does sit lower so it would probably be less of a concern than other OHS seats, but it's such a PITA to buckle, I agree. :mad: I talked an old friend into ditching her OHS Scenera and getting a FPSVD instead. She was thrilled with the quality and ease of use of the FPSVD after using the OHS Scenera for almost 2 years.

ZephyrBlue

Jenny, I cannot imagine using that seat for 2 years! Just bucking/unbuckling it every day would drive me crazy! The shield was at least lower than some others I've seen, esp the Evenflo models. Doesn't look like the Scenera shield would be as dangerous to an infant as the ones that sit right in front of baby's face :(

scatterbunny

Yup, lowering it probably increased the safety a little, but it makes it more difficult to buckle. It was a seat she used in her mom's two-door early-nineties Accord. I cannot imagine using that seat in a two-door car, it's so big and bulky. She ended up putting her basic Cosco Touriva (but at least it was a five point) in her mom's car and using the FPSVD in her two-door Explorer.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC