Question about my third row middle seatbelt in Sienna van

mamaofthree

The middle seatbelt in the back row of my van has two buckles. That way if you have the seat stowed, the seatbelt stores in the ceiling. When you want to use it, you have to pull it out and connect in two spots- one on each side of the passenger. This prob makes no sense unless you have one of these seatbelts. I'm just curious whether this makes the seatbelt any less safe, or unusable for a carseat. Nobody sits there currently but may someday in the future. Anybody know anything about this?

Kimberly

ADS

sfeitler

It's safe to use, as far as I know--there might be some carseat out there that forbids it, but I know other folks here have mentioned using various seats with this kind of seatbelt.

It makes it harder to install a seat, sometimes, because you have the equivalent of a buckle stalk on both sides, don't you? So something like the Radian becomes very difficult.

-Sarah

lynsgirl

It's fine to use and is not less safe, but I think with some boosters, it might not be the greatest, due to positioning (thinking more of backless boosters than high backs).

As far as separate buckle stalks, the first "smaller" one is rigid and only moves up and down (can be moved down flush into the seat when not in use), so it's not quite the same difficulties as a buckle on webbing, but it has it's own issues sometimes :p.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Ditto to what Amy said. :) It's not forbidden in the Sienna owner's manual to use that seatbelt with a child restraint. It's fine to use it as long as you can achieve a good installation. I have a Regent installed with that belt in my '05 Sienna. :thumbsup:

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I don't know how long the buckle stalks are on the Sienna, but in my '08 Grand Caravan they are on the shorter length. I have this same type of seatbelt in the 3rd row middle position and it is easy to install both the Radian and have an acceptable booster (Parkway) 'install' as well.

The seatbelt is perfectly safe as long as used correctly. :)

mamaofthree

Ok, thanks so much. Right now I have two kids in the captains chairs, and the only one in the back row is outboard, so I can buckle her in easier. I've thought about putting her in the middle for safety's sake, but it would prob infringe on both seats on either side, instead of just the one as it does now. And make it harder for me to get her buckled in. We have side curtain airbags, so I don't feel unsafe with her outboard.

Kimberly

supermommyof2

The 3rd row center is the only place I can get a good SB install w/the Radian :D The 3rd row passenger side rigid buckle stalk that only goes up 45 degrees is much more annoying IME :rolleyes:

mamaofthree

The 3rd row center is the only place I can get a good SB install w/the Radian :D The 3rd row passenger side rigid buckle stalk that only goes up 45 degrees is much more annoying IME :rolleyes:

That is good to know. If we don't end up with a Nautilus or True Fit, the Radian is on my list. And that would be a good center seat because it lacks SIP (I think) and is narrow, so it would mean someone could sit on either side if they had to. I'm tempted to get a Radian just because of its narrowness- it just seems like such a versatile seat.

brightredmtn

I don't know how long the buckle stalks are on the Sienna, but in my '08 Grand Caravan they are on the shorter length. I have this same type of seatbelt in the 3rd row middle position and it is easy to install both the Radian and have an acceptable booster (Parkway) 'install' as well.

The seatbelt is perfectly safe as long as used correctly. :)

Can you get a RF Radian install with this type of belt?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC