Wow-17 crashes in the past TWO HOURS!

scatterbunny

In the town about an hour east of me there have been 17 crashes in the past two hours due to icy conditions. :( The latest I heard about was a pregnant woman driving a Hummer who hit a telephone pole. :(

ADS

Misty-Bug

crazy. That is where I say, if you don't know how to drive get off the road and just because you have a big hummer or a SUV doesn't mean you are not gonna get in an accident!

scatterbunny

I totally agree with you. I am a sissy about driving in possible icy/snowy conditions. I cancelled H's allergy appointment that was supposed to be yesterday because there's snow at the summit on the highway I have to travel. The road itself MIGHT be fine, but I'm not willing to chance it, risking getting caught coming home after dark, when it might be icy.

The weather said it would be above freezing everywhere, so most folks thought the roads would be fine. Unfortunately this particular town is in the foothills of the Coast Range and the temperature actually DROPPED from above freezing to below freezing this morning, catching everyone off guard. Everywhere else is a few degrees above freezing, except for this one area.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Yikes. I hope folks are listening to the news and decide to stay home if they have the option.

Do you live in an area where you don't regularly get snow & icy roads? I know that in areas where drivers are less experienced driving on winter roads that when the roads get bad crashes go up in a huge way. Heck, we drive on ice and snow 4 months of the year minimum and we still get skyrocketing crashes when it's icy because people just don't slow down. :rolleyes:

Hopefully nobody is seriously injured and people will stay home if at all possible.

scatterbunny

My area is really diverse. I live on the coast, about 5 minutes from the ocean. We're right at sea level but 10 miles inland the Coast mountain range starts. Our area is technically a rain forest. So we get TONS of rain here, but our temps are normally *just* high enough and we're low enough that we don't usually get snow. If we do, it's about an inch. We do freeze quite often in the early morning hours from November-March but temps warm up quick enough during the day. But if you drive 15-20 minutes up into the Coast Range it's a whole different story. Within 20 minutes elevation is 500 feet, within 40 minutes elevation is 1600 feet. 60 minutes you're on the other side of the mountain, in the town that's having all these crashes this morning. But if you continue going east an hour or so, you're near Mt. Hood, in communities that are much more familiar with ice and snow conditions in the winter. Oregon is really very diverse, we have oceans, rivers, lakes, mountains, rain forests, wetlands, plains, deserts, plateaus, all kinds of different elevations and climates. I :love: it here.

daycaremom2002

I agree with you there!! I love living in Oregon too. I just wish that people would have common sense about driving. We had this same problem on Monday when the last front blew through here. We had tons of minor accidents. We had ice under a thin layer of snow. Now we are ok as long as we don't try to get out of the valley. We have had blizzard like conditions on the Siskiyou summit and an avalanche near Crater Lake.

Someone posted a picture of the beach at Port Orford (not near me) with snow on the ground this morning....it looked cool!!

scatterbunny

Siskiyou Summit-which one is that again? :eek: Obviously I'm not a big traveler (yet). This summer we plan on exploring lots of Oregon, road tripping and camping.

Snow on the beach is really cool-looking. If it snows again this year I need to drive out there and snap some pics.

popsicle

That happens every time we get snow or ice fog up here after the roads have been dry for a week or more. It amazes me how little time it takes people to forget how to drive in slippery conditions. So now I just work from home on those days so I don't have to deal with it. :D

cpsaddict

OMG, my trip to work was FUN. NOT! The ice was BAD at about 7:45-8:00. I only have to go like three miles and it took me twice the time it usually does. I go through a neighborhood and the road was shimmering. :eek: Not cool.
The school my fiance works at(maybe said town an hour from you Jenny?:p) was on a two hour delay for the ice.

Stretchy Glue

Jenny, I remember camping in our area in Novmeber (sand dunes) and driving back towards Portland with a huge camping trailer filled with quads in the snow. I'd skip it too! That was terrifying. We had 6 people in the truck and BIL's g.f. at the time was holding my hand as we slid around corners. It was so scary. I personally like driving in the snow, but not with a trailer. I'll save that for summer.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Yikes, scary. :( I prefer driving in snow over freezing rain or freezing fog, although I'd rather avoid winter driving altogether.

Safe traveling to anyone who has to drive on the ice today, and hope it thaws out soon.

scatterbunny

Yes, I had to drive home Sunday from my mom's through some light snow on the roads (and snow was falling so fast I had to have my wipers on full-blast) and it wasn't terrible, I followed a milk truck (large semi) doing 35 mph the whole time and it wasn't bad. But if it's deep and/or icy, I freak out and refuse to drive in it.

daycaremom2002

Siskiyou Summit-which one is that again? :eek: Obviously I'm not a big traveler (yet). This summer we plan on exploring lots of Oregon, road tripping and camping.

Snow on the beach is really cool-looking. If it snows again this year I need to drive out there and snap some pics.

That is the last pass before California on I-5. It was nasty yesterday. Luckily, I don't have to leave the valley very often and when we do get ice or snow, I don't have anywhere to drive that is all that important. The kids can walk to school if it isn't too slippery(especially after my DD, 14, slipped almost 3 weeks ago and ended up in a cast!) and I can reschedule appointments for later.

If you like to camp, head down to Crater Lake. There are beautiful campgrounds nearby at the natural bridge area in Union Creek. You can drive to the Gorge, Crater Lake, Diamond Lake and walk to the natural bridge. It is very pretty. The river goes underground for a short while and you can walk down a bit and watch it come back out.

scatterbunny

Okay, that's what I thought (Siskiyou Summit). I remember dimly hearing about it when I was in Grants Pass over the summer. :)

Yes, Crater Lake is definitely on my list of places to visit this summer. I wanted to see it last summer but my mom said it was too far out of our way and we had a set itinerary. :(

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
A body shops dream. I would stay home unless it was an emergency. In fact that is what i did when I lived in PA. I just did not go anywhere in the winter unless absolutely neccesary.

lilysmomma

I also live right here where the wrecks were, and today is the 3rd day in a row I haven't left the house! Yesterday it was snowing and then the ice today. No thanks! I hat driving in bad wheather and especially with Lily. Unfortunately my mom and husband both drive for a living and are out in this stuff all day:( They both called to tell me not to go anywhere today:)

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
After very nearly getting stuck in my GRAVEL driveway this morning, I took my car in and got new tires. It came with those stupid (forgive me if you like them) low-profile "fashionable" tires and I've been hating them since I got them but couldn't get peeved enough to replace them.

So, I got smaller rims so that I could have bigger tires, plus the new tires have better traction as well, without being winter tires. Holy freaking crow - the difference is amazing!

Last night at work as well as this morning, I could not hit my brakes at all without activating the ALBs. It was ridiculous - I was doing 15mph in town and every time I came up to a stop sign it was "jabba-jabba-jabba." And taking off again was awful - I'm sure I used up half a tank of gas just spinning the tires!

On the way home with the new tires, I only activated the ALBs once, and that was on purpose because I was trying out the new tires. No slipping when pulling out, either! :thumbsup:

Just don't ask what I paid for them. *sigh*

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC