What kind of scale do you have?

amy919

We don't own a scale, but I usually weigh the kids at my mom's. She has a pretty pricey scale and claims that it always matches the doctor's. I weighed the girls at Christmas while we were there, just out of curiosity. According to her scale, Teagan weighed 25 pounds even. That was fully clothed without shoes. Last night, she had her 2 year well check and weighed in at 22lbs, 10oz. Is it possible that her clothing could have weighed that much? I just don't see how that's possible.

I would like to get a scale to have one at home. Any recommendations? And what do you go by? The doctor's scale or are you comfortable with what you have at home? I'm not concerned about for Teagan since I doubt I'll RF her until she hits 33 pounds, but I do see myself being concerned about Kaylie in the future as the gets closer to using a booster.

ADS

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
It is possible depending on the clothes she had on and the time of the day she was weighed :twocents:

I trust my scale at home more than my Dr scale only because it seems like I alwasy get a different reading on the Dr scale that is within 3 or 4 lbs in a 2 or 3 day period. My scale at home seems more acurate. It does not jump that drastic. It is just a Weight Watchers digital scale. It was all they had a Sears at the time.

mominabigtruck

I don't own a scale because as long as I can get into my pants I'm happy but I do weigh at my moms, I have no idea what kind of scale she has. Usually though I just check at the vets, yes I know it sounds weird but I'm always there picking something up and they have a digital scale in the waiting room.

sfeitler

We have a Tanita BF-681. We got it after my dad's recommendation. It gives pretty consistent weights from day to day, and it's close enough to the ped's scale to satisfy me.

-Sarah

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I find that scales are typically off for smaller kids. I don't see them getting accurate until the child weighs more than 40lbs or so... this is on the cheaper scales you can buy.

What we do is weigh ourselves, weigh ourselves holding the child, and then take the difference as the child's weight. I find the scale is pretty accurate to the dr's.

Still, I generally weigh my children at the local health center (free drop-in calibrated scale for both infants and children/adults). I'm also not one to wait until that very last pound before switching from RFing to FFing OR FFing to booster... so I don't need a really good scale at home.

The kids get weighed on a monthly basis until 12 months, then every three months until 24 months, then ~ every 6 months after that. I don't want to give them a weight complex as they get older... especially considering I was anorexic in high school and do *not* want my kids following suit.

SPJ&E

I agree that it's definitely possible. I'll sometimes weigh Pacey in just his underwear, then get him completely dressed and weigh him again. Sometimes the difference is only 1.5 lbs., sometimes it's 3 lbs...it just depends on the clothing.

My grandparents don't have an expensive scale...I think it was around $20-$30 and that's what we weigh the boys on. We get the same weights as we do at the doctor, so I think it's pretty accurate.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC