Need quick help! Nissan Titan/Regent install

chasingboys

I read somewhere that Nissan allows use of latch to the limits of the seat (even the Regent) is this true?

I'm installing a Regent for my friend today and I'm kind of nervous about doing sbp in a Nissan since I've heard so many horror stories, but obviously will install it properly. I'm so happy too because this is the friend that had her 59lb. 3y/o in an AO 3-1 (using the unuseable w/harness top spot and still using the harness) So I'm glad I talked her into the Regent!

Anyway, can we use latch over 48lbs in a Nissan?

Last edited:
ADS

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
According to this you can follow the car seat mfgr instructions. I would read the vehicle manual though in case it say different in the manual ;)

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yes, the Regent allows use of LATCH to 80 lbs. as long as the vehicle allows use of LATCH to 80 lbs.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I'm installing a Regent for my friend today and I'm kind of nervous about doing lbp in a Nissan since I've heard so many horror stories, but obviously will install it properly. I'm so happy too because this is the friend that had her 59lb. 3y/o in an AO 3-1 (using the unuseable w/harness top spot and still using the harness)

I think with children over 40lbs you now have to use SBP, not LBP?

chasingboys

I think with children over 40lbs you now have to use SBP, not LBP?

I meant SBP, and typed LBP...oops...off to edit now! :)

She's looking up the info in her trucks manual. I *heart* latch....so much easier! I'm definitely getting a Nissan as my next vehicle! lol

chasingboys

we looked in her manual and it did say you can use latch to the carseat manufactures recommendations, so I installed it latch (it's a pre 6/07 Regent) but I used Latch w/recline bar and it installed rock solid. I probably could have installed SBP with no problem also because the seatbelt stalk was different than on the Quest.

Connor's Mom

we looked in her manual and it did say you can use latch to the carseat manufactures recommendations, so I installed it latch (it's a pre 6/07 Regent) but I used Latch w/recline bar and it installed rock solid. I probably could have installed SBP with no problem also because the seatbelt stalk was different than on the Quest.

I'm confused. :confused:
If her truck manual states that LATCH can be used to the carseat manufactures recommendations then you have to go by the Regent LATCH limit which is 48 pounds. Is this install for the above described kiddo that is 59 pounds? If so you can't install with LATCH as he is 11 pounds over the limit and the seat must be installed with the seatbelt.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I'm confused. :confused:
If her truck manual states that LATCH can be used to the carseat manufactures recommendations then you have to go by the Regent LATCH limit which is 48 pounds. Is this install for the above described kiddo that is 59 pounds? If so you can't install with LATCH as he is 11 pounds over the limit and the seat must be installed with the seatbelt.

You are correct :thumbsup:
From Page 11 of the Regent manual

WARNING:Use vehicle belt (not LATCH connectors)
for installations with children weighing more than 48 pounds
(21 kg). Refer to the vehicle owner’s manual or contact the
vehicle manufacturer for the maximum weight rating for their lower anchors.
Unless specified otherwise by the vehicle manufacturer, assume a 48-pound
child is the vehicle LATCH anchor limit.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor

I am sorry. You will need to reinstall the Regent according to the carseat manual. Yes the Regent is good to 80 lbs, but you cannot use latch past 48 lbs per the manual. I am sure you will be able to get a good install using the SBP.

Link quoted in my reply to a PP.

You are correct :thumbsup:
From Page 11 of the Regent manual
WARNING:Use vehicle belt (not LATCH connectors)
for installations with children weighing more than 48 pounds
(21 kg). Refer to the vehicle owner’s manual or contact the
vehicle manufacturer for the maximum weight rating for their lower anchors.
Unless specified otherwise by the vehicle manufacturer, assume a 48-pound
child is the vehicle LATCH anchor limit.

Last edited:

chasingboys

Yes, the Regent allows use of LATCH to 80 lbs. as long as the vehicle allows use of LATCH to 80 lbs.

So then where did this come from? I'm going to have to reinstall then.

This is why I asked before I installed, I had every intention of installing it SBP, but I had read that with some Nissan's you can use latch (on the Regent up to 80lbs). so I wanted to confirm. Now, doesn't the above statement sound like I CAN install the Regent with latch past 48lbs if the car manual says it's ok?

I really need to get this clarified asap.

Last edited:

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
So then where did this come from? I'm going to have to reinstall then.

This is why I asked before I installed, I had every intention of installing it SBP, but I had read that with some Nissan's you can use latch (on the Regent up to 80lbs). so I wanted to confirm. Now, doesn't the above statement sound like I CAN install the Regent with latch past 48lbs if the car manual says it's ok?

I really need to get this clarified asap.

I know it is frustrating especially since you asked ahead of time. If you look at my 1st reply to you I state you can follow the car seat manufacturer instructions ;)
Yes, her statement sounds as if it is ok :(. But I it is in the Regent manual as I showed you and you cannot use LATCH past 48 lbs and that is what you need to go by. Reading the manual to both the vehicle and the car seat are the 1st two things you should do before installing a car seat.

ETA: Most vehicles are 40 or 48 lbs. There are a couple of vehicle that allow LATCH use to 60 lbs. I think Volvo is one of them. I would call tha car seat manufacture if the car seat said 48 lbs, but your vehicle said 60lbs and see what they said before installin with LATCH past 48lbs :twocents:

Last edited:

azgirl71

CPST Instructor

After readingthis statement again ....This is what I get from it. The KEY words in her statement are "As long as the vehicle allows use to 80 lbs" So she did not tell you incorrectly. She stated a fact that you can do that *IF* the vehicle says you can. The vehicle said to follow the car seat manufacture instructions ;)

Ogreenlee

Ok, this applies to me, too...

This is copied from the Regent manual:

IMPORTANT: Short route LATCH installation must
be used for children 40-80 lbs. See long route for
children 22-40 lbs.

So if Nissan says to refer back to Britax, then doesn't that mean that latch can be used up to 80lbs as long as the short route is used?

And with this warning:
WARNING! Use vehicle belt (not LATCH connectors) for installations
with children weighing more than 48 pounds (21 kg). Refer to the
vehicle owner’s manual or contact the vehicle manufacturer for the maximum
weight rating for their lower anchors. Unless specified otherwise by the vehicle
manufacturer, assume a 48-pound child is the vehicle LATCH anchor limit. Always use
the Versa-Tether® when installing for a child weighing more than 50 lbs
.(22.6 kg)

As long as the Versa-tether is being used, then it seems to me that it's fine to use the latch.

Ogreenlee

I just got off the phone with Britax. The lady wasn't all that helpful, but anyway....

She said that no matter what.. the latch cannot be used after 40lbs. period.

So, if the Nissan Quest (the van i drive) isn't fit to use the SBP, then I'm outta luck. :(

So frustrating.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
So if Nissan says to refer back to Britax, then doesn't that mean that latch can be used up to 80lbs as long as the short route is used?

As long as the Versa-tether is being used, then it seems to me that it's fine to use the latch.

No you cannot use LATCH to 80 lbs. The warning is clearly states you not to use LATCH for a child weighing more than 48 lbs.

The tether you can make a parental decsion to use the top tether past 48 lbs since it is not being used to to secure you car seat. You must have a tight seatbelt or Lower anchor (which ever applies to you) installation before attaching the top tether. The top tether is designed to help reduce forward head excursion in a crash not to keep your car seat installed. If it fails you seatbelt or lower anchors are already holding your car seat in. If you use lower anchors to install and your child is past the 48 lb limit then you are putting endangering your child. The lower anchors could fail and your top tether will probably not hold your car seat in since it is not designed to do so. This could cause your carseat go flying out of the vehicle with your child.
Hope this make sence to you.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I just got off the phone with Britax. The lady wasn't all that helpful, but anyway....

She said that no matter what.. the latch cannot be used after 40lbs. period.

So, if the Nissan Quest (the van i drive) isn't fit to use the SBP, then I'm outta luck. :(

So frustrating.

It is 48 lbs per Britax manuals and she is correct. Lower anchors could fail if used past 48 lbs.

Ogreenlee

So my other options for 5pt harness to 80lbs is the Radian80. I guess I should be lowering my weight limit to 65lbs, huh? I'll have more options.

alexysmommy

And with this warning:

yes, you can use latch IF you know what the limit is on your car, and it is over 48lbs. It clearly states that the 48lbs is a guideline to use IF you dont know what your limits are. But if there is no limit stated in the manual, you should go by the 48lbs...maybe call the car company, and see if they can give you a specific number?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC