Children in a forward facing seat putting their feet up on the seatback in front of them

MomToEliEm

How safe is it for kids put put their feet up on the seatback in front of them while they are sitting an a forward facing harnessed seat (I am not referring to a rearfacing install as this is a pretty common occurrence for rearfacing children and it doesn't appear to be unsafe for them)? My kids seem to think it is a fun thing to do, but I keep telling them to put their feet down. I would think that with their feet up like that could cause leg or spinal injuries in an accident.

Wasn't there a story about a lady who was paralyzed in a car accident because she had her feet up on the dash and the airbag deployed causing her spine to break. Probably the main culprit in this accident was the airbags which aren't going to affect a backseat driver.

Is there a real danger to a child putting their feet up instead of putting them down or sitting Indian style in their carseat?

ADS

Stretchy Glue

There is a danger in my car because I've threatened to chop dd's legs off if she keeps it up:cool:.

Honestly, I think there would be some danger, but not like the lady with the air bag. A ff child in a seat will move forward in a crash (depending on the type of crash) but the force of it won't be like the air bag. I do see your concern though.

Suzibeck

I don't think there would be much danger because if the child propping her legs is moving forward, so would the seat she is propping her legs on. With the airbag, it is coming out into the car, while the person is being pushed forward, into the airbag, so you have two things coming at one another. A whole different dynamic.

But, my kids get threatened for pushing their feet into the seatback as well. It isn't comfortable for the person getting pushed on.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't think there would be much danger because if the child propping her legs is moving forward, so would the seat she is propping her legs on. With the airbag, it is coming out into the car, while the person is being pushed forward, into the airbag, so you have two things coming at one another. A whole different dynamic.

But, my kids get threatened for pushing their feet into the seatback as well. It isn't comfortable for the person getting pushed on.

Agreed. The seat isn't going to be where it is now.

Is the seat that the feet are being put up on often used? My passenger seat is rarely used and so I took the headrest off of it. Piper puts her feet on top of it, rather than against the back. Plus she can see out better. I just keep the headrest in the car (shoved under the passenger seat so it's not a projectile) in case it's needed.

Wendy

Auntie2Avi

I don't see how big of a danger it could be because the seat is soft and cushy and will move forward in a crash. Avi does not wear shoes in my car because I do not need dirt on the back of the seat, but I still make him put his feet down. He is tall enough in the DC that he can rest his feet on the actual seat it is on, but who knows where he keeps them when I am turned around and trying to focus on driving rather than his feet.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I could see the concern for worry, but as the others said the vehicle seat will move forward since it is not a solid object unlike a airbag that is coming toward you.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
We actually have plastic seat protectors tied to the headrests of our front seats... Dd likes to put her feet up. I think it's a comfort thing and am fine with it as long as she doesn't kick me. I don't really see any danger in doing it.

(Although it is proof kids don't like their legs dangling. Lately she's taken to crossing her legs in her seat - which is more annoying because then she has her dirty boots that can get on the car seat and backseat.)

canadianmom2three

WOW - that is great info! My DS always rests his feet on the back end of our armrests (he sits center right behind DH and I, and I pull his seat forward) which I was ok with, but still questioned a bit...BUT DD loves to put her feet up on the seat in front of her, on the headrest, or even on the seat if it is folded down and I am forever telling her to stop it, but I never considered that the seat would move forward as well in a crash. I am guilty of putting my feet on the dash, I LOVE them there, and am trying so hard to break the habit:eek:

southpawboston

I just keep the headrest in the car (shoved under the passenger seat so it's not a projectile) in case it's needed.

i wouldn't want a cushion with two spears mounted on it coming at me during a rollover. under the passenger seat is not a safe location for all types of crashes. straight-on frontal, maybe. could you tie it somewhere under the trunk floor like to the jack or something?

amy919

I never really thought about it. I don't think it poses much of a risk, if any. When Kaylie was the in MA, she would rest her feet on the actual car seat. There was the perfect amount of space between the MA and car seat to allow for it. Occassionally, she rests her feet on the back of my seat, but that doesn't fly with Matt. It drives him crazy even though she's careful not to kick the seat. It doesn't bother me since I have leather seats and it's easy to wipe them clean. Now that she's in the Regent, she likes crossing her legs better. This actually bothers me more since the cover is constantly getting dirty :rolleyes:.

CRS

Senior Community Member
I personally don't think it's very safe at all, which was another reason we were glad to return my son to rear-facing. He'd kick my husbands seat whenever we drove (when he was FF) and would actually kick him in the head whilst he was driving - terribly dangerous! And I do see the point of the vehicle seat moving forwards towards the point of impact (assuming it were a head on) however I still think there is cause for slight concern, unlike a rear-ender which generally are of far, far less severity and speeds frontal crashes are quite different and are usually at greater speeds and of greater severity. In any case I don't think it's terribly ideal that's for sure! JMTCW

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
My other thought, is that the kids legs are going to move during the crash and it's highly unlikely they're going to stay against the seatback unless they have them up right on the top and their feet extend quite a ways forward.

I think it's Jolly Jumper who sells seat protectors. They're like a clear heavy duty plastic like a rain cover for a stroller. They have elastic around the bottom and ties on top to attach to the headrest. No dirty seatbacks and they really don't look bad either. ;)

mommy2env

Sorry to high-jack, but it is related. :) :whistle:

What do you all think about folding the front passenger seat, and letting them rest their feet on that. I have a Sienna, and my dd loves to do that. I honestly dont think it is a big deal. But I would like to know your opinions.

skipspin

Sorry to high-jack, but it is related. :) :whistle:

What do you all think about folding the front passenger seat, and letting them rest their feet on that. I have a Sienna, and my dd loves to do that. I honestly dont think it is a big deal. But I would like to know your opinions.

I did that in my Saturn when there was no front passenger and DD was FFing. She could see out more and could rest her feet on it.

I can't do that in my Jeep, but DD sits center and puts her feet on the front center consul. She's not allowed to kick it, but she is very good about not doing that. If she was sitting outboard I'd probably rig a foot-rest for her. I think little legs fall asleep when they dangle too long.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I thought some cars won't let you brace a child restraint against the seat in front of it because it could deactivate the passenger-side airbag. Is that a potential danger of kids pushing on the seat?

teekadog

There is a danger in my car because I've threatened to chop dd's legs off if she keeps it up:cool:..

Ditto. 5yo dc is long-legged, and the Mazda5 ain't exactly roomy. So she rests her feet on either side of the driver's head restraint. I try not to get angry, because I know there's no where else for her feet to go but :mad:

Edited to add: I don't let her keep them there, of course. The car has side air bags: 3-row curtain, and built into the front seats. I'll miss the constant stream of conversation, but I'm so looking forward to moving her to the 3rd row...

Last edited:

Niea

It seems unsafe to me but I am having trouble articulating why. Something about the angles of the legs and how they are straight out, not allowing the knees to be bent in case they are pushed upwards. If the legs were dangling down, they most likely would be pushed down, following the contour of the seat and allowing the knees to bend. I also do worry about what happens if the front seat back collapses backwards (there is a video of it on here somewhere).

I wonder, though, if creating a footrest out of pool noodle would make it more comfortable so the kids wouldn't push the seat in front of them?

southpawboston

I think it's Jolly Jumper who sells seat protectors. They're like a clear heavy duty plastic like a rain cover for a stroller. They have elastic around the bottom and ties on top to attach to the headrest. No dirty seatbacks and they really don't look bad either. ;)

or you could go the home-made/improvised route. i bought a painting apron from an arts supply store for $0.99. it fits pretty much just like those plastic ones that cost $10.

painting apron as seat protector

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC