ok what do I do?

Misty-Bug

I go to a mom's group on Friday mornings. Before Christmas break they sent out an evaluation thing and asked if there was anything we would like to see on the ciriculum.
I OF COURSE suggested car seat classes or information. I am NOT a tech and I don't think I am but she asked me if I would be interested in "teaching the class" sometimes in March or April. I responded and told her the only thing I can really do is provide the information I know but would look into seeing if there was a tech I can find.
Now..........is it ok for me to provide the information I know? Would it be ok for me to "teach" the class? I would be hesitant cause I would be afraid of giving out the wrong information. I gave her this website and was thinking of handing out cards with the information on them about the site.
Is there any kind of literature I can give out or something? Thanks

ADS

lovinwaves

The only input I have is...If you feel uncomfortable about giving out wrong info, then don't teach the class.

I went to my Breastfeeding Support Group where a technician was to come in and speak to everyone about CPS. Wellllll, she didn't show up and I kinda volunteered myself. Oh my goodness, did the questions come flying at me :eek: It's not so much teaching, but rather the questions that could be asked :twocents:

Maybe you could work with whichever tech that comes in to teach the class? Maybe help pass out brochures, and cards? Help her set up appointments? Bring in some carseats to show everyone? I'm sure alot of the questions you could answer, but she would be there just in case there was one you weren't sure about.

And kudos to your mom's group for wanting this to happen :D

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Do you have any techs around you?

Personally, I don't think it's the best idea for you to teach the class. Print off brochures that are pre-made & hand them out? Sure. But I don't think teaching it is something that's a good idea for a number of reasons... Perhaps most obviously because you're not a tech. You know the basics of reading your car manual, your carseat manual and how to check if the seat is installed properly, but there is more involved in what techs are taught in training & I think it's important to have that extra knowledge base if you're planning to educate a group of people.

There's also the factor that the parents are going to turn to you with questions and want answers - and if you can't provide the answers, they may not totally trust the other info you've provided. The other concern is that by teaching an informational class, you could open yourself up to liability. And then there's always the possibility that the other parents in the class are going to turn to you and want you to check all of their seats and fix any mistakes. Which again creates a ton of liability for you.

So I'd suggest either getting certified since I know it's something you'd like to do, finding someone else to teach the course, or else just creating a packet of information. I know AB has pamphlets that are free for us to handout. I'm thinking ICBC might have pamphlets as well. Additionally, TC has a brochure on their website called 1-2-3-4 Car Time. The brochure might not reflect as much best practice as what we recommend, but it is accurate information coming from a reliable source & you're not going to incur any liability by handing out brochures TC has made up. :twocents:

Speaking personally, even immediately after I was certified, I would not have been able to provide as much information accurately and confidently if I had taught a class then, as I would be able to now after having talked to many many more parents individually. Even once you're certified there is an ongoing learning process. So I'm responding to your question with the self awareness that despite the knowledge I had before my course, I still learned a lot. And that despite how much more I knew coming out of my course, I am now much more confident in what I tell parents, and am much more experienced with sizing up individual situations and making the best recommendation in an unbiased way. And I fully believe that that's something that only the education coupled with the ongoing experience can provide.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
:yeahthat:

I wouldn't if I were you and not a tech. I would wait to teach a class until you are tech and have more experience with seat events. I think handing out information is okay but you might be put on the spot with difficult questions that you might not be able to answer if you try to "teach" a class. I also think that parents would take it better coming from technician instead of another parent even if they are passionate about the topic.

If you are nervous about answering questions and giving out the wrong info then I would see if you could find a tech to come in and teach the class. Maybe ask QuesEE if she is interested or see if there is someone she would recommend.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
No.

You are not a tech and do not have the tools to be able to answer the questions that would arise from that kind of a class.

I would wait to teach a class until you are both certified *and* have experience helping at seat check events.

Getting an experienced tech from the area (QuassEE?) would be a better idea.

Misty-Bug

I did respond with a no and told her that I will try to help find someone. I emailed the lady I have been emailing about the classes

QuasEE....anyone know what she charges? We are a small group and don't have tons, if any, of money. Maybe that is why the lady thought about me doing it.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I did respond with a no and told her that I will try to help find someone. I emailed the lady I have been emailing about the classes

QuasEE....anyone know what she charges? We are a small group and don't have tons, if any, of money. Maybe that is why the lady thought about me doing it.

Good for you Misty!

As for what QuasEE charges, i'm not sure, you would have to ask her about that.

Misty-Bug

here is what she said.........so it sounds more like a casual thing just saying what I know about it. Here is also my response.

"Actually, I think i have the date down for the end of January...I am not looking for a "professional" (certified) talk...just sharing all the info you know, referring to the site, can even print it off and highlight a few topics in it for discussion, etc... I just think since you know a lot and are passionate about it, it would be nice to encourage you to share! :)"

my response:
"that is nice and I would love to share the only thing is that I am scared of not providing right answers or info and I don't want to be liable. If you get a tech in she/he can actually inspect seats too and make sure they are installed right. As I would, cause I know what my seats are but again cause I don't have a certificate I can't really do anything cause of liability again. Plus coming from a tech people would be more likely to listen rather then coming from just me. Know what I mean? I would really love to do it but if we can get a tech, and I may know someone if they aren't busy although I am not sure what they would charge, we can make sure seats are installed well and I would feel more confident with that. Also I don't have a printer and the best I can do is offer the site but if we have a tech he/she is there to teach about it and then I know that people are leaving there full of knowledge rather then relying on them to look things up where some may not have time. Being busy mothers and all. LOL.
I hope I am not disappointing you."

Niea

If it's a very casual thing to only a handful of people, I think you could still make something of it if you can't get a tech there.

First thing's first, I'd give the disclaimer that you're not a tech and can't really give out advice or answer because you're not legally able to. But, you can distribute flyers and stuff that talk about ERF, EH, 5-step test, etc. Tell them that they need to read both their car's manual and the carseat's manual. Mention that some seats have higher weight/high limits than others and that they need to look at the specs (particularly for the 3-in-1s). Give them the phone number of some techs in the area or info on any upcoming seat checks. Tell them if they have any questions or need assistance with a seat, they should contact a local tech or at least come online here to this site to ask. Basically, don't say anything that isn't printed on a flyer ;)

I would think that as long as the flyers you hand out clearly come from a legit agency (SafeKids, etc) and you continously stress that you cannot provide any advice or recommendations, it would be okay. Essentially, you're just there to pass on info that's already distributed elsewhere and to direct them to the right place to ask their questions.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC