Sarah Tilton's response about Britax rf to 35#

melniemi

A tech emailed her for me and here is her response:

Okay, here is what Sarah Tilton emailed this morning. She said I could pass it on.

"In technicality current seats labeled at 33 lbs. would accommodate a 35 lb. child BUT are labeled to 33 lbs. so, they must be used as labeled.
The ADT (or dummy) that is used for the max. weight capacity for FR use will certify it up to 35 lbs., we did not up the weight limit to 35 lbs. for whatever reason. There is always a concern that whatever you have as a cutoff line an end user will try to push the limit.......what is an extra pound or two......

In the California presentations I stated as platforms are being recertified for other product changes, it is anticipated that the RF weight capacity will increase on the labels and user guide to 35 lbs.
This is in progress.

Even with this information........I cannot tell you or anyone else to use a seat beyond what is labeled for.

I hope this helps and I will address the dissemination of this information with the Customer Service Manager.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any other questions or concerns."

So what is the verdict from all of you??? Would you do it?

ADS

Starlight

Senior Community Member
This line "There is always a concern that whatever you have as a cutoff line an end user will try to push the limit"

If they added a cushion to the 33 lbs limit... is there a cushion to the 35 lb limit?

But no. I wouldn't. Not unless my kid was 18 months or younger and 33+ lbs, and even then, I'd look at different ("legal") options first.

melniemi

I'm honestly not too worried about the 35# limit because baby is 17# and almost a year. She'll be 4 before she hits the 33# limit, I think. My 3.5 yo would've been able to rf for another year if I had gone to the 35# limit. She has been ffing since last Feb when she hit 33#s and is bouncing between 34 and 35 now.

Just wondering what everyone else thought!

skaterbabs

It would totally depend on circumstances. Braced and tethered with a kid under 3? Only if it were my OWN child and only if I could not buy a 35 lb limit seat.

amy919

I wouldn't do it. But seeing as how my 5 year old just hit 35 pounds, it's not really an issue for me.

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
No, I wouldn't do it.

My DD just recently weighed in at 32 pounds, so I'm getting ready to turn her MA. I'm not interested in pushing the limit.

Chex

I'm really tempted to do it. My kids all hit 33 lbs by the time they were just over 2. My 2 1/2 year old is wavering between 33 and 35 lbs. And if I would have known this before, I might not have turned her FFing. But she's FFing now, and I'm not going to turn her back around at this point. But my baby (4 mo) is in a BLVD, and if she grows as fast as her siblings, I might be tempted to leave her RFing beyond 33 lbs in it.

I would love it if my kids were smaller and I could leave them RFing forever like some of you can, but with a 6'4" daddy and a 5'10" mommy, it's just not going to happen! :) So squeezing a couple of extra months out of the BLVD is very tempting to me.

-Ann

Mama!

For my ds? I'd buy the newest DOM Boulevard I could find and do it.

Definetely a parental decision I'd make :thumbsup:

The SIP plus RF tether would absolutely seal the deal for me.

MsFacetious

If my child was under 2, I didn't have any other options... and I could use a Boulevard that was braced and tethered... yes, I would do it. I actually might have felt better about that, than I did the Scenera to be honest. Since it just "seems" more secure... lol

So yeah, I'd make the parental decision if I felt the circumstances warranted it. And, I wouldn't have worried so much about flipping right at 33lbs either.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I probably wouldn't have a problem using a 30lbs CDN Marathon to it's 33lbs US counterparts limits because I *know* they are the same seat... but I would probably only make the decision to do that if I had a 30lbs child that was under 12 months old... after that age, I'd probably switch them FFing.

Not sure if that answers your question or not, but I don't think there's that many 35lbs one year olds around.

luvmy2

That makes me feel better about turning DS rf'ing again. He is right around 31 lbs depending on the time of day, so I know I have a while now to keep him rf'ing. :)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Nope, wouldn't do it unless kiddo was under 1yr old and it was impractical to buy a seat with a 35lb rf'ing limit.

I feel the same way about the 30lb limit on our rf'ing seats in Canada. If a child is under 1yr old I would consider using the seat to the US limit. But over 1yr old I wouldn't.

But I'm also not one to break the rules. :p

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Phew...My dd snuck up on 35 pounds 'overnight' when she was 4.5, I'm so glad she wasn't in danger those couple weeks I didn't measure her... (in her braced and tethered upright Marathon...)

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Thanks for posting her response. I figured it would be along those lines. I would not use past 33lb label. It is not a chance worth taking.

steph

I'm not sure what I would do (it depends on when Ryan hits 33 pounds). My goal to rearface is to 3 and he is 30 pounds right now.

I do know that I would feel comfortable letting him use the seat through 33 pounds rather than turning him forward facing at 31-32pounds though (based on that email).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC