Combo seat vs dedicated booster question

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I'm pretty unknowledgable when it comes to boosters and I know I need to work on that. We're not there yet and I rarely see them at checks so it's hard. I was looking at the post on the chat forum w/ pics of the kids in combo seats and they just didn't look right. The belts look really high on their stomachs, is this normal for that kind of seat?

ADS

Stretchy Glue

I think for the skinnier kiddos, it's pretty typical. The lap portion does ride high on the tummy, just one of the many reasons we don't rec. them as boosters. They tend to hold the shoulder portion away from the torso, the belt guides tend to interfere witht the shoulder portion retracting, they tend to be shorter and outgrown early (my dd is not 6 yet, but is too tall to use one as a booster). Honestly, the list goes on, and the only reason I wanted pictures is because in this class I'm teaching, I'm trying to show photos of all types of current seats being used, and used correctly for day care providers. I'll be very honest with the providers when I show the pictures and tell them that they aren't a very good option.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I understand why you wanted them and I knew some of the other reasons they're not the greatest, I just had not ever realized I guess how high the belts ride. Most people here use dedicated boosters so I'm used to seeing those and even w/ AJ, I didn't notice how high the belt rode. I was just thinking it might be something I need to pay more attention to at checks (like I mentioned, we almost never see boosters of any kind and we have dedicated ones when we give them out) and pass on to parents.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I know Coscos for sure are way too high (IIHS even uses them as an example of a BAD seat!). And now that you jar my memory, my old Evenflo Sightseer (Express...Chase without armrests, though the belt runs behind the armrests on the Chase, so it must be just as bad), was utterly horrible on my 3 yo, not so bad on my 5 yo. IIRC the Cargo isn't so bad in that respect (but pushes the shoulderbelt out too far on skinny kids...).

Evenflo Generations and Cosco Apex are a little better as boosters, I THINK... (shoulderbelt wise, at least...)

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
It's supposed to be in the mid 40s this week (heat wave!) so I might have to take some pics. I have an Apex and a Chase and an Airway. I have a backless Turbo here somewhere too, but no dedicated boosters beyond that.

ThreeBeans

Lookee at this (a Dorel AOE)

:thumbsdown:

100_1751.jpg

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
That's pretty much how AJ looked in it as well, and he was over the 4/40# mark when he used it. :( I can imagine the Apex is even worse b/c it's so wide. I always joke the boys could both use it at the same time!

Stretchy Glue

DD has only used a combo once as a booster. When she outgrew the Chase we bought one Turbo because dh was laid off (for the 5th month:eek:) and couldn't afford anything more. We converted the Chase in his truck to a booster but dh, who usually does what he's told car seat wise;), refused to use it again. We ended up switching the turbo until he went back to work.

Jordynsmama

Jordyn used the AOE as a booster for a while when she turned 4 and it fit her decently but maybe came a little higher toward her tummy, although a dedicated booster fits better-

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC