Do kids cry when you turn them FF?

mamaofthree

My son is 17 months and 25 lbs, so he is still RF, but he is the first of my three kids to be ERF. I'm just curious if ERF kids get upset when they hit the weight limit and get turned around suddenly, since they are older and more used to being RF? Or are they that much more joyous? I know my girls loved turning FF at one yearish. But they both hated the car and screamed in their infant seat, which ds has never done, so I can't compare directly. I'm just curious whether he'll get all confused and dizzy when he turns FF someday. He shouldn't, he rides in a stroller, walks forward, and goes for wagon and bike trailer rides. I guess I'm just thinking out loud here.

Kimberly

ADS

MommyBoha

My DD, whom, before I knew better, was FF at 12 months. She HATED it! A few months later, I learned of ERF and flipped her tiny butt back around and she is so happy! I dread when she does have to FF again(but who kows how long that will be since she is 2 and only 24 lbs)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
My dd was excited both times she was turned ff'ing. The first time she was 18mos old, the 2nd time she was almost 3 and much more verbal, and she kept on exclaiming how she was riding backwards. It was the funniest thing. She still says she's backwards every once in awhile. :p

I think she giggled most of the trip the first time she was turned around. The 2nd time she was too busy talking about red & green lights and stopping and going. LOL.

natysr

My son hated the car as an infant. He was better when moving to a convertible. Now, he is happy as a lark RF at 3 years old. We did turn him FF for 1 trip to see some Christmas lights. When we first left the house (even before getting to the lights), he was so giggly and giddy. Then he would SCREAM "STOP Daddy STOP", when we were 300 feet away from a stop sign. :D He kept telling DH how to drive. He's a worse backseat driver than I am. I wondered if he would complain when I turned his seat back to RF, but he didn't. It was just as if it was any other day. He didn't even notice.

Ali

When we turned DD FF she kept telling me her seat was backwards. She did inititally complain that she had nowhere to put her legs. She now crosses them at the ankles or sits criss cross.

She is so blasted annoying now that she's FF! She talks non-stop and is a horrible backseat driver. She tells us where to go and which way to turn.

Lara

Mine did! For about 3 weeks... That was not a fun time. I think because I always told her how safe she was rf, that she thought she was UNsafe ff (no matter how many times I told her it was ok!). She also couldn't figure out what to do with her legs, but now they are finally long enough to put them up on my seat in front of her :rolleyes:.

Morganthe

I had to put dd in a German ff seat around 18 months.
Her response....

WHEEEEEEEE!:D

Even though I had a mirror on her seat so she could see us rfing, it was as if she was now a part of the family, especially on those long car rides over 2 hours.

I thought I was doing good to keep her rfing as long as we did
:shrug-shoulders:

mamaofthree

Hee hee, it's interesting to read the various responses. I guess we'll see huh? As for now, he loves RF. He's in the Sienna's middle row captain chair, pushed toward the center, with one big sister right next to him. The other sis he can see sitting in the back row. He gets all kinds of attention. :love:

Momto1bigkiddo

I don't remember my son crying when we turned him forward, but I do remember him not sleeping! He did not sleep nearly as often in the car once we turned him FFing.

He was 13 months old (33 lbs). I wish I had bought the Scenera back then, because he didn't hit 36 lbs until nearly a year later! He could have stayed rear-facing all those extra months for 40 bucks.

ThreeBeans

My son complained bitterly. He didn't like having his legs dangle. Poor kid.

But he got over it pretty fast, within a few car rides.

super_grape

our oldest was turned early due to some pretty
amazing tantrums but when we bought her a MA
right before her sister was born and turned her
back around, she LOVED it and was not a happy
camper when she outgrew the seat rfing.
every now and then she'll ask if she can sit
"upside down" again:D.

3acorns4Christy

My 20 month old has been FF a few times, he was 32lbs before he got sick so he was FF for about 2 weeks. He would scream after getting in, then would say "WHEE".
He dropped weight to 26lbs, he didn't eat for a week and still ran everywhere, he went back RF and hasn't complained.

southpawboston

it really depends on the child (and maybe the seat).

DD1 was somewhat guarded when we first turned her FF. she looked really serious, taking in the new scenery, but never protested. after about two days like that she began to really like it. she has *never* complained of leg or back pain while FF (and boy is she a complainer in general :rolleyes:).

katiesmommy

I think it really depends on the child. The first few times me DD was forward she screamed and cried and was handing me her feet (it was someone else's car, and I was sitting next to her). Anyhow, yeah she really hated it. But she seems to do better now, she still prefers rearfacing when I can get her seat in that way, but she doesn't scream when she's forward anymore.

MyLittleTyke

Senior Community Member
My 1st was 3 years and 1 week old. He didn't cry. It was definately a new sensation for him. For a couple weeks, he kept saying, "mommy, watch out for that mailbox. don't hit that other car." etc etc. It was cute. He was more uncomfortable on long trips tho as he had no place to put his legs.

SPJ&E

Pacey was 3 years, 8 days old when we turned him FF (that was about 3 weeks ago). He had never been FF before at all. I had talked to him a few weeks before and told him that when he was older/bigger, he could ride forward-facing in the car and that would be safe for him. When I went out and brought his seat in the house, he asked what I was doing. When I told him we were going to turn his seat around now, he gasped and said "I'm bigga!!!"...he was so excited!

The look on his face when the car started moving was a "huh?" look and he just stared at the window in amazement. For the first few trips (still does it sometimes), everytime we'd stop the car, he would tell us "Leave my seat like this...I'm going in the store (or wherever), leave it like this."

He doesn't really complain more/less either way, so I can't say what he "prefers". I do know he'd have a cow if I tried to turn him back around though. He does sometimes complain about his legs...he really doesn't like them hanging down. He also complains more about his boy parts being squished or "stuck" as he says...I am guessing that's because the angle is different. Like I said though, the complaining hasn't increased...he's just a complainer and will ALWAYS find something to complain about.

mommy4girls

Senior Community Member
Ilana was VERY upset, but I don't remember her crying. She still asks all the time to go back rear facing. To the point that she tells me, "I think I lost some weight, can you put me the other way":whistle: She was SO excited when she heard that the RN might be recertified to rear face to a higher weight (didn't happen:().

I prefer them rear facing that way I don't hear, "you're going to fast" or "WATCH out!".:rolleyes:

mommy4girls

Senior Community Member
Ilana was VERY upset, but I don't remember her crying. She still asks all the time to go back rear facing. To the point that she tells me, "I think I lost some weight, can you put me the other way":whistle: She was SO excited when she heard that the RN might be recertified to rear face to a higher weight (didn't happen:().

I prefer them rear facing that way I don't hear, "you're going to fast" or "WATCH out!".:rolleyes:

K, someone on another board asked about turning kids ffing and when. It was then I remembered about Ilana and the infamous ride to Oregon:p Ilana had just turned 2 and dh decided that for a pleasant ride Ilana would ride forward facing. So he put her in Kendra's Futura (Kendra and the oldest two went with Gma and Gpa to help BIL and SIL get ready for their wedding, where we were heading). Ilana was MISERABLE for hours. No movie, song or book was going to sooth her. We finally stopped in Medford and Ilana managed to tell dh that she wanted her RA (don't blame her there, the Futura is much less padded than the RA) and she wanted it REAR FACING. She was quiet the rest of the way and dh didn't make a peep about turning her around again:whistle::D

skaterbabs

When Joy was little we had a RA and one of the old Fisher Price Safe Embrace convertibles. The FPSE had a 30 lb RF limit and the RA had a 33 lb RF limit, so she had to be FF around 22-23 mos in the FPSE. She SCREAMED FF. And screamed. And screamed.

Then we replaced the RA with the MA and gave the FPSE to someone without a seat. Around 26 mos she hit 33 lbs. We needed a spare seat anyway, so we bought a Touriva and used the MA FF in other cars. She still screamed FF in the MA.

We almost imported a Swedish seat because she screamed so much. Fortunately, by the time she outgrew the Touriva RF, she got over it, but it was a good 6 mos of her screaming EVERY time she was FF.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC