Would you be comfortable with this??

amyd

We bought a Snugride for this baby that's on the way. DH & I tried to install it in the center position of our 2004 Honda Civic today (with seatbelt, of course). We have sliding buckles so used the locking clip provided with the seat. We put considerable pressure on the base and followed all directions in the manual for installing with the kind of seatbelt we have. However, we could not get it tight enough, even with both of us applying pressure to the base. There were at least 2-3 inches of movement in the belt path, regardless of what we did. So we tried it outboard with the LATCH...so much easier to install and went in very tightly. The base doesn't budge with the LATCH. I know that theoretically it is safer to have the seat in the center position, however, if the install is not as tight, there goes the safety thing, right? Would you be comfortable with the seat outboard in this situation?

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Correct- the center is only safer if you can get a good installation there.

If you are able to get a rock-solid installation outboard with LATCH, then that is the place for your seat! :)

Have you had a tech try?

natysr

The safest place in the car is wherever you can get a solid install.

That being said, Your seat belt should lock automatically at the retractor. I think you were looking for it only to lock at the latchplate. You shouldn't need the locking clip at all. If you try it again in the center, buckle the base in, then pull the shoulder portion of the seatbelt all the way out and then feed it back into the retractor, it will lock. Then continue to put pressure on the base, while tighening the shoulderbelt more and more.

amyd

The safest place in the car is wherever you can get a solid install.

That being said, Your seat belt should lock automatically at the retractor. I think you were looking for it only to lock at the latchplate. You shouldn't need the locking clip at all. If you try it again in the center, buckle the base in, then pull the shoulder portion of the seatbelt all the way out and then feed it back into the retractor, it will lock. Then continue to put pressure on the base, while tighening the shoulderbelt more and more.

Okay, I will try that. The manual is quite clear about the type of belt we have needing a clip, though. :confused:

natysr

Okay, I will try that. The manual is quite clear about the type of belt we have needing a clip, though. :confused:

hmm...the vehicle manual, or the carseat manuel? I certainly wouldn't advise going against the manual. But, I'm almost certain your center seatbelt would have an ALR. I had a 2001 Civic and now have a 2006 Civic and both had ALR belts in the center. Does your carseat manuel mention ALR belts?

LuvBug

That is if they don't lock in some way of their own, you use a locking clip. If you pull the seatbelt all the way out it should switch into ALR mode and hold when you try to pull it back out. Sometimes these belts are difficult to use on a rearfacing seat because the shoulderbelt pulls upward on the shell and causes the seat to tip.
You can try it that way, but if you get a better install outboard with LATCH, then you did good :thumbsup:

here you can find a bunch of videos of installing a rearfacing seat. They should help you see if there is any other technique to try http://carseatsite.com/videos.htm#rear-facing videos

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Yep, outboard is definitely safest in the situation you're describing.

Given how the base likes to tilt when installing it with a locking seatbelt, I'd probably use the locking clip in the middle. I'm not sure about your car, but I know most Honda's I've seen have long or long'ish buckle stalks. It's fine to twist the buckle stalk up to 3 complete twists in order to get a proper install.

What my suggestion would be as well, is to when you unbuckle the seatbelt to put the locking clip on, manually take about 1/2" to 1" slack from the seatbelt before putting on the locking clip. IE slide the latchplate about 1/2 to 1" to shorten the lap section of the belt, then put on the locking clip. Then have one person maneuver the buckles, and the other put a ton of pressure on the base to rebuckle it. If you end up having the belt too tight, you can always lengthen it a little bit by reversing the process.

My guess though would be that twisting the buckle stalk will fix your problem.

amyd

hmm...the vehicle manual, or the carseat manuel? I certainly wouldn't advise going against the manual. But, I'm almost certain your center seatbelt would have an ALR. I had a 2001 Civic and now have a 2006 Civic and both had ALR belts in the center. Does your carseat manuel mention ALR belts?

The carseat manual mentions ALR belts, but only talks about and pictures lap ALR belts. It also talks about & pictures Combination Lap/Shoulder Belt with Sliding Latchplate (the picture matches our belts) and says that you must use a locking clip unless there is another way to convert the belt:confused: I'm going to go try it again....

natysr

Yep, outboard is definitely safest in the situation you're describing.

Given how the base likes to tilt when installing it with a locking seatbelt, I'd probably use the locking clip in the middle. I'm not sure about your car, but I know most Honda's I've seen have long or long'ish buckle stalks. It's fine to twist the buckle stalk up to 3 complete twists in order to get a proper install.

What my suggestion would be as well, is to when you unbuckle the seatbelt to put the locking clip on, manually take about 1/2" to 1" slack from the seatbelt before putting on the locking clip. IE slide the latchplate about 1/2 to 1" to shorten the lap section of the belt, then put on the locking clip. Then have one person maneuver the buckles, and the other put a ton of pressure on the base to rebuckle it. If you end up having the belt too tight, you can always lengthen it a little bit by reversing the process.

My guess though would be that twisting the buckle stalk will fix your problem.

So, I suppose one could also install using the ALR only then hold the lap/shoulder portion tight with your fingers while unbuckling it. You have a place marker, so to speak on where the put the locking clip. Then let the belt out at the retractor to deactive it and rebuckle it as you mentioned. No guesswork.

natysr

The carseat manual mentions ALR belts, but only talks about and pictures lap ALR belts. It also talks about & pictures Combination Lap/Shoulder Belt with Sliding Latchplate (the picture matches our belts) and says that you must use a locking clip unless there is another way to convert the belt:confused: I'm going to go try it again....

the other way to convert the belt would be the ALR. They really should make it more clear in the manuel. Good luck.

amyd

Okay...I'm unconfused now:) The belts DO lock automatically...I tried pulling it out all the way and letting it back in with my knee in the base. That worked much better, although I'm still happier with the LATCH installation, I think. There's still less movement in the belt path with the LATCH. The shoulder belt also seems to tilt the base up a bit.

THANK YOU!!!:)

natysr

Okay...I'm unconfused now:) The belts DO lock automatically...I tried pulling it out all the way and letting it back in with my knee in the base. That worked much better, although I'm still happier with the LATCH installation, I think. There's still less movement in the belt path with the LATCH.

THANK YOU!!!:)

You are very welcome. It is perfectly safe to install it outboard. I just didn't want you to think the center was impossible.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
You are very welcome. It is perfectly safe to install it outboard. I just didn't want you to think the center was impossible.

:yeahthat:

(Twisting the buckle stalk might give you an install you would be happy with, but again, it's perfectly safe outboard. :thumbsup: )

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
With the snugride base and a seatbelt that locks at the retractor...she wants to use the locking clip. Otherwise she'll be reinstalling it constantly. The locking retractor will cause the base to tip to the side...not locking the belt and using the locking clip is the fix.

Susan

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC