Help me decide - MA/DC/RA?

DairyQueen

I have been lurking for awhile on this board, and I have to say that you are all so helpful and knowledgeable. And after absorbing WAY more information than I ever thought possible about car seats (and yet, still thirsting for more...could this be the start of an addiction?) I am finally going to ask for opinions! I truly, truly appreciate any input.

DS will be 6 months old in a couple weeks, weighs 17 lbs., and is about 27 in. tall. He is currently in a Chicco Keyfit (the one that goes to 22 lbs/30 in). We have a little time before we need to switch to a convertible, but I'm trying to figure out soon which one(s) to get. I drive a 2007 Acura MDX, DH drives a BMW sedan. We are planning on getting a seat for each car, but not necessarily right away.

Some considerations: Cost is not a factor. We are planning on having another child sometime in 2009, and perhaps one more after that one, so we're talking about 2-3 seats in a row in the backseat. I want this seat to last as long as possible, so I'm looking at the higher weight-limit harnessed seats. We also want to have him RF'ing as long as the seat allows. Here is what I've narrowed it down to:

~Britax DC. (I like the extra pillows in the DC, but am wary about the harness-adjustment button issues. Did Britax fix this?
Are the extra crotch strap positions in the DC worth it?)

~Britax MA (Can other 'after-market' pillows be added to the MA to make it more napper-friendly, or will these be a cause of frustration?)

~Radian 65 or 80 (I think this will definitely be one of the 2 we get, just for the ease of use when flying! Maybe we'll just get 2 of these? But as a primary seat, is it comfy enough? I would only consider the 80 in order to have the pillows. Again with the pillows :).

~Recaro Signo (this one is intriguing, however after all the issues I've been reading about on this site I'm not sure about it. But it seems so close to perfect!)

** I would have the Britax BV on this list, but the head pillow-wings are just so thick, and my son HATED the head support on his Keyfit. I think light head support would be okay though, especially if the rest of the seat wasn't overly confining.

** I'd also have the Britax Regent on here, but it is GINORMOUS. Or should that not really matter? :confused:

What do you all think?

I know this post is really long, but I appreciate any help and opinions!

ADS

minismom

There are others here better qualified to give you advice, but since no one answered yet I'll tell you what i know.

The regent is a FF only seat, so not really good for your situation. And you're right, it is huge and would not work in a 3 across situation in the future.

The Radian is a very cool seat and great for travel BUT it has a very tall shell and when installed RF is pretty much stuck at a 45 degree angle so it takes up a lot of space front to back. I also heard it can be a tricky install RF and has some compatibility issues so with this seat more than ever I'd say try it before you buy. Also it won't fit in airplane RF except maybe in the bulkhead. This might be a good choice when your current baby is done RF and you need a narrow seat to help fit the 3 across.

Have you checked out the Britax Diplomat? it has headwings kind of like the Blvd but they're more angled out, so not as restricting. Yes, it only goes to 40lbs and has a shorter shell so it will be outgrown sooner but if you're planning on having 2 other children to pass it down to you'll still get a lot of use out of the seat. The advantadge being that because it's smaller it will take up less space front to back and is lighter and easier to travel with than the MA. I'm also trying to decide which convertible to get soon so I'll wait and see what else people say. Good luck!

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I don't have experiance with the Signo, so I can't say there.

I love my Britax seats (MA's and BV) and the way they install easily plus the RF tether option. Britax also has the new Diplomat. It is basically a mini version of a BV that RF's to 35 lbs.

The Radian is a much narrower seat than the Britax seats. You will have more room on either side. I do not know how it will install in your vehicle. It is a very tall shell and does take up a lot of space Rfing as the PP said. I will tell you the only difference between the Radina 80 and 65 are the padding. So unless you want all the infant inserts for the extra money I would just get a 65. The harness heeight is the same on both seats.

ETA: You cannot add aftermarket broducts to Britax seats. You can however use a rolled up recieving blanket.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
All of them are based on the same shell but with minor differences. I've never owned a DC, but I hear (or, have read on here) that some folks have a hard time with the adjuster, IIRC. If your son didn't like the wings on the BV, then you're right - that's probably out. So I think you can't go wrong with a Marathon. The PP was right about the install angle of a rear-facing Radian. If you get a MA now, then you can also use with with two in the back seat. Then when you have #3, move the eldest to a narrow seat (Radian or whatever is available at that point in time). I personally wouldn't buy a seat now based on future child arrangements because seats do expire, so if you're planning two children in advance, then you're losing alot of time on a seat just for the purpose of fitting three across and maybe missing out on a great seat with super-easy installs in most vehicles. :twocents:

JerseyGirl'sMama

I also drive an 07 MDX, :love:!!!!

I am not a CPST, but I thought I would give you my opinion about the vehicle and our Signo. What I love about the MDX is you have LATCH with all three, 2nd row, seating positions.

My DD is 11 months old. About 1 1/2 months ago, we switched her from her infant seat, (Britax Companion) to the Signo. I don't have any experience with any of the other seats you asked about. The Signo is a great seat, although I do have a few minor complaints:

-It is large. When installed center RF, there is enough room to have a passenger (myself or DH) sit beside it, on the passenger side. I could probably install any of the other seats you talked about, but, I haven't actually tried. The driver's side is a different story. There is not near as much room on that side. I doubt I could get anything installed safely on that side.
-The straps twist frequently near the belt tongue. That drives me crazy sometimes. I have to be very careful putting her in and taking her out, so that I don't twist those.
-The chest clip seems like it slips down a little (like 1/2") sometimes. I don't know why. I keep a careful eye on it.

For us, it is the right seat. We may have one more baby, may not. The way I see it, every carseat has it's pros and cons. The Signo's pros outweigh the cons for us!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC