Outgrowing (somewhat) the Marathon and Roundabout

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
At what age did your children need to use the top slots on the Marathon?
(I know it depends on torso vs. leg length, but I am just curious about the average age at which they needed to use the top slots).

After they needed the top slots, about how long did they have left in the seat? In other words, for approximately how long will kids use the top slots on the seat?
Again, I know it depends on torso vs. leg length, but I am curious about the AVERAGE use.

How about with the Roundabout?

At what age did your children need to use the top slots on the Roundabout?

How long after they began using the top slots did they outgrow the seat?

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I moved ds' straps up when he was 3yrs, he is now 3.5yrs and has hardly gone above them so I can't tell you when it was outgrown.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Thanks!

I am worried about the fact that a not-quite-23-month-old is needing the top slots. Granted, she is *just barely* above the second-to-top slots, but she is.

Hmm...

NOAHSMOM

I bought the seat when my son was 3 yrs 6 months and he was even with the second to top slots in my car and just under in his dad's car. His torso growth has really slowed down though in the past year and I could see him not out-growing the harness until he is six.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
My dd1 started using the top slots on the MA when she went forward facing at 4.5, then she fit till 6, so 18 months.
My dd2 is FF in the Roundabout Daddy's car now at 23 months (no flames...it's in the middle, she rides in there once a week--max--, and it's the only seat he hasn't removed for office work and both my other kids fit outboard easily and peacefully), using the top slots... I HOPE she gets at least 18 months still in her Roundabout... :/. (I should post a picture, the girl looks simply huge, I never would have thought MY offspring would be in the top slots before age 2!!!)

arly1983

Waaaaaa!

Do you remember how everyone said that the torso growth slows down when I posted these pics?

This was in Jan of 2007 (we were having a hot spell) He was higher when it was installed and that was right before a MAJOR growth spurt.
Picture069.jpg

This was May of 2007
Picture130-2.jpg

The BV on top position in Sept 2007
Picture420.jpg

Now in Jan of 2008 he is just a smidge below the top slots and is showing sign of another growth spurt (not sure in the legs or torso yet)

So for us, a year, but I don't think that is normal?

He outgrew the RA at 25 months, I think.

ETA: I need to get a picture of him in the MA right now but he is at MIL's house. We are packing (and I am hiding from DH right now)

skaterbabs

Joy has been in the top slots of her MA since her 3rd birthday. Barring a major growth spurt, I wouldn't be surprised that she makes it to 5 (or close to it) before outgrowing the seat.

Lara

I moved my dd's marathon straps up to the top slots about 3-4 months after her 3rd birthday (probably august when I moved them up). She has probably an inch and a half (maybe) left, but that is ONLY after she's been sitting in the seat for awhile. She's got about 3/4 of an inch when I put her in :eek:.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I know it is VERY hard to tell me this without seeing pictures or knowing how to predict the future :)p), but how much time do you *think* a 23-month-old whose shoulders are just above the second-to-top slots has in the Marathon?

I checked to make sure that her shoulders are actually just above the actual slots and not just the cover (you know how it can be different!).

So... what do you think?

This kid has a long torso! I didn't realize how long it was until today!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Going from memory, DD1 used the top slots in the Marathon for about a year and a half, from around age 3, until she outgrew the MA by height around age 4.5.

lauralou

wow arly he grows fast.such a big boy soo cute though.I am thinking about trading my signo for a ma:whistle:If I find someone want it.I dont know yet,I love it paxton doesnt know about the sip.lol.well see.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
If FF, DD1 would have needed the top straps right at her 2nd birthday.

ETA: This was at 22.5 months, right before a growth spurt.
mastrapheight.jpg

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
If FF, DD1 would have needed the top straps right at her 2nd birthday.

ETA: This was at 22.5 months, right before a growth spurt.
mastrapheight.jpg

Thanks, Anna!

That is exactly what I needed to see/hear. It seems that the child I know is just like your DD1. She was just turned FF today (long story...) and we saw that the top slots are necessary. At 22.5 months she probably looked JUST like your DD1 in her seat (but a smidge taller).

Thanks!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Dd was 25mos old when we bought our MA and she was about 1" above the 2nd from bottom slots at that time. She's been in the Radian since september, but before we switched her to the Radian she was in the top slots of the MA - just slightly above the 3rd ones at the end of a trip. So I think we moved to the top slots right around 38mos.

She'll be going back to the MA when we get the EFTA for ds. (hopefully it shows up in the store here within the next month.) I'll be able to tell you how much room she has left in it then... she's 3.5yrs old right now. I expect that she will get close to age 5 in the MA though.

This is Feb 07 - so 31mos old. http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/snowbird25ca/car seats/feb192007011.jpg

This is May 07 when she was turned ff'ing. She was just a hair under the 2nd from top slots when she went ff'ing, and got somewhere around 3mos before we had to move her up to the top ones. She was 34mos here: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/snowbird25ca/Kids Started March 1 07/may15018.jpg

For comparison you can see how my very tall torso'ed ds fits in the MA. This picture was taken at 12.5mos old. He's about 1/4" above the 2nd from bottom slots. http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/snowbird25ca/Carseats 2/kidsstartedoct29005.jpg
(same pic as in my siggy, but this one isn't cropped or anything.)

I think a 23mo old just going into the 2nd from top (3rd) slots, will have at least 2.5yrs left in the MA. Like you said, all kids grow differently, but you can see over the course of January to May my dd obviously grew, but didn't gain that much in torso.

(I sat my dd in a RA at the store last week and she's over the top slot in the store. I'm guessing she'd have outgrown it by age 3.)

eta: I just read you said she needs the top slots now that she's ff'ing. I'd still guess she'll get 1.5yrs out of the seat.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Thanks, Anna!

That is exactly what I needed to see/hear. It seems that the child I know is just like your DD1. She was just turned FF today (long story...) and we saw that the top slots are necessary. At 22.5 months she probably looked JUST like your DD1 in her seat (but a smidge taller).

Thanks!

No problem. DD is now 2.5 and has about an inch and a half left in the MA FF, so at least a year I would think.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
LOL, yeah, I saw it the other day on my screensaver slideshow, Becky..I think it was on the other computer, though...:eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC