RF -- how much does my kid weigh?

twinsplusthree

OK, I've read enough on this forum to be reminded that kids weigh differently at night and on a full stomach than in the morning...Just like adults. )That's why I weigh myself in the AM, after I pee and before I shower, right?;))

I never really considered that difference in my kid with regard to weight limits because no one was approaching a limit...until now. DS#1 is 37 lbs or so and approaching the 40 lb limit in his current seat. Now, this could take a year or two at his rate, but still...

So, is that 8 oz at night a really important safety factor? Why?

Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You weigh him in the evening with his clothes and shoes on, right after dinner. If he's only eight ounces over his naked morning weight then you need to feed him more. hehe Whatever his evening weight is that's what you go by. His naked morning weight then just becomes something to think about when you're not kissing harness limits.

Is the eight ounces important? Well, if you're looking at 39.75 pounds or 40.25, then probably not. But as a tech I'm going to tell you that that harness is outgrown at 40 pounds. Not 41 or even 40.1, but 40.0. Are all scales accurate, can you get away with a half pound fluctuation in daytime weight? Probably. But if he's that close move him. I found that when I was weighing Piper twice a day to see if her weight topped the magic number it was time to switch.

Wendy

twinsplusthree

Why is 40 the magic number? I know that the seats are designed to 40 and that the limit is posted, but is that when the child is big enough to pull the harness through the frame?

Secondly, we are trying to spread out the cost of three-four new Extended harnessing seats for our three boys over a few months. As DS#1 approaches 40 lbs, do you think he's safer being slightly over the limit in a 40 lb harness or being in a booster with back for a few months...?

djma

Just curious - from reading your siggy, your son is in a Como, right? Their harness limit isn't 40 pounds - it's 70. So he's got quite awhile in it.

Of course, you may have another seat or spare that you could be referring too.

Just curious.

twinsplusthree

Just curious - from reading your siggy, your son is in a Como, right? Their harness limit isn't 40 pounds - it's 70. So he's got quite awhile in it.

Of course, you may have another seat or spare that you could be referring too.

Just curious.

Yes, I have a spare evenflo something or other in my DH's car that is a 40 lb limit. We'll be using that one as his primary seat until we can get him another. The Como is going to one twin and the other will get the BLVD we are not-so-patiently waiting for in the mail...

djma

I gotcha~ that's what I get for assuming! :D Have you thought about the new Graco Nautilus seat for him? There are a couple of other threads talking about it. Sounds like a great seat - one we're actually waiting to arrive at our Wal-Mart for my DS1.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm sure there's a smidgen of over engineering and the seat won't dramatically fail at 40.5 pounds. In fact, an Evenflo Combo seat will be the same seat and labeled to 47 pounds in Canada when used with the top tether. I'm not saying use it that long, but it should add a little reassurance that it's not going to fail south of the border... if it's tethered.... (the real risk is head excursion will be higher... the farther forward the head flies, the higher risk of injury... not that the harness will rip out, unless the child is WAY over the limit!)

:twocents:

twinsplusthree

I gotcha~ that's what I get for assuming! :D Have you thought about the new Graco Nautilus seat for him? There are a couple of other threads talking about it. Sounds like a great seat - one we're actually waiting to arrive at our Wal-Mart for my DS1.

Yes, I just saw that! Since I have to get two for him, one of which will be *squished* inbetween a Como and a BLVD, I'm looking at a Radian. When I tried it out at the store, it seemed to fit well. The Nautilus looks good for dad's car!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC