Another question/advice wanted

Dawn

I have booked the airline tickets and the marathon is going with us on the luggage cart and being used on the plane.(USAirways)
To make my life easier and to not have to depend on everyone else I am renting a car when I get to Philly. I am hesitant to rent an economy or compact vehicle. I am thinking midsize will eliminate the worry over enough room for her seat and would be a little safer?! I am not overly concerned with getting it installed. It has been the easiest seat to install out of the many I have owned. :D
Would you be comfortable installing the Marathon in something as small as a Kia Rio or Nissan Versa?

ADS

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If it's FF, I would think so! Our car (a Ford Focus) is considered "compact" by some rental companies, and the Marathon fit fine both RF and FF. We've also had it in a Dodge Neon with no problems.

I'd just watch out for two-doors - I wouldn't want to deal with that hassel (but I'm sure it's doable too!)

Oops... didn't think about the other kids. It would likely be too tight for all three back there in a compact car. Are you all travelling?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Which kids are going with you? If it's just you and her I wouldn't worry in the least. I don't know of a car that's so small a Britax can't fit in it FFing. Seats that are too contoured, yes (severe buckets of a 911 backseat, for instance), but not that simply don't fit (the aforementioned 911 fit a Wizard just fine RFing). Even a Beetle or TT has room enough for a carseat. Wait, the Beetle, TT, and 911 are the same car. LOL Anyway, point being, I don't know of a car where you won't be able to fit it in that you're able to rent at a normal renting spot. If you do happen to find yourself with a 911 you'll have a tough time FFing that seat. :)

I don't know the Versa well, but it's not so tiny. A friend of mine has a VW golf (honest, I don't own stock in VW) and she's got an Apex and a Britax Advantage back there. The Advantage is small (and expiring in 18 days! It was Piper's old seat), but it's got room above it, a bigger Britax would fit there just fine.

Now if you have the other kids with you as well you need something else I'd think. I don't know that you could get a Marathon, two boosters, and an 11 year old safely in a Versa. At least not comfortably.

Wendy

keri1292

If it's just you two and you won;t need to tote more than 1 extra person in the back, save some money and go compact. :thumbsup:

Dawn

Thanks!
I'm so used to my Sienna that compact cars look tiny. I am worried about how safe they will be but honestly a smaller car is much easier to park in the city,lol.:D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC