WWYD?? Re: harnesses on combination seats

Would you take the harness out of a combination seat for a short trip with a child that you do not n

• Yes, the harness must come all the way out.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • No, it would be ok as long as the harness is out of the way

Votes: 12 80.0%

• Total voters

daycaremom2002

If you had a combination seat in your vehicle, set up for a harnessed child, and needed to use the seat one time in booster mode for a child that you do not ordinarily transport, what would you do?

Is it dangerous to just tighten the harness so it lays flat against the seat, put the chest clip all the way down and tuck it in the corners by the hips and just set the child in the seat for booster use?

Occasionally I have to do a pickup of an older child at the last minute. I usually only drive a very short distance in town. Just wondering what the general opinion would be.

Thanks.

ADS

ThreeBeans

According to the manual on the CarGo, the harness MUST be removed prior to booster use.

Why not just pick up a booster like the FPSV for the boostered child? Or a TB?

melniemi

I don't see how the harness, used how you describe, would affect the use of the seat as a booster. I think you would be fine and admit that I didn't remove the harness the first day my son rode in his cargo as a booster.

To my defense, I had uninstalled his cargo in the parking lot of a store to try a booster in my van before I bought it. It made the seatbelt cut into his neck so I didn't buy it. Rather than try to reinstall, I drove the 15 min drive home using the cargo as a booster. Knowing what I know now, I would've reinstalled it.

daycaremom2002

According to the manual on the CarGo, the harness MUST be removed prior to booster use.

Why not just pick up a booster like the FPSV for the boostered child? Or a TB?

I have an evenflo big kid that I use for a booster age child. I currently have 7 harnessed seats(4 are combo seats) and a booster in my van. I also transport up to 4 older kids(out of seats) on any given day. My question basically arises when I need to pick up one of my nephews, (maybe once or twice a month), my booster is being used already, and the available seat with a shoulder belt is currently installed with a combo seat. If he needs to be picked up, would you feel comfortable simply uninstalling the seat, tucking the harness aside, and buckling him as a booster for the 2 mile ride home? They are approx 65 to 70 pounds and are 7 and 9yo. Usually when this happens, I have no time to go to the house and get another booster.

Currently I have Cargos, but I am probably going to buy at least 2 or 3 of the new Graco seats along with a couple new Radians to replace my expiring seats this year.

Suzibeck

I don't see how the harness, used how you describe, would affect the use of the seat as a booster.

:yeahthat:

I gotta believe that they say you must take the harness out because they don't want people to use the harness in booster mode. My niece did that with her ds, she buckled the harness and then put the seatbelt on as if it was a booster. She thought it would be safer that way. :rolleyes: If the harness is not there then people won't do that. I'm not a tech but I just can't believe that there is any way a harness tucked out of the way will interfere with booster mode.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC