Are Laptops shield boosters?

Mama2J

I hope this isn't a silly question, but I am truly curious and confused as to why Laptops are ok to use but shield boosters are not? I did a search for shield boosters but couldn't find any answers. Wouldn't the top of the child's body still be unrestrained? I did a search on Google for pics of both and they look like a similar setup to me. Someone I know has one and I want to get a better look to see what kind it is - not sure if it's a Laptop or not.

ADS

Mama2J

Ah, someone already asked the same question! I need to get better at my searches.

Thanks Jenny! I understand better now.

ThreeBeans

Those crash tests are impressive.

I just get a squeamish feeling in my belly over the fact that there is no harness over the shoulders.

Stretchy Glue

I feel the same way, but the videos are impressive. It does make me feel better about using it, especially in the frontal crash, where a harnessed child moves more. Man I wish they'd make these again.

skaterbabs

Yep. I was 5 weeks pg with Joy at the time too. Talk about scary! We went completely over twice and then over another 180* to land on the roof, spinning the whole time. We stopped nose into a guardrail fifteen feet above a half-frozen ravine facing oncoming traffic.

Simplysomething

That story makes me want one, Skater, and you've told it before, and it never stops being... amazing. (Er, in the way "man, I wish they still made that seat--because it's awesome" sort of way).

It certainly doesn't look like a comfy seat to me, but dang, it seems like it did a wonderful job. Of course, it had its shortcomings but, man.

Can we whine some more, so that Britax will somehow figure out a way to make them again?

There has to be some way to get that thing back on the market.

skaterbabs

The boys only complained it was uncomfy when we first got it. After we had them for a while, they discovered that they could lay their heads down on them and nap. When we went to TBs after the crash (because of course LTs were no longer available) they complained they weren't comfy.

ThreeBeans

I can see both my kids freaking out, though, with that foam pushing up on their chests like that.

Not to make you relive a bad moment, skater, but when you overturned, were the boys suspended in the laptops? They didn't seem like they were going to fall out?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Those crash tests are impressive.

I just get a squeamish feeling in my belly over the fact that there is no harness over the shoulders.

On the other hand is that Swedish argument that harnesses on the shoulders are bad news, allowing the head and neck to move forward but nothing else...just the head whipping forward away from the spine... so maybe there's something to the foam shield seat design being pretty good? (There used to be a few of them... a Britax Prince, a BMW/Kiddy Life Plus one...all in other countries, of course (except a Recaro in my garage :rolleyes:)...). I think OEAMTC notes that kids really don't like that confining feel so that may be why they are kind of gone from the scene in EU, too...

skaterbabs

I don't think they were any more freaked out by the LTs than they would have been if they'd been in BPBs. I had to actually push the LTs up into them so the seatbelts would release, they were not going ANYWHERE.

The hard part was getting out of my OWN seat without falling on my head. lol

skaterbabs

Yep! I ended up bracing my feet on the dash to either side of the steering wheel and pushing up into the seat so the ELR would disengage and I could unbuckle the seatbelt. lol It was NOT graceful, that's for sure!

F

Frankwuit

Hello,
sorry for my English. Perhaps i can give some information. The Britax Laptop is in germany the Römer Vario. The big brother from the Römer Peggy. Both seats have a kind of table to safe the child. The Peggy is for 1-4 years (9-18kg) and the Vario from 15-25 Kg. The Vario is still in produktion in germany. He was "the" seat in the 70s/80s for a long time. Peggy and Vario are to buy since 1973/75. The Vario , that you know as Laptop is the 4. Generation. The first 3 Generations have a plane table. Both seats are very safe, very light, and god to install ore change in other cars. They need a lapbelt, that is the reason, because a lot of VW Bus driver get this kind of seat. In the 70s/80s in every 3 car you can see a Römer. Classic colour for more than 10 years: black with orange table! Later there are different covers. Because the table many childs hate the Peggy and Vario. Other kids loved them... Today the vario can buyd new, but only when you ask for him.... The price is beetwen 40-50€. When someboy needs more information, send a mail.
With best regards from germany,
Frank

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC