frustrated with co-worker..kind of long

mklanger

So...I posted her 2 weeks ago about my co-worker putting her DS in the backseat of her Honda using LATCH. I called her and told her that you need to use the seat belt in the center position and she was going to read her manual and change it. Just talked to her today at work to see if she changed it and she said no, that the car seat base is in there really tight with LATCH! I explained again that she can't borrow the anchors from the outside seat, :blah blah blah: and she said she feels safer using LATCH instead of the seat belt. What do I do??

Now get this...my neighbor has an 11 mo and she told me her pediatrician said she can turn her DD FF now because her legs are really long and that is uncomfortable!! :scratcheshead::mad:
Unbelievable!!!!

ADS

rae1026

So even after she read the manual, she still thinks borrowing anchors is ok? That's strange.

By the way, that's not the first time I heard of a pediatrician giving out really bad car seat advice. My nephew has been FF since he was 7 months old because his parents were worried that his legs looked cramped. Doctor told them, if that's the case, it's ok to turn him FF! :eek:

mklanger

Update: I work at a school and the local police department is going to come to our school and do a half day car seat safety presentation on a staff development day! The inspector is also going to look at everyones car seat to make sure they are installed correctly. :) Hopefully this solves my co-worker problem...now to work on my neighbor :whistle:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hopefully the police know the ins and outs of different vehicles. I've worked a check where I had to tell the senior checker that they couldn't install the seat in the center of the Acura. The manual was confusing, but I was right. Police officers may not know that a Honda and Acura can't, but a Ford and Mazda can. That the LATCH anchors in a Chrysler 300C are offset, you don't necessarily use the two closest to each other. Honda has a 40 pound limit, Subaru 60, but Britax and Radians can only go to 48. Toyota and Nissan don't list limits. Porshce is a random 39 pounds.

Can you get your hands on a LATCH book to have on hand? Or call the police officers and make sure they have one? That'll tell them which ones can and cannot use center LATCH. Otherwise they may simply look at your co-worker's installation and proclaim it ok. The nurse at Piper's ped had that happen. The fire station told her it was just fine and put noodles under it forward facing. I brought in my LATCH book and showed her where it said she couldn't. She was shocked that the fire department gave out the wrong information.

That's great that you got that all lined up. :) Plus everyone else's seat will be checked too! Yay you!

Wendy

kimogilvie

Wendy - you can't install a seat in the center of an Acura?! If that's the case, we'll be needing a new seat for DH's car. :-(

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You can. Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. You cannot use LATCH in the center of an Acura. The seatbelt is fine.

Wendy

kimogilvie

Thank god. :) We hav ea radian installed in the center of DH's TSX with the belt....mainly because it just doesn't fit behind the seats in the outboard positions.

mklanger

Where can I get my hands on a LATCH book??

Edited to add: Just called the police officer that is coming and he doesn't have a LATCH book, but is going to try and find one before he comes here. He did know about not using LATCH in the center of a Honda though, so that makes me feel a little better.

Last edited:

crunchierthanthou

You order it directly from the publishers, Safe Ride News.

Hopefully you and the police officer will be able to convince her.

There are specific standards for LATCH anchors, including spacing. And while they may look the same from the outside, there are two ways in which they are connected to the vehicle frame. There is a bar connecting the two anchors for the seating position. Some vehicles are like this: o_o o_o (no bar in the center seat) and some look like this: o_o_o_o (where they are all connected). Vehicles that do not allow borrowing either have no bar in the center to support the anchors or have non-standard anchor spacing or both. (note: some vehicles with non-standard anchor spacing still allow center LATCH, but that's where your carseat manual comes in. many carseats do not allow for that).

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You're right. From the LATCH manual:

LATCH restraints should not be used in the center seating position, except for the 2007 RDX and MDX which have LATCH systems in the second row center seats

This is why the LATCH manual is my bible. :) I learn something every time I open it up.

Wendy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Where can I get my hands on a LATCH book??

Edited to add: Just called the police officer that is coming and he doesn't have a LATCH book, but is going to try and find one before he comes here. He did know about not using LATCH in the center of a Honda though, so that makes me feel a little better.

Oh good. That makes me feel better too. :) Had he heard of the LATCH book? Our police officers have the 2005 version.

Wendy

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Will I get one when I take my CPST class or is this something you have to get on your own?

I have heard of a few lucky techs who received a LATCH manual through their certification class, but most of us have bought the manual individually, or through a group order to get a slight quantity discount. As Wendy posted, you learn something new every time you read it and it's indeed a Bible of tethering and vehicle information. :love:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC