Just talked to Helen at Britax - interesting

melniemi

I called to see when the convertibles will be coming out stickered to 35 pounds for rearfacing. She was very nice and helpful and visited this site while I was on the phone with her! We were talking about how a bigger child will fit in a marathon with long legs. I also sent her an email of the album at cpsafety.com.

Anyway, she said that the convertibles have always had a 35 pound rfing limit and that they had to, by law, sticker them to 33 pounds to allow a 'safety cushion' for a child that accidentally may go over the limit. She said that any new products will have stickers that reflect the 35# limit and that the seats produced in 08 may also have the 35# sticker. She said that the 2 pounds will not in any way alter the performance of the seat rear facing. I told her I wished I had called a year ago when I had to turn my 2.5 year old since she hit 33 pounds. She said that yes, indeed, my marathon would have been fine rearfacing to 35#s.

Has anyone else called to question this? She seemed very knowledgeable and knew about the 35# limit and such. She was eager to hear about rear facing toddlers and interested to read some of the threads on this site. I told her we recommend Britax often and are pleased with their products.:)

ADS

Auntie2Avi

I have never heard this but if it is correct (not doubting you, but some CS reps say things that are not true) I am going to be upset. Avi was 33 lbs at 17 months but took about 2 months to gain 2 lbs. I wonder if they are going to put this in writing anywhere, meaning if they would give me a sticker for the DC that says it can be used RF to 35 lbs.

MomToEliEm

When I called them a few years ago, they wouldn't let me use my 30 pound rearfacing limited roundabout up to 32 when they changed the limit a few years ago. I think it really depends on who you talk to. Unless they are going to issue stickers for the seats retroactively, I think I would stick to the limits stated on the seats.

melniemi

My dd is just now bouncing between 34 and 35#s almost a year after hitting 33 pounds. She could have rfed a year longer. That's why I posted - to see what anyone else heard??

Anyone want to call and see what they say? You have about 5 minutes before they close for the day!

3acorns4Christy

I called last month about this, also spoke to Helen. And got the same answer, I am not a tech and totally forgot to post it. So now I am wondering what y'all are going to say.

amy919

Ahh, my dear friend Helen. Call back tomorrow morning, first thing and she'll give you a different story :rolleyes:. My experience with Helen is that she'll say anything to make you happy. She just doesn't have a habit of following through :whistle:.

I wish it were the case, but I just don't see them allowing us to use our current seats to 35 pounds. Now, if someone wanted to make the parental decision to do so on their own...

Personally, I would need Helen to sign her name in blood to attest to the fact that I can use my seat RF to 35 pounds before I tried it with my own kid, though.

gwenvet

Hmmmm, I JUST turned Ari because he was weighed 2 wks ago at 31lbs and I wanted to be safe and was getting sick of the snow and sand on my seat back, but if he would be safe RF to 35lbs, I bet he would last another 6-12 mo. Who knows the name of a big wig at Britax to ask for? Enough with these customer service people with their different answers!!

Mama!

If this is true, I shall be p*ssed royally.

You all realize I only went to the grief I did with ds b/c Britax seats had a 33 lb RF l imit?

I wanted that 35 lb limit bad enough to go through a trillion seats.

If I'd known, I'd have bought a MA and been done with it! Ages ago!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I thought the weight limit was based on the standard crash-test dummy's weight?

I just looked it up - okay, so the dummy weighs 33lbs.

IIRC, the new 35lb weight limit is tested by adding weights to the dummies. Is she saying Britax has been adding weights to their dummies all along?

I don't like her explanation. She's saying that Britax has "always" been adding weights to its dummies. Why would they do that if they didn't intend to increase the weight limit? If they didn't want people pushing that limit, does that mean they had a lot of failures at 35.6 lbs?

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Ah, gotcha! Well, that in itself (me, making sense) deserves a good :scratcheshead: in any case. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC