Graco Nautilus - I got some info for you guys

Kat_Momof3

Okay... I called Graco and got a GOOD CSR who didn't know what it was, so she put me on hold and went to her supervisor who helped her so she could pull up the info on it.

Here it is - the good, the bad, and the ugly

Good - will retail for 150, should be in all walmarts by end of January
the booster should go as tall as the turbobooster

Bad - Latch is only to 48lbs... you can't use latch with it in booster mode.
For those of us looking forward to the SK Monterey having latch, I think we'll still be preferring that.

Ugly - when I asked about the lifespan, she said that, unless they were to change it to FIVE years, it would stay the same. It does NOT have steel reinforcements.

So this leaves me with a big debate in my head... hopefully you guys can help me.

Right now, I have the laptop for Ruthie in my dh's car, but it's expiring.

Also, Jeffrey is outgrowing the back on his Fisher Price booster and on the highback turbos.

so... here are my options.

1. get the Monterey for Jeffrey and put Ruthie in a booster in dh's car starting in August, when the laptop expires.

She will be 4.5yrs old in August and is alreay 42lbs and 40"

2. Get the Monterey for Jeffrey and get a ride safer vest for Ruhie for dh's car - possibly my favorite option, but the vest is not easy to use all the time, so I worry on that score.

Also, I'd be spending over 200 dollars to do this and we do have a snug budget these days

3. get a ride safer vest for Ruthie and let Jeffrey go backless when he outgrows the height of the back on the fisher price booster - this is my LEAST favorite option, of course

4.**the new option** get the Graco Nautilus for Ruthie for MY car, put the radian in DH's car, and let Jeffrey go backless when he outgrows the back on the fisher price booster

right now I've pretty much ruled out option 1 because I don't think Ruthie will be ready for using a booster AT ALL in August.

So... options 2-4 are my best bet... but out of all of them, what would you guys do? Keep in mind that right now, coming up with the 200 is going to be tricky unless we can sell the 300 dollar stroller I've been trying to sell since I bought the Rad thinking that this one would have been sold by now.

DH is still kind of upset about that situation.

ADS

mamaofthree

Sorry I can't help with your dilemma, as I have one myself that I can't figure out, but wanted to say thanks for the info. I wonder if Walmart is the only store that will carry this seat, or if they will have other cover options?

Kimberly

ZephyrBlue

I just called Graco and the CSR I spoke with said that there will be other cover options, but the stores will order which ones they want to carry, so there very well may be covers that are available only at Walmart, and BRU, Target, etc. But there will definately be more than 1 option as long as the retailers order them from Graco.

Holly

I'm hoping they will have a more deluxe model with extra cushion or padding, with the graco pedic foam or something!

mamaofthree

Whoo hoo thanks!! I'm really praying there will be a deluxe version with more padding. Girly would be nice, but comfort is most important, besides safety of course. That's the gripe I have with dd's old TB, there isn't any padding. There is quite a variance of padding in the new ones however. I found a discontinued and sold out one at BRU that was really soft and plush- even had extra removeable padding in the headwings!! Then I saw one at Walmart (when searching for the Nautilus yesterday) that not only seemed unpadded, but the fabric felt horribly cheap and scratchy.

Kimberly

supermommyof2

I'm really excited about this seat, hopefully Graco will change their minds and put it on the market here.

Bad - Latch is only to 48lbs... you can't use latch with it in booster mode.

This doesn't really make sense to me since when used as a booster Latch only has to hold the weight of the seat, not the child :confused:

Melizerd

I'm going to wait to get excited until real people have tried it in real cars, with real manuals.

I've learned to not get too excited until seats are actually USED by people.

Kat_Momof3

well, I'm saving up so that I can make the final decision.
I definitely have to (due to finances and no refund this coming year) decide between putting Ruthie in a booster as a spare in August and getting Jeffrey the Monterey or getting this seat for Ruthie.

I'm hoping for girly patterns and a version with the gracopedic foam, too, but we'll see what all is out by that time (say in 2mo to be safe)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC