More Oldies

classicseats

For those of you who had or remember the Strolee with the shield these are for you. One from 1979 and 1984. The 1979 version still had a tether. The newer one did not? Huh? I wonder why they started out with the tether and then did away with it?

Last edited:
ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, the older seats had tethers, and then I think when dynamic testing requirements were set in 1981 they HAD to pass with just a lapbelt, so they stopped having them. Crazy.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Where are you finding these gems? Do you have a collection or carseat museum? Just wondering. :)

I remember the strollee with no shield. We had them everywhere in Nz, and some people still have them!
The chest clip/strap was sewen onto the seat belts and could not be moved. The harness was a 5 point and had individual latching buckles so the technology was quite advanced.

Not much SIP though :)

singingpond

For those of you who had or remember the Strolee with the shield these are for you. One from 1979 and 1984. The 1979 version still had a tether. The newer one did not? Huh? I wonder why they started out with the tether and then did away with it?

Interesting! Thanks for posting pictures of some of the not-very-long-ago history of child safety seats. I always enjoy your posts and photos! Do you (or anyone else) have any idea what percentage of parents actually used seats in those days? I imagine it was very much a minority?

Katrin

Jewels

Senior Community Member
My mom had the first one and the second one. The first one for sure had a tether (I think the second one did but I can't remember) that she wrapped around the back bottom bars :rolleyes: I don't remember the other one except for it was blue and had a heavier shield that had to be attached when down.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Man, I wish my parents had taken pictures of the carseat I rode in as a toddler, way before seats were commonly used, required, or crash tested. I just have the vaguest memory of brown vinyl and metal frame, lol.

Stretchy Glue

I'll have to find the picture of my old one! It was black vinyl and had a metal frame. I remember playing with it when it was in the house. I can even remember exactly where on their living room floor the picture was taken, but I hardly remember anything about the seat. It was used for me, my sis and my cousin who is 5 years younger than me. It very well could have come from my cousin who is 3 years older than me too!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC