Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Those of you with a Chinese-made carseat...

can you look at the tags sewn onto the harness straps? do they say "made in china"? i'm curious about it. i was looking at the IMMI LATCH clips on the signo and even though they say "IMMI" on them, the LATCH strap tag sewn onto the end of the strap says "made in china". also, the adjuster strap has a tag that says "made in china".

i am curious if all carseats made in china have straps that are also made in china, or if some of them have US-made straps.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician crunchierthanthou's Avatar

Re: Those of you with a Chinese-made carseat...

not a chinese made seat, but my US made britax has "made in mexico" on some of the IMMI parts. Interesting that they have a chinese facility as well.

now that you mention it, I saw Mexico on one of our harness straps, I thought. I'll look as soon as it's not 1 degree outside (BRRR_
    DD-11, adult belt/ nbb
    DS-9, Vivo
    DD-2.5 ~24#, 33", RF in RA 55

Carseat Crazy

My short-strapped Radian (DOM 9/05) has "Made in China" on the sticker with the serial number and DOM, but it has an IMMI harness system and the tag on it says it was made in the USA. Not sure about my two newer Radians (12/06 and 5/07), though; I'll have to check out the tags on those harness systems tomorrow.

Also, I happen to have a SafeStop (DOM 6/06) sitting here on my computer desk, which is made by IMMI. The SafeStop was also made in the USA.
    Last edited by ccjones; 01-02-2008 at 09:31 PM.

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

My SS1 straps were made in China, but they have a tag saying AMSAFE on them, not IMMI.

CCO 4/15

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ccjones View Post
    Also, I happen to have a SafeStop (DOM 6/06) sitting here on my computer desk, which is made by IMMI. The SafeStop was also made in the USA.
    You almost gave me a heart attack - I read your post and thought "Hey, I actually have one right here in my pocket right now... no, I put it on the desk when I washed my coat... next to my gloves that I fished out of the trash under the desk... OMG I have TWO WEEKS of trash sitting out on the curb to be picked up at 6am and the SafeStop is in there somewhere!!!!"

Then I remembered that after fishing my gloves out of the trash, I put the SafeStop back with the boot so it would be safe.

*pant pant* *breathe breathe*
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Dillipop View Post
    My SS1 straps were made in China, but they have a tag saying AMSAFE on them, not IMMI.
    is the SS1 made in china or in the US? do any other US-made seats have straps made in china?

personally, i'd rather have a china-assembled seat with US parts than a US-assembled seat with chinese-made parts.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

Carseat Crazy

my replacement safestop says made in USA, i have a sick baby, so can't go out to check the rest of the seat.

DS1 18/11/06 Radian and Nautilus, DS2 08/10/07 Evenflo Triumph Advance RFing

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Defrost View Post
    You almost gave me a heart attack ...

*pant pant* *breathe breathe*

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by southpawboston View Post
    is the SS1 made in china or in the US? do any other US-made seats have straps made in china?

personally, i'd rather have a china-assembled seat with US parts than a US-assembled seat with chinese-made parts.
    The SS1 is made in China.

CCO 4/15

I think Dorel seats are made in china but I'm not sure. I cant find it on any of the stickers. The harness adjustor strap on my 2004 Tourvina says it was made in china and engineered for dorel. All harness itself does not have a tag on it and the tether has one with routing intructions but it does not mention where it was made.

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

The seat's DOM sticker should indicate where the seat was made. I haven't peeked at more recent Sceneras, but our April '06 model's sticker (DOM sticker picture at: http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j3...sceneraDOM.jpg)
    says the seat was made in Indiana. I'm almost 100% positive our SS1 was U.S. made as well (10/2005 DOM) but I no longer own the SS1 to double check on it or the straps.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

Carseat Crazy

SPB, I thought I read your OP wrong. You asked about the tags on the harness straps, but then you mentioned the LATCH clips on the Signo.

My DOM 9/05 Radian has "SafeGuard" imprinted in the black plastic on both LATCH clips. There's a tag on the strap just above one of the LATCH clips which has the following info: Made by IMMI, lot number, and Manufactured in USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley_R_CPST View Post
    I think Dorel seats are made in china but I'm not sure. I cant find it on any of the stickers. The harness adjustor strap on my 2004 Tourvina says it was made in china and engineered for dorel. All harness itself does not have a tag on it and the tether has one with routing intructions but it does not mention where it was made.
    not all- there's a plant in Indiana

At Dorel's car-seat factory in Columbus, Ind., letters from families who credit the firm's seats with saving their children's lives cover a wall.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/s...l=chi-news-hed

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by ccjones View Post
    SPB, I thought I read your OP wrong. You asked about the tags on the harness straps, but then you mentioned the LATCH clips on the Signo.

My DOM 9/05 Radian has "SafeGuard" imprinted in the black plastic on both LATCH clips. There's a tag on the strap just above one of the LATCH clips which has the following info: Made by IMMI, lot number, and Manufactured in USA.
    right. my LATCH clips also have "safeguard" imprinted on them, but then the strap sewn onto the clips say "made in china"

'04 Graco Snugride-

base and shell made in USA
    LATCH strap made in China
    IMMI harness made in Mexico
    cover made in Mexico

'05 Cosco Scenera-

shell made in USA
    harness made in China
    LATCH strap made in China
    cover made in Mexico
    tether doesn't say, but I could venture a guess

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

My SafeStop doesn't have a "made-in" tag anywhere on it.

The Radian LATCH strap has an IMMI tag that says "assembled in Mexico."

The Husky top-tether strap also says Mexico.

ETA: The Husky LATCH straps don't have a label I can find. The harness has one, but the "made in" part seems to have been sewn into the seam.
    Last edited by Defrost; 01-03-2008 at 10:23 PM.
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

CPS Fanatic

wow. interesting info.

we have china-made radians with mexican-assembled straps. we have US-made britaxes and gracos with mexican or chinese-made straps.

let's keep 'em coming, folks!

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Defrost View Post
    My SafeStop doesn't have a "made-in" tag anywhere on it.
    I have an older style SafeStop that does NOT have the black sleeve over it. That's probably why I can see the IMMI tag.

If it weren't so cold, I'd go out to the vehicles and check the harness and LATCH straps on our newer Radians. I wonder the newer Radians no longer have IMMI straps (LATCH and harness) that were made in the USA?

If I remember, I'll check tomorrow morning when I leave for work.