Version 1.0

Splash

So, how do you feel about being the first to own a new seat?

With the Como/Signo debacle, and the TrueFit anxiety, and the Nautilus excitement... is anyone uneasy about having the first release of a car seat?

I bought the Boulevard the DAY it hit shelves. My kid wasn't even BORN! But I wanted to play with it so bad... I needed it! So, I bought it. But... it was from a company with a solid track record, and it was almost identical to the successful Wizard, and extremely similar to the Marathon. So, I didn't perceive a huge risk in that one.

I bought a SS1 shortly after it came out (within 6 months, I think). But again, from a company with a solid track record for infant seats (regardless of how crummy the ComfortSport is, you can't really knock a SnugRide... unless you need to install it with a three point locking retractor).

But there there are these other seats... Radian from a company that had never made a seat before (though we know it's tried and true by now), TrueFit from a company that has previously only made infant seats and boosters (and their first attempts at both were flops), Como/Signo from another booster company, and these are nightmares in the making...

The Nautilus is at least from a company that I trust to make a decent seat, though I have my doubts about Evenflo and the TA... but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Does anyone else think it's more prudent to wait until a seat has been out for awhile and most of the kinks are gone, at least/especially with companies like Compass with virtually no track record in what they are trying to accomplish?

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I would prefer to wait until all the bugs are worked out, but if I *need* the seat right away and it's the seat that is going to work for me, I would still purchase a first version of it.

LuvBug

I almost always wait a little while(if I can) for the bugs to get worked out. I made a mistake and bought a brand new remodel of a car... and I learned my lesson then.

MySillyKids

This is whats holding me back from buying the new graco seat.

I just don't trust a seat, thats not had any reviews, not even on graco's site, nothing about it, but in the stores..

eh, i guess we'll see. I dont need the seat yet anyways!

southpawboston

well, my general rule of thumb is to wait until version 1.1 of ANYTHING, especially new cars. but sometimes the "gotta have it" instinct is too strong. i felt that way about the new signo. i knew it would have some bugs, and sure enough, there was a serious flaw in the first batch, and still some minor flaws in the subsequent batches. i paid that price to be on the cutting edge. but now that the serious flaw was fixed, i am quite happy with my purchase and i am even looking to get a second signo for DD2. DD2 has a como (which was free to me, if you've read up on all the recaro threads), and i just don't like it much.

Suzibeck

I prefer to wait on anything until it has been tested out. I so want the True Fit to be all it is expected to be because I think it will fit our situation perfectly. But, I'm waiting until I've heard some reviews before I buy. If I didn't have the MA, I might go ahead and buy the TF to have a HWH as youngest dd is even with the top slots on the Scenera now, finally at 5 1/2! But, I have the MA and the baby won't be here for a while yet, so I'll wait, but not patiently.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I got a Radian hot off the presses and I've been pleased w/ it. AJ needed a new seat and it fit our needs them better than a wide Britax so we got it. I like being one of the first ones to own new seats. :eek:

ZephyrBlue

I don't mind getting a version 1.0 seat AS LONG AS the company stands behind it's product. Not hides behind it, mind you. I go the Wizard the day it was made available on line, and the Husky as well. I have every confidence in Britax as a company, and they have always handled my customer service issues to my satisfaction.

I did have the confidence in Recaro that prompted me to buy the Como as soon as it came out and I was sorely disappointed. Both because the seat did not function as advertised, and because the customer service royally sucked. I will NEVER buy another version 1.0 product from Recaro again.

Having had good luck with the Graco products that I've owned over the past 7.5 years, I'm feeling confident about the Nautilus and will buy one as soon as they hit the stores here.

If I trust the company, I'll put my trust in their version 1.0 product, that's the bottom line for me.

arly1983

Yes and No......

I hope I have nothing more to worry about than it will have "bugs" little annoyances.....I hope by the time it hits the shelves any "flaws" serious defects will be worked out.....

A solid long track record of the parent company does seem to help...

But still in the back of my mind....I have niggling doubts...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC