How to become CPS tech? and why?

annb

Just wondering what you need to do to become a tech? (I think I see the answer in another thread, I guess take a few classes? What are they like?)

And what are the reasons for doing so? (what do you *do* with it once you have it, besides answer people's chatroom questions! ;) )

ADS

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
annb said:
Just wondering what you need to do to become a tech? (I think I see the answer in another thread, I guess take a few classes? What are they like?)

And what are the reasons for doing so? (what do you *do* with it once you have it, besides answer people's chatroom questions! ;) )

Usually the first step is to get in toch with your local SafeKids coalition to see when there's a class available. The class is 40 hours, spread out over 5 days and the last being a checkup event. The class is a mix of lecture and hands-on activites. I really enjoyed the class, as I knew about 90% of the material already from chatroom lurking.

You will not be able to do much more than scribe at a checkup event without certification. Important points are covered in the class that relate to car seat installation, and safety agencies aren't willing to take the liability risk of someone not knowing these points. I got myself certified so that I could work at these checkups and also to have some sort of way to preface the unsolicited car seat advice that I give out :D I must say, a lot more people came to me for advice once it was known that I was an *expert* (their words, not mine!).

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I can say that my reason for wanting to become a tech is to be more influential at my kids' school -- buses here are required to have belts but they're not required to actually use them @@ So, sometime soon I'd like to show up & say, "hey, I'm a CPS tech & you need to use those belts!" :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC