Question for other daycare providers?

FrogJuice

I have just started doing daycare in July 2007. I had had a scenera that dd2 grew out of that I had been using for the one kiddo I have full time, others are just partime here and there kids. but know i will be having a 4month old start next week and think it would be nice to have infant seat around. My question is if I purchase it for use of daycare is it tax deductable?

ADS

daycaremom2002

Absolutely. Just keep your receipt. Everything you buy for the daycare is deductible. Thank goodness for that! I have to buy over $1000 of new seats in the next year to year and a half!!

ThreeBeans

Absolutely. Just keep your receipt. Everything you buy for the daycare is deductible. Thank goodness for that! I have to buy over $1000 of new seats in the next year to year and a half!!

Can't you make it part of the contract that the parents need to provide an appropriate seat :confused:

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
It is tax deductable, but if you did not purchase the seat in 2007 you can't claim it until next tax season.

The lady who waytches my nephew requires her parents to have a car seat at her home anytime the kids are there. It is written in her contract. My sister bought a Scenera to keep there.

cryswilkins

Can't you make it part of the contract that the parents need to provide an appropriate seat :confused:

On one hand I do agree with you ThreeBeans, but she buys the seat then she knows that the seat is in good working order, not expired, safely stored, etc.

Personally I would WANT to provide a seat for my sitter....:cool:

FrogJuice

so far I haven't had any problems with parents not being okay with the seats I've been using. The one I have full time I use the scenera and I showed it to his grandmother when she quit bringing his infant seat. but with a 4month old starting full time next week, its my nephew and my BIL is really weird about his kid and won't allow the infant seat they have baby trend flex loc to be used with out the base. so I figured I just might have to pick up a SS1 to use.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
so far I haven't had any problems with parents not being okay with the seats I've been using. The one I have full time I use the scenera and I showed it to his grandmother when she quit bringing his infant seat. but with a 4month old starting full time next week, its my nephew and my BIL is really weird about his kid and won't allow the infant seat they have baby trend flex loc to be used with out the base. so I figured I just might have to pick up a SS1 to use.

Scenera's fit smaller babies great. Maybe BIL will put up the $40 for one. Unless you really want a infant only seat to have on hand.

FrogJuice

my reason for the infant seat is the other one I have full time is 8 months old, and is really behind doesn't even sit up yet, I don't think he will be walking at a year at all, so I figure when I go somewhere I can but 8month old in sling, while I have 4month old in infant seat, and then Ihave my 4yo dd also, so I thought it would be easier to carry them all into stores. as long as I only have 2 daycare kids, I will go do the running around I need to do.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
3beans... there's a far cry between "appropriate" in a CPS Advocates eyes, and a parents eyes (many times. Not all the time.)

I had this "appropriate" clause initially, and had sisters, aged 3 & 5, weighing 35 and 33 lbs respectively, dropped off w/ the Cosco backless boosters. These boosters have no age limit, and their lower weight limit is 30 lbs. So, per the manual, they were appropriate. But OMG, I could not put the kids in them. I quickly re-wrote my contract and bought some Sceneras and a TB for the 5 yr old (she was too tall for the Scenera- this was before the Apex, and other "cheap" options.)

daycaremom2002

On one hand I do agree with you ThreeBeans, but she buys the seat then she knows that the seat is in good working order, not expired, safely stored, etc.

Personally I would WANT to provide a seat for my sitter....:cool:

I would love for parents to provide a truely appropriate seat for their kids. But in reality, it doesn't happen.

3beans... there's a far cry between "appropriate" in a CPS Advocates eyes, and a parents eyes (many times. Not all the time.)

I had this "appropriate" clause initially, and had sisters, aged 3 & 5, weighing 35 and 33 lbs respectively, dropped off w/ the Cosco backless boosters. These boosters have no age limit, and their lower weight limit is 30 lbs. So, per the manual, they were appropriate. But OMG, I could not put the kids in them. I quickly re-wrote my contract and bought some Sceneras and a TB for the 5 yr old (she was too tall for the Scenera- this was before the Apex, and other "cheap" options.)

This is exactly the problems I had. I have had old OHS seats, really nasty boosters, etc.

By providing my own appropriate seats, I can assure that I am protecting all the kids in my care. This way, I can RF my small 18mo, and have my larger 5yo in a harnessed seat instead of a booster. One of my current families, has their 5.5yo (44 lbs) in a lbb, and she has apparently been in this seat since she was barely 3. Her 2yo is 35lbs, but very tall(about to outgrow her scenera) and she is arguing with me all the time about why she can't put her in a booster?!?!?! It doesn't help that a local policeman told her to just put her in a booster because she looks older and they don't carry a scale...:eek: For now she is listening to me, but I don't know for how long. If she puts her into a booster, I would be without a seat if I were having her provide a seat.

Bottom line, I am willing to pay out the money because I know they are safer, and it cover me for liability when I transport them. It is part of the cost of operation. Just like the payments and commercial insurance on my 15 passenger van. I wish it were not the case and more parents would provide the seats that I want them to provide.

Besides...this way I don't have to re-install seats all the time. :2thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC