New Graco Nautilus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brendan's Mom

I am getting to be a pro at installing the seat because I just took it out again to play some more. I must say how easy it is to install. Very similar installation to the cargo seats. It does not have lock offs!!

I don't have a scale so I can't tell you how heavy, but it isn't nearly as heavy as the radian or regent. It does have two tube like structures in the back. I took it out and was holding it in several different ways and no it doesn't fall apart or open the way the turbo booster does. By the way my neighbors must think I am crazy. My son was asking why I was taking out and shaking his seat.

There isn't a designated handle (I love the bar on our roundabout), but there are several areas you could hold onto. It isn't a super small seat so carrying it through an airport will be a bit of a pain, but I don't know of a seat that it "easy". Our roundabout is the nicest airport seat I know of, but it only goes to 40lbs! We have a radian so I am not sure if the radian folded with the strap will be easier or carrying the nautilus. I think they both have pros and cons.

It doesn't have a lot of cushion, but I wonder if they will have other seats with different cushion levels. Doesn't the turboboosters and SS2 have different padding levels?

Someone from Graco told me Walmart will be the first to get the seat then Babies R Us and eventually Target.

No, there isn't anything painted on the seat. I know Graco like most other carseat manufacturers are very careful about lead.

I can't wait to see what Graco comes out with next. Don't you think they will have to come out with a new convertible to stay in the market?

ADS

ZephyrBlue

Tasha, thanks so much for all the info and for playing with the seat for all of us, LOL!

Our WM didn't have them :( I thought that since we are just a state over from Arizona that maybe. Hope we get them soon!

Wynters*Mom

Tasha -
Thank you so much for being so patient with all the questions. :) I've been glued to this board all morning long.

I saw where you said there weren't any lock-offs. I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I remember when I installed our MA using a seat belt that if it weren't for the lock-offs, I couldn't get a tight fit. When I pull out my seat belt all the way and let it go, it does not lock when I try to pull it again, it comes right back out. This is a question for anyone who might know - how would I get the car seat tight? Like I said, I'm sure it's a stupid question!!! :confused::whistle:

Thanks a bunch!

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Tasha -
Thank you so much for being so patient with all the questions. :) I've been glued to this board all morning long.

I saw where you said there weren't any lock-offs. I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I remember when I installed our MA using a seat belt that if it weren't for the lock-offs, I couldn't get a tight fit. When I pull out my seat belt all the way and let it go, it does not lock when I try to pull it again, it comes right back out. This is a question for anyone who might know - how would I get the car seat tight? Like I said, I'm sure it's a stupid question!!! :confused::whistle:

Thanks a bunch!

What year, make, model of vehicle do you drive?

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Chrysler generally has lightweight locking latchplates.

Try this... sit yourself in one of the rear seats and buckle up. Pull all the slack out of the seatbelt. Now grab the lap portion in the middle of your tummy and try and pull out/up to loosen it.

If it is a lightweight locking latchplate it will stay tight on the lap portion while the shoulder portion will still move freely. It works by keeping the lap/buckle/shoulder portions all parallel to each other at the buckle. This keeps the lap portion tight (locked) and in the event of a collision, the ELR will kick in and the shoulder portion will lock as well.

Your vehicle owner's manual should tell you how your seatbelt's lock. Look in the Safety Section under Child Restraints.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
You probably have locking latchplates then.

Sit in the seat where you want to install a carseat. Buckle the belt. Now try to pull up on the LAP belt. Is it hard/impossible? Then it's locking latchplates. If you find that the belt is slipping, then you should unbuckle and flip the Male end of the belt over 1 time and rebuckle. That should fix it.

If you're belts work this way...you're lap belt is what's locking the seat in--not the shoulder. And it's fine that way.

Susan

mburks26

This seat still has the 6 year life span right? My sil is looking to purchase the last seat she will ever need including a booster. Her dd just turned 2 in nov. and is at 35 lbs and a 14 torso. I was going to by the Apex for her but I know she wants to use it as a booster as well and I know her seats are not tall enough for this. IF there is a 6 yera life span then the seat would expire at age 8 right. Would this be a good choice for her? If by chance her dd is not ready for seat belt at age 8 depenging on weight she could get a cheep low back not ideal but it could work. The car has lap shoulder in all 3 spots so she could stay in the middle at all times.

mommy4girls

Senior Community Member
This will date me;-), but in looks, that really reminds me of my old FP Grow with Me....which is still around somewhere at the IL's. I don't think it's expired yet.

My 4.5 yr old has been complaining about her MA (she does look squished and her long legs have no support). I'll admit I was flirting with idea of letting her go to a booster at 5 (she's over 40lbs), but maybe we'll look for a Nautilus instead.

LOL! You're right!

I'm wondering if it will fit my 7y/o. Dh doesn't want to buy her a Regent, but maybe I can get this and tell him it's an expensive TB and when we open the box it has a harness in it!:whistle:

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Based on the fact that all other graco seats expire in 6 yrs from DOM, it's a pretty safe bet that this one will be the same.

She'll probably still need something after this expires...who know's what'll be out there in 6 yrs. 2 yrs ago the only HWH were made by britax...now there are 4 other brands with HWH. So for now...this looks to be a great option!

Susan

my3girls

If anyone could buy: a Graco Snugride, Graco ComfortSport, and a Cosco Apex from me so I could fund the purchase of a new Nautilus, that'd be great! THANKS! I could possibly toss in Scenera and/or HB Turbo. Dh is going to laugh at me when he gets home and hears what I need now!

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
That does seem to be the trend with some of the newer to the market carseat models like the Radian, Recaro convertibles and now the Graco Nautilus. Britax, Dorel, Evenflo and Safeguard models, among others, are still U.S. made to the best of my knowledge, as are other Graco models.

Jean, I thought only Britax and SG are made in the US and the rest has been China-made for sometimes now.

BabyKaykes

Tasha - You're so patient with us!!!

Ok, one more: I noticed that those top slots are hidden, just like the ones on the Apex. What is the FULL height of the Nautilus with the headrest fully extended? (The Apex is 32", right?)

As for carting it through the airport, here's to hoping it's compatible with my GoGoKidz!

I used to work in Baby Gear at BRU, so I'm hoping I can run down there and talk to my old Department Supervisor. She knows I'm a car seat nut and hopefull she'll have the updated new products list for Jan/Feb. She should be able to tell me when it'll hit BRU shelves.

mburks26

Based on the fact that all other graco seats expire in 6 yrs from DOM, it's a pretty safe bet that this one will be the same.

She'll probably still need something after this expires...who know's what'll be out there in 6 yrs. 2 yrs ago the only HWH were made by britax...now there are 4 other brands with HWH. So for now...this looks to be a great option!

Susan

Well the thing is she wont buy anything she thinks stuff has to be handed down to here or bought for her by mommy and daddy. and my inlaws were going to get both granddaughters turbo high backs for xmas and since we are in a state that is 5 or over 36 inches can use a seat belt every kid I know over the age of 5 is in a seat belt only. thanks wish the seat would have a longer life span.

crunchierthanthou

Jean, I thought only Britax and SG are made in the US and the rest has been China-made for sometimes now.

I'm pretty sure there's a Dorel plant in the midwest. Indiana? Illinois? I remember seeing footage last summer when the notches were in the media.

edit: it's in Indiana

At Dorel's car-seat factory in Columbus, Ind., letters from families who credit the firm's seats with saving their children's lives cover a wall.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/specials/chi-carseats-special,0,7167915.story?coll=chi-news-hed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC