New Graco Nautilus

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Excellent! :):thumbsup:

Sometime this week, I will try to make it to the three Wal-Marts that are closest for me (Burke, Fairfax, Sterling). I would call them to find out if they have it, but I have never had success with that strategy. :rolleyes:

I'm heading to Springfield probably tomorrow morning so I'll check BuyBuyBaby...? They have great stuff, as you know, but they're not usually the first folks to get stuff in. :rolleyes: Oh, I may can check the WalMart in Kingstown the same day. :thumbsup:

ADS

Brendan's Mom

Hi everyone!

I went to bed early last night and woke to find an amazing response to the nautilus.

I have to get my son to school so I only have a minute, but I will answer as many questions as possible.

I don't know what patterns will be available. I hope graco will realize the need for fun patterns!

The straps are not as thick as the radian and similiar to the regent. My son likes to buckle himself in and hasn't had a problem with the straps being twisty. They may have gotten twisted once or twice, but no more than the regent. We don't ride in the radian nearly as much so it is hard to really compare.

The height of the booster appears to be 19 1/2 to 19 3/4 inches. We have a turbo booster we use for transporting our neighbor and I assumed it would be the same height, but when I measured the turbo booster it was 19 inches. I measured them both several times and kept coming up with those numbers.

I haven't taken the cover off, but like I mentioned before there are instructions in the manual.

I haven't used the latch because my son is 42lbs, but will play with it later today and let you know.

I don't know about latch with the booster. It doesn't say anything in the manual, but will ask graco! I am not in booster mode yet....wouldn't that be nice to latch the booster!!!

I hope I answered all the questions. Have a great morning and I will check in again later today. Tasha

DiaSmall

Youre so awesome Tasha.... I think you got everyones ?'s!

Now, can you tell me if I should buy 1, 2, or 4? ;þ

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Toyota doesn't have a LATCH limit, they say to just follow the carseat's manual. Unless Graco has a 40 pound limit, then it should be fine to install with LATCH (though, it's good to know the seatbelt works!)
:)

FrogJuice

I really really like this seat, I never was a fan of the apex, but this seat I think is exactly what we have been looking for. definetly need to know when and where I can get one or two. I just might have to sell the como and get both dd's one of theses.

southpawboston

Toyota doesn't have a LATCH limit, they say to just follow the carseat's manual. Unless Graco has a 40 pound limit, then it should be fine to install with LATCH (though, it's good to know the seatbelt works!)

i thought that boosters that allow LATCH (e.g., jane indy plus) are "exempt" from the LATCH limits of the vehicle since the booster is not what is holding the child from the force of the crash (at least in a frontal crash); the seatbelt it. i don't remember where i read that, maybe i'm wrong. (but my logic would say this is how it should be).

also, can the nautilus remain top tethered in booster mode?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
i thought that boosters that allow LATCH (e.g., jane indy plus) are "exempt" from the LATCH limits of the vehicle since the booster is not what is holding the child from the force of the crash (at least in a frontal crash); the seatbelt it. i don't remember where i read that, maybe i'm wrong. (but my logic would say this is how it should be).

also, can the nautilus remain top tethered in booster mode?

She's using it installed and harnessed, so there's probably something in the Graco manual that says 'If the car doesn't specify, then you must discontinue LATCH when the child is 48 pounds in the harness'. If it could be LATCHed in booster mode, then yes you're right, weight limits do not apply, the LATCH is only holding in 12 pounds of seat, not 100 pounds of boostered child.

NOAHSMOM

The seat looks neat and enough like a booster that older children should not minding riding in one. My only concern is does it have the same rule as the Apex, needing a high seat back behind it?

It has been concerning me that the top of ds's head is above his FPSVD seat and I don't have headrests in the back, so the top of his head has no protection in my car. I was thinking about a Truefit, but since I don't need a convertible, this may be better and at a better price.

And plus I get my sick time pay out in two days (40 hrs of time), so I'll actually have extra money.....

Brendan's Mom

The manual says nothing about needing a high seat back or headrest.

It is FAA approved...do I take this seat or our radian to Florida in April?? We originally bought the radian for travel...before the nautilus came out.

Weights are 20-65lbs for harness. 30-100lbs for booster. It is an only forward facing seat.

The base has two settings and can be slightly reclined.

The only thing I would change....I wish the seat fabric had slits like the radian and regent for your hands to help tighten the seat belt. I have not had a problem getting a good tight fit (a tech did check) but it would be easier and I am spoiled with the other seats.

Yes, my son now feels more like his friends in his "booster"....ha ha...I still have him in a harness and he has a lot more time in the harness. For reference he is on the second to top spot in both the nautilus and regent. He is on the top spot on his radian.

I will be buying a nautilus for my parents car because it is so easy to use and they will be able to install it. I didn't feel comfortable with them installing a radian and they don't have tethers so he wouldn't have too much more time in the regent. The regent is also heavy for my parents to be lifting.

I didn't take off the cover, but I was looking at it and it appears very easy to take off it is attached with some velco and elastic with hooks...similar to other graco seats.

Any other questions??? Tasha

Brendan's Mom

Lastly, about the latch issue and our toyota....I am not comfortable with Toyota's statement about following the seat guideline. I have spoken with Toyota several times everyone has a different response. If I can get a good seatbelt install over 40lbs I feel better using the belt. Better to be safe!! Tasha

Brycen'sMommy

Thank you so much for posting this. I saw this seat yesterday at Walmart for $149 and I was so tempted to buy it but I wanted to see if anyone else had used it yet and what they thought of it. Your info is exactly what I was looking for and I think I am going to go back and buy one. :D

DiaSmall

So I think I hit all the bases in my description (even stole ur pic!):

Graco Nautilus . (FF harness/HBB/ LBBooster) 20-65lbs for harness. Top slots are 18 inches high. Converts to a high back booster similar to the Turbo Booster, then to a low back booster. 30-100lbs weight limits in booster mode. 19 inches at the widest point (the base) and 13 inches deep. FAA approved. Built in cup holder and side pockets. The base has two settings and can be slightly reclined. Priced around $150. PICTURE:
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj111/Brendan0119/2008gracocarseat004.jpg

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Thank you so much for posting this. I saw this seat yesterday at Walmart for $149 and I was so tempted to buy it but I wanted to see if anyone else had used it yet and what they thought of it. Your info is exactly what I was looking for and I think I am going to go back and buy one. :D

Are you in the Phoenix area? I can't even find the Nautilus on their website?

sirrahn

This will date me;-), but in looks, that really reminds me of my old FP Grow with Me....which is still around somewhere at the IL's. I don't think it's expired yet.

My 4.5 yr old has been complaining about her MA (she does look squished and her long legs have no support). I'll admit I was flirting with idea of letting her go to a booster at 5 (she's over 40lbs), but maybe we'll look for a Nautilus instead.

Brycen'sMommy

Are you in the Phoenix area? I can't even find the Nautilus on their website?

Yes, I am in the Phoenix area. I'll PM you with exact location if you'd like. I can't find any info about it anywhere on the web. It looked like Walmart had just barely received the shipment yesterday because they were just sitting on the floor in the car seat aisle. It didn't even have a price tag up yet so I used a price scanner.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Yes, I am in the Phoenix area. I'll PM you with exact location if you'd like. I can't find any info about it anywhere on the web. It looked like Walmart had just barely received the shipment yesterday because they were just sitting on the floor in the car seat aisle. It didn't even have a price tag up yet so I used a price scanner.

Maybe ours will have them in a few weeks then. Down here we always get stuff last.

cmommyof2

CPS Technician
This may have to be a back up seat for us :) Although she has only ridden in the graco HBB once for back up but for that price I think I just may.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I would be tempted to get one for DH's car, but it appears to have that infernal Graco chestclip. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC