Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!


 

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    CPS Technician amyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Riverview, NB
    Posts
    3,028

    Would you be comfortable with this??

    We bought a Snugride for this baby that's on the way. DH & I tried to install it in the center position of our 2004 Honda Civic today (with seatbelt, of course). We have sliding buckles so used the locking clip provided with the seat. We put considerable pressure on the base and followed all directions in the manual for installing with the kind of seatbelt we have. However, we could not get it tight enough, even with both of us applying pressure to the base. There were at least 2-3 inches of movement in the belt path, regardless of what we did. So we tried it outboard with the LATCH...so much easier to install and went in very tightly. The base doesn't budge with the LATCH. I know that theoretically it is safer to have the seat in the center position, however, if the install is not as tight, there goes the safety thing, right? Would you be comfortable with the seat outboard in this situation?

  2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads
    Join Date
    April, 2001
    Location
    Car-Seat.Org
    Posts
    Many
     
     

  3. #2
    Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9,006

    Re: Would you be comfortable with this??

    Correct- the center is only safer if you can get a good installation there.

    If you are able to get a rock-solid installation outboard with LATCH, then that is the place for your seat!


    Have you had a tech try?


    “Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me.” ~Carl Sandburg
    Learning to cope with the unexpected...

  4. #3
    CPS Technician amyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Riverview, NB
    Posts
    3,028

    Re: Would you be comfortable with this??

    Quote Originally Posted by Patriot201 View Post
    Have you had a tech try?
    I'm living in a tiny little city in the Maritimes...haven't been able to find a tech here, unfortunately

  5. #4
    Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9,006

    Re: Would you be comfortable with this??

    Oh.

    Well, an outboard installation with LATCH sounds good!


    “Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me.” ~Carl Sandburg
    Learning to cope with the unexpected...

  6. #5
    Senior Community Member natysr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,828

    Re: Would you be comfortable with this??

    The safest place in the car is wherever you can get a solid install.

    That being said, Your seat belt should lock automatically at the retractor. I think you were looking for it only to lock at the latchplate. You shouldn't need the locking clip at all. If you try it again in the center, buckle the base in, then pull the shoulder portion of the seatbelt all the way out and then feed it back into the retractor, it will lock. Then continue to put pressure on the base, while tighening the shoulderbelt more and more.

  7. #6
    CPS Technician amyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Riverview, NB
    Posts
    3,028

    Re: Would you be comfortable with this??

    Quote Originally Posted by natysr View Post
    The safest place in the car is wherever you can get a solid install.

    That being said, Your seat belt should lock automatically at the retractor. I think you were looking for it only to lock at the latchplate. You shouldn't need the locking clip at all. If you try it again in the center, buckle the base in, then pull the shoulder portion of the seatbelt all the way out and then feed it back into the retractor, it will lock. Then continue to put pressure on the base, while tighening the shoulderbelt more and more.
    Okay, I will try that. The manual is quite clear about the type of belt we have needing a clip, though.

  8. #7
    Senior Community Member natysr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,828

    Re: Would you be comfortable with this??

    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Okay, I will try that. The manual is quite clear about the type of belt we have needing a clip, though.
    hmm...the vehicle manual, or the carseat manuel? I certainly wouldn't advise going against the manual. But, I'm almost certain your center seatbelt would have an ALR. I had a 2001 Civic and now have a 2006 Civic and both had ALR belts in the center. Does your carseat manuel mention ALR belts?

  9. #8
    CPS Advocate
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: Would you be comfortable with this??

    That is if they don't lock in some way of their own, you use a locking clip. If you pull the seatbelt all the way out it should switch into ALR mode and hold when you try to pull it back out. Sometimes these belts are difficult to use on a rearfacing seat because the shoulderbelt pulls upward on the shell and causes the seat to tip.
    You can try it that way, but if you get a better install outboard with LATCH, then you did good

    here you can find a bunch of videos of installing a rearfacing seat. They should help you see if there is any other technique to try http://carseatsite.com/videos.htm#rear-facing%20videos
    “Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes...
    That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away AND you have their shoes.”

  10. #9
    Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Posts
    13,952

    Re: Would you be comfortable with this??

    Yep, outboard is definitely safest in the situation you're describing.

    Given how the base likes to tilt when installing it with a locking seatbelt, I'd probably use the locking clip in the middle. I'm not sure about your car, but I know most Honda's I've seen have long or long'ish buckle stalks. It's fine to twist the buckle stalk up to 3 complete twists in order to get a proper install.

    What my suggestion would be as well, is to when you unbuckle the seatbelt to put the locking clip on, manually take about 1/2" to 1" slack from the seatbelt before putting on the locking clip. IE slide the latchplate about 1/2 to 1" to shorten the lap section of the belt, then put on the locking clip. Then have one person maneuver the buckles, and the other put a ton of pressure on the base to rebuckle it. If you end up having the belt too tight, you can always lengthen it a little bit by reversing the process.

    My guess though would be that twisting the buckle stalk will fix your problem.
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.


  11. #10
    CPS Technician amyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Riverview, NB
    Posts
    3,028

    Re: Would you be comfortable with this??

    Quote Originally Posted by natysr View Post
    hmm...the vehicle manual, or the carseat manuel? I certainly wouldn't advise going against the manual. But, I'm almost certain your center seatbelt would have an ALR. I had a 2001 Civic and now have a 2006 Civic and both had ALR belts in the center. Does your carseat manuel mention ALR belts?
    The carseat manual mentions ALR belts, but only talks about and pictures lap ALR belts. It also talks about & pictures Combination Lap/Shoulder Belt with Sliding Latchplate (the picture matches our belts) and says that you must use a locking clip unless there is another way to convert the belt I'm going to go try it again....

  12. #11
    Senior Community Member natysr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,828

    Re: Would you be comfortable with this??

    Quote Originally Posted by snowbird25ca View Post
    Yep, outboard is definitely safest in the situation you're describing.

    Given how the base likes to tilt when installing it with a locking seatbelt, I'd probably use the locking clip in the middle. I'm not sure about your car, but I know most Honda's I've seen have long or long'ish buckle stalks. It's fine to twist the buckle stalk up to 3 complete twists in order to get a proper install.

    What my suggestion would be as well, is to when you unbuckle the seatbelt to put the locking clip on, manually take about 1/2" to 1" slack from the seatbelt before putting on the locking clip. IE slide the latchplate about 1/2 to 1" to shorten the lap section of the belt, then put on the locking clip. Then have one person maneuver the buckles, and the other put a ton of pressure on the base to rebuckle it. If you end up having the belt too tight, you can always lengthen it a little bit by reversing the process.

    My guess though would be that twisting the buckle stalk will fix your problem.
    So, I suppose one could also install using the ALR only then hold the lap/shoulder portion tight with your fingers while unbuckling it. You have a place marker, so to speak on where the put the locking clip. Then let the belt out at the retractor to deactive it and rebuckle it as you mentioned. No guesswork.

  13. #12
    Senior Community Member natysr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,828

    Re: Would you be comfortable with this??

    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    The carseat manual mentions ALR belts, but only talks about and pictures lap ALR belts. It also talks about & pictures Combination Lap/Shoulder Belt with Sliding Latchplate (the picture matches our belts) and says that you must use a locking clip unless there is another way to convert the belt I'm going to go try it again....
    the other way to convert the belt would be the ALR. They really should make it more clear in the manuel. Good luck.

  14. #13
    CPS Technician amyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Riverview, NB
    Posts
    3,028

    Re: Would you be comfortable with this??

    Okay...I'm unconfused now The belts DO lock automatically...I tried pulling it out all the way and letting it back in with my knee in the base. That worked much better, although I'm still happier with the LATCH installation, I think. There's still less movement in the belt path with the LATCH. The shoulder belt also seems to tilt the base up a bit.

    THANK YOU!!!

  15. #14
    Senior Community Member natysr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,828

    Re: Would you be comfortable with this??

    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Okay...I'm unconfused now The belts DO lock automatically...I tried pulling it out all the way and letting it back in with my knee in the base. That worked much better, although I'm still happier with the LATCH installation, I think. There's still less movement in the belt path with the LATCH.

    THANK YOU!!!
    You are very welcome. It is perfectly safe to install it outboard. I just didn't want you to think the center was impossible.

  16. #15
    Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Posts
    13,952

    Re: Would you be comfortable with this??

    Quote Originally Posted by natysr View Post
    You are very welcome. It is perfectly safe to install it outboard. I just didn't want you to think the center was impossible.


    (Twisting the buckle stalk might give you an install you would be happy with, but again, it's perfectly safe outboard. )
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.


  17. #16
    CPS Technician
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    2,226

    Re: Would you be comfortable with this??

    With the snugride base and a seatbelt that locks at the retractor...she wants to use the locking clip. Otherwise she'll be reinstalling it constantly. The locking retractor will cause the base to tip to the side...not locking the belt and using the locking clip is the fix.

    Susan
    Mommy to my angel, Ethan Daniel (8/5/07-8/6/07)
    Mommy to Nicholas (12-29-08) RF'ed to 2.75 yrs in Graco MyRide(crashed) and a True Fit Primier. FF in the TFP and a Graco Nautilus Elite. Nicholas is 2.75 yrs old, 32 lbs and 36" tall.
    Child Passenger Safety Tech

Similar Threads

  1. Are you comfortable with...
    By CatSanders in forum CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-14-2007, 09:49 PM
  2. Which is more comfortable?
    By SillyMommy in forum CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-19-2007, 11:21 PM
  3. would you feel comfortable?
    By Melizerd in forum Carseat Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-18-2007, 01:12 PM
  4. How comfortable is the Radian????
    By Jewels in forum CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-19-2007, 10:50 AM
  5. Replies: 64
    Last Post: 01-23-2007, 10:44 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •