New Graco Nautilus

Status
Not open for further replies.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Well, if your kids is outgrowing their Graco Crappysport at 40 pounds (which the average age is 4 years, but anyone who has actually used rather than simply designed this seat knows no kid reaches) then you can move your four year old to a Nautilus and that'll be the last seat you need.

If you move your one year old to one that'll reach them to seven, which in many states is legal to not need a booster.

Too bad manufacturers don't follow best practice rather than bare freaking minimum.

Wendy

ADS

my3girls

Yes, all harnessed seats in the US have had top tethers since 1999 (except the Futura, which didn't need one...I only mention it because people like to pick on me, lol)

Julie - the pp wants to know if the top tether can also be used in booster mode since the Graco CarGo allows it then. I want to know this too!!

NOAHSMOM

I wonder if it is worth it to wait until it arrives at BRU? Will it be a different version with more padding and a nicer cover?

I do not like how the box shows a young one year -old looking toddler in the seat in harness mode, would be much better if it was a three or four year-old in my opinion.

DiaSmall

"The last carseat you'll need to buy"

ok, its a little different from the AOE line... ;þ

regardless, if it (the graco nautilus) only has a 6yr lifespan then its a lie. I want to see the manual.

Last edited:

Melizerd

This shouldn't surprise us that it's going to have a 6 year life span and still claim to be the last seat you'll need, I mean look at the 3 in 1s that claim that too.

It's a Graco I'll bet 6 years, I doubt they'll change it for only one seat.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The 3 in 1s have an eight year lifespan. So if they weren't such useless pieces of junk and were actually well designed they WOULD be the only seat you'd need.

Wendy

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Maybe they should call THIS the Step 3, and ditch the Turbo booster...then Safeseat 1 for babies, Safeseat 2 for Toddlers, Safeseat 3 could be the Nautilus...:rolleyes:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The 3 in 1s have an eight year lifespan. So if they weren't such useless pieces of junk and were actually well designed they WOULD be the only seat you'd need.

Wendy

LOL...but how big would it really have to be to accomodate a kid till at least 4-9... my 10 yo definitely still needs a booster at 55 inches, and he's been out of the AOE for 3-4 years now (If I owned one, that is, he wouldn't have fit in it past 6-7). (I agree with you though, I wish it were designed better, and most average joe parents could use it properly for 8 years, that'd be a heck of a lot better than it is now :thumbsup:)

Jewels

Senior Community Member
This shouldn't surprise us that it's going to have a 6 year life span and still claim to be the last seat you'll need, I mean look at the 3 in 1s that claim that too.

It's a Graco I'll bet 6 years, I doubt they'll change it for only one seat.
Cosco did it :rolleyes: Their 3 in 1's have a 8yr expiry where their other seats have a 6yr expiry.

Maybe they should call THIS the Step 3, and ditch the Turbo booster...then Safeseat 1 for babies, Safeseat 2 for Toddlers, Safeseat 3 could be the Nautilus...:rolleyes:

But the Safeseat 2 is a FF only seat, so really they could have the Safeseat 1 and this Nautilus since it does what the step 2 seat does and the step 3 seat does.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, but I'm thinking a much cushier seat (step 2) for young toddlers would be nice...and then there wouldn't be the step 3 expiring prior to being outgrown problem...

BabyKaykes

What are the chances they'll ditch the Step 2 all together? Is it selling? That thing is a MONSTER!!! And really, what's the point of spending $150 on a FF only seat that only harnesses to 40lb (no matter how high the slots are) and doesn't convert to a booster?

Brendan's Mom

I give graco a lot of credit for recognizing the need and demand for extended harnessing. I wouldn't be surprised if they see the same need for ERF. I wonder if they have a new convertible in the works because I agree the comfortsport and SS2 are not great options. They surprised us with the nautilus....hopefully they will continue to suprise us!

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
What are the chances they'll ditch the Step 2 all together? Is it selling? That thing is a MONSTER!!! And really, what's the point of spending $150 on a FF only seat that only harnesses to 40lb (no matter how high the slots are) and doesn't convert to a booster?

My thoughts exactly. :thumbsup:

MySillyKids

The thing IS a monster.

I agree with calling this the ss2. I would of bought this in a HEARTBEAT if it was out when i bought it for DS1 back in 06.

They just need a ss2 thats a convertible.

DiaSmall

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj111/Brendan0119/2008gracocarseat002.jpg

I have a concern... in that pic u can see that the VERY HARD booster shoulder belt guides are part of the hanressed seat- (I dont think they are removable).... right next to the kids head.

I was just thinking how that would work in a side impact type accident. Would the kids head hit it... or is it low enough it would be around the kids neck?

----edited to add.... okay, on the box the 1yo is sitting in it & the belt guides are low enough I dont think they'd be a problem.

I got rid of my Evenflo Tribute DLX 5 from 2004 because it had notches on the side of the shell in that area... (similar to those of the Touriva- if u remeber that thread). I dont want ANY hard odd bulges or deppressions next to my kids head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC