New Graco Nautilus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brendan's Mom

I thought my camera battery was dead, but it worked long enough for me to get one more picture. He is not strapped in (it took a lot of bribery to get him out in the cold again). I had him lean his head against the headpiece and shift his body against the side of the seat and took the picture.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj111/Brendan0119/2008gracocarseat017.jpg

The red piece sits back and the EPS foam sticks out. I can see how his shoulder would bump it and I asked him again it the red piece bothers him and he says no. He never wears a jacket and only wears thin shirts so there is no padding from his clothing. I could see how maybe someone very sensitive might be bothered, but he could care less.

ADS

keri1292

I think this is gonna be a great seat. Now, technically someone on an extreme budget could buy a Scenera and use it from birth...then get a Nautilus when the Scenera is outgrown and BAM! Done! $190 for carseats. TOTAL. :eek: I figure 3 years in the Scenera and 6 years until the Nautilus expires should get most kids to 8. Not the most convenient, but definitely the most economical. :thumbsup:

mamaofthree

Thanks Tasha for the photo- that close up helps. I'm sure it will be fine.

Yasmel- Thanks for calling Graco!! Doesn't sound like they know a lot of details though.

I think this is gonna be a great alternative to the TB! That's why I think they should make cute covers for it- maybe people will keep their kids harnessed longer. I saw a 2 yo little girl begging her mom for a flowery TB at Walmart the other day. Her mom said "no, not til you're 3" cause that's what it said on the box.

Kimberly

spcamno

Thanks Tasha for taking your valuable time and suffering in the cold with Brendan to take these pics.

I am sure want one of these now if they becomes available in Canada.

Looks like a great seat for the money!

Thanka again you are wonderful!:thumbsup:

DiaSmall

KERI1292--- I LOVE the idea of doing the Scenera followed by the Nautilus... extended rear facing & extended harnessing... & a booster too!

I want a 3rd kid. *sigh*

Brendan's Mom

Ever or currently? The first SS2's that came out were very basic and now they are much fancier. I want a second nautilus, but was hoping it would have the foam.....

Brycen'sMommy

I got an email from graco c/s. No models are being released with Gracopedic foam :thumbsdown:

After the previous track record you have had with Graco c/s (no HWH seat in the near future) I wouldn't put my faith in that response just yet. They might just surprise you again.;)

o_mom

There really hasn't been any bugs with the SS1 that I've been aware of. They recently started making some models with strap covers, but that's not a structural/use thing.

Do you know which models have strap covers... I need to score some for my SS1. :)

mamabear

Sorry if this has been answered before, (I only had time to skim the last 13 pages) ...but the top harness slots are 18" just like the Radian right?

Do you think it will have the same installation issues as the Radian?

I'm still unsure as to weather or not I can get a good install with the Radian in my 2006 CRV (FF with seatbelt), it would be so much easier to go to my local Walmart and grab one of these babies!!

PS: Oh, and what about keeping it installed with LATCH while being used in booster mode???, that's really important to me too....

DiaSmall

mamabear:
The issue with the Radian is mainly because its is SUCH a low profile seat.. the FF belt path is too low for a lot of cars.
The side view shot of the Graco Nautilus back in the first post looks like the FF belt path is high up & wont cause a problem at all.

The Radian does have 18in top slots but SK does allow for the child to continue to use the seat even w/ there shoulders above the top slots, so long as the tips of the ears are not above the shell... really gives you about 19" torso room. I have an email from russ explaining why if u want to see it.

you can NOT LATCH the Graco Nautilus in booster mode.... you MIGHT be able to top tether the seat... havent seen that confirmed or denied yet.

BabyKaykes

Can we say goodbye to the Generations/Chase/Bolero??? From working at BRU I know that a lot of people out there that know NOTHING about baby products, let alone car seats, know the name 'Graco'. Seats like this and the Apex get people to harness their kids even longer and not even know it.

How fesible would it be for Graco to put a 30lb minimum on it, then 40lb for the HBB and 50lb on the low back?

Do we have confirmation yet that LATCH can be used in booster mode?

mamabear

The Radian does have 18in top slots but SK does allow for the child to continue to use the seat even w/ there shoulders above the top slots, so long as the tips of the ears are not above the shell... really gives you about 19" torso room. I have an email from russ explaining why if u want to see it.

you can NOT LATCH the Graco Nautilus in booster mode.... you MIGHT be able to top tether the seat... havent seen that confirmed or denied yet.

Yes!! I would love it if you could PM me that email, may help in my decision (why does it have to be so hard??)

I wonder why you can't LATCH it in booster mode...what would the harm be???

DiaSmall

Sorry to be off topic of the Nautilus...

Mamabear:

Here is the email to Jody from Russ @SKJP about the Radians top slots:

Jody,

So here goes:

Radian's unique design and incredible strength permits a child's shoulders
to go above the top harness slots as long as the child's ears are below
thetop of Radian's seat back. While there will be some very tall 65 lb
occupants for whom this will make a difference, more practically it is
focused towards the Radian80 to allow the highest percentage of larger
andolder occupants to still be able to take advantage of Radian80's
harnessedcapacity and yet continue to maintain an overall height that allows the
flexibility of rear-facing.

Radian65 is the strongest car seat in its class and (to our knowledge)
Radian80 is the strongest car seat in the world.

So, how can Radian allow a child's shoulders to go above the top
harnessslot?

Simply put, both Radian65 and Radian80 were crash tested with large size
dummies whose shoulders were above the top harness positions and the
performance results were excellent. Currently there are NO established
governmental requirements for child seat certification when crash testing
with a test dummy above 50 lbs other than structural integrity (ie. no
breakage in the CRS). At Sunshine Kids, we have developed our own
internal requirements that go far above what is required by law. Even for the
80 lb child occupant, we have adopted the FMVSS213 excursion requirements for
the under-50 lb occupant of 720 mm with tether and 813 mm without tether.
As well, compliance to those same biomechanical requirements of FMVSS213
required for the under-50 lb occupant, we have decided to adopt for the
heavier occupants: below 60 G to the chest, under 1000 HIC for the head
injury criterion. As well, we have internal requirements for neck
loading - hence the use of Safe Stop for the lighter occupant.

The test dummies used for crash testing (whose shoulders are above the
top harness slots) were fully instrumented to record loads in all 3 vectors
of movement: X, Y and Z (i.e. fore-aft, horizontal and vertical). The
numerical values recorded during crash testing show that the biomechanical loads
experienced by the dummy in each of these three vectors. Results of
these crash test showed that all the biomechanical values were all well below
those values established by NHTSA in FMVSS213.

What this means is that even with the child's shoulders above the top
slots, Radian's vertical chest loading (Z- vector) was sufficiently low enough
(i.e. well within NHTSA's values) to demonstrate that there is no
excessive spinal loading.

The current trend to harness heavier occupants in child restraints
requires the restraints to be built in a manner that truly adjusts performance
for each size occupant as the physical characteristics of a 3 yr old are
very different that that of a 6, 7 or 8 year old. Radian's design embraces
that approach exemplified by Safe Stop energy management for the small
forward facing occupant, unmatched strength for the larger occupant and
incredible stability for the rear facing occupant up to 33 lbs.

Sunshine Kids' policy is to always encourage the use of top tether, as
long as its installation and intended use conforms to the instructions of
the vehicle and for the child with whom it will be used. There are some
professionals who take a well-thought, but different, position on this
issue. While we have great respect for their experience and knowledge,
as a car seat maker we must maintain a certain position on this matter that
does not compromise the instructions of the vehicle. The use of top tether
with the higher weight occupant (50 lb to 80 lb) in a harnessed child seat,
is not allowed by most if not all vehicle manufacturers. The fact that
the Radian can safely and conveniently utilize just the lap belt in these
heavy occupant applications gives the consumer the ability to safely secure
their child and follow all manufactures instructions (Child Restraint and Car
Manufacturers).

I understand and appreciate the concerns about shoulder harness heights
as it relates to safety and performance. I hope all this information helps
explain both our design and performance criteria.

Best regards,
Russ
------------------------------------
Sunshine Kids
Russ Berger
russ@skjp.com
147 Tower Avenue
Needham, MA 02494
USA
tel: 781-453-0309
fax: 305-574-0309
mobile: 617-817-3201
www.skjp.com

CaseyRN

Just got back from Walmart in Simpsonville, SC and I saw 3 Nautilus! They were on a stocking cart in the middle of an aisle, though....at the bottom. I asked a worker when they'd be where you could see them and she said probably by tomorrow (yeah right) but she did offer to find someone to dig it out from the pile and get it out of the box to look at it. I didn't make her do that though b/c I didn't have a camera, I have no clue what info I could share since we're not even close to needing a seat like that yet, and I woulda felt bad since I knew I wasn't going to buy one. BUT, they had 3 of them that they must have JUST gotten in since they weren't even put on the shelves yet! Just thought I'd share!

dragonflies4me

How funny that they get them in 3's for some reason. When I picked my 2 up, they had 3 (up on the top rack and none down below and there wasn't even a space there for them yet) and it seems like someone else said their walmart had 3.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Do you know which models have strap covers... I need to score some for my SS1. :)

It looks like the Portica (CDN site) does and someone else posted a picture of a SS1 in Laguna that looked like it did as well. Sorry, I don't know of any others.
414T616XbWL._AA250_.jpg
41XMZ4NVPpL._AA280_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC