Need Links- 4 yr old in nothing

Jordynsmama

So... my dd's 4 yr old cousin who now lives in SC but they are from here, are out visiting and turns out she uses nothing for him:eek:. Just puts the belt behind his neck:whistle: It just appalls me. But, she makes sure he has shoes on outside:rolleyes:lol
He is 4.5 and over 60 lbs but only about 43". He is obese yes, most definitely. He looks heavy but not that heavy.
Anyway so legally he is okay of course, but he obviously is waaaay to short and the belt comes up to his face practically.

I am sending her an email once she leaves so she can get it when she gets back. I need the best links.
I need one for what happens when a kid has only a lap belt with a video, and one for what happens when a kid is too short for a seatbelt.

Thanks!!!!

ETA he is legally not okay in SC i just learned.

Last edited:
ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Could you show her the video BEFORE she leaves, so she could buy him something now and then he can travel home safely?

Leila

Jessica, is she aware of SC laws for child passengers?? I'm not really sure how much it might affect her choices, but here it is...

South Carolina’s child passenger restraint law requires that:
  • Children from birth to 1 year old, or who weigh less than 20 pounds, must be secured in a rear-facing child safety seat.
  • Children 1 through 5 years old weighing 20 to 40 pounds must be restrained in a forward-facing child seat.
  • Children 1 through 5 years old weighing 40 to 80 pounds must be secured in a belt-positioning booster seat.
  • Children under the age of 6 are not required to be in booster seats if they weigh more than 80 pounds or if they can sit with their backs against the car's seat and bend their legs over the seat edge without slouching.
  • Children under 6 may not sit in the front passenger seat. However, this restriction does not apply if the vehicle has no rear passenger seats or if all other rear passenger seats are occupied by children less than 6 years old.
  • Violators are subject to a $150 fine. This law does not apply to taxis, church, school and day care buses, or commercial vehicles.

Jordynsmama

Could you show her the video BEFORE she leaves, so she could buy him something now and then he can travel home safely?

They are taking a plane!
ETA: she kinda scares me just a little too-I already said something to her sister when she had him in the car but she already knows how I feel about car seats and she said she knew he should be in a booster-they just don't get it and I just want to send it to her after I dont have to see her anymore b/c I dont want any drama or anything.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC