You don't know how to drive: as important as car seats

dimsumdaddy

I chose a more "sensationalized" topic title just to get people's attention. The sad reality is that driver's ed does not teach you emergency handling, or vehicle dynamics at the limit (which is what happens in emergency situations).

I'm researching this topic for myself so I'm just getting into this topic but would like to start a discussion on it.

One great problem appears to be swerving. No one seems to understand why this is a problem. And to top it off, in traffic situations on my commute and a sudden stop occurs (at lower speeds) Instead of straight line braking, I see people suddenly turning off to the side of the road, apparently thinking that they are "preparing for emergency avoidance". The reality is, if they did this exact maneuver at speed in a true sudden stop situation, this would result in a swerve, skid, and possible roll over.

ADS

JerseyGirl'sMama

I haven't ever taken any additional driving classes (though I think it would be great!)

Just last week while driving 60 mph on the freeway, a car cut another car off, which was about 6 up in front of me. It caused an immediate slam on brakes situation. Two cars collided, and 3 cars (including me) sweved off the side onto the shoulder to avoid collision. Of course, it was really more like slam on brakes, and swerve over to shoulder when speed was greatly reduced. I just did what seemed 'natural' to me. It would be helpful to know what you 'should' do.

southpawboston

dimsumdaddy,

i've been preaching here for a while on the importance of understanding how to control your car in an emergency. driver's ed doesn't teach squat about this. you need to go to a professional driving school like skip barber for that. you have to learn by taking your car into an emergency situation and applying certain principles... basically you learn "by the seat of your pants".

if i can afford it, i'll be sending my daughters to professional driving school when it's time for them to learn how to drive. i never took a course, but i've been making my cars do "doughnuts" and other tricks since before i had my driver's license ;). i once parallel parked my car in a tight spot in front of a restaurant in the densest part of boston (the north end) during a snow storm by sliding into it sideways. i got out of the car to a standing ovation :). i also auto-X'd a bit, which really taught me a lot about how to control a car at its limits.

scatterbunny

I've been in a couple of those, "slam on breaks and swerve to the shoulder of the road" situations because of dumbasses who cut people off doing 60 mph. :mad: What should I have done? If I didn't swerve to the shoulder I would have rear-ended the people in front of me.

Guess I shouldn't be traveling so closely in the first place, huh? :eek:

dimsumdaddy

I haven't ever taken any additional driving classes (though I think it would be great!)

Just last week while driving 60 mph on the freeway, a car cut another car off, which was about 6 up in front of me. It caused an immediate slam on brakes situation. Two cars collided, and 3 cars (including me) sweved off the side onto the shoulder to avoid collision. Of course, it was really more like slam on brakes, and swerve over to shoulder when speed was greatly reduced. I just did what seemed 'natural' to me. It would be helpful to know what you 'should' do.

Sounds like you did the right thing. You first did "straight braking" which is the most efficient way of slowing the car (and allows ABS to work its best). When you got to slower speeds, you could maneuver to avoid contact. That's good.

What I was referring to in the OP was the swerve as the first move. This is apparent when the car practically does a hand stand on the one front outer wheel... (and a recipe for flipping over things like SUVs).

I haven't gotten to Skip Barber (would love to) but I have done a couple of high performance driving courses, autox, and rallyx which allow you to safely explore your car's limits in a relatively controlled environment. Autox is more accessible to people, so I highly recommend people try it at least once just to experience the reality of what they don't know. :)

dimsumdaddy

Recently, I was driving my whole family and we came to a red light (1st car at light). We got a green before we arrived at the intersection, but I was situationally aware that although the rest of cross traffic had stopped... another cross traffic car was not going to stop (going about 35 mph). By the looks of it, the car was not accelerating, which suggests it was the driver's unawareness and not someone speeding to make the "fresh red". (sounds similar to the Kyle Miller situation to me)

The light was green for so long for us that it would have been easily assumed safe... and the violator was hard to see because he was in the far row, hidden by other cars.

I am convinced that increasing driver skill and awareness addresses the most important safety preparation: accident avoidance.

lovinwaves

I am convinced that increasing driver skill and awareness addresses the most important safety preparation: accident avoidance.

You are preaching to the choir here :)

One of my biggest pet peeves is seeing drivers proceed through an intersection without even looking for cross traffic.

Then again, I am a big proponent for modern roundabouts.

180px-UK_Roundabout_8_Cars.gif

scatterbunny

Oh, yes, I am hyper-aware of traffic around me when I drive, not only paying attention to my signs and signals and traffic in my immediate lane(s), but all traffic that I can practically (and safely) keep an eye on. You never know when someone else will fly out of nowhere into your path. We have lots of crazy intersections and two-lane roads that turn into one-way roads in my town, plus we're a big tourist area, so I'm always on the lookout for unsafe drivers coming my way. I never trust someone's signal; too many times they've signaled left and go right, or vice-versa.

TXAggieTech

DH used to road race motorcycles and has went to several different driving schools. I really want to go, I think that would be a great anniversary week!

Last edited:

dimsumdaddy

One of my biggest pet peeves is seeing drivers proceed through an intersection without even looking for cross traffic.

My personal anecdote about roundabouts: I went to UC Davis for college and they had roundabouts for bicycles... people couldn't get it through their heads that if it's too crowded to get through the first time GO AROUND AGAIN. :rolleyes:

lovinwaves

OMG, they're all driving on the wrong side of the road!!! :eek: :p :D

I will admit...I would be the one to cause an accident in that roundabout. I had a hard enough time driving STRAIGHT on the other side of the road in Grand Cayman :rolleyes: There were a few times I would drive a good 100 yards then go "Oh %@*# wrong side" :eek: (thank goodness there was no oncoming traffic).

southpawboston

My personal anecdote about roundabouts: I went to UC Davis for college and they had roundabouts for bicycles... people couldn't get it through their heads that if it's too crowded to get through the first time GO AROUND AGAIN. :rolleyes:

remember national lampoon's holiday vacation? "i can't get right!!!" lol...

Starlight

Senior Community Member

Have you ever driven on a roundabout lovinwaves?

Synchro246

I want to take a professional driving course SO badly!
One day. . .

Uhhh. I don't like them They built this REDICULOUS one in Clearwater, FL that had a GIANT thing/statue/building/fountain that was the center and you couldn't see well & accidents increased dramatically.
I don't know about roundabouts without stupid things in the middle though.

OMG, they're all driving on the wrong side of the road!!! :eek: :p :D
Hehe, It's all good as long as everyone's doing it, right?

Starlight

Senior Community Member
We lived in Europe for quite a number of years... roundabouts suck. I saw more accidents on those roundabouts than I did anywhere else, and we're talking about legal speeds of 80 plus on the freeway. LOL

While I'm confident in my abilities to drive on one, they do have their own issues.

You know that red light in town that no one can get through during rush hour? And people go through anyway and block the intersection? It really, really sucks, right? Picture rush hour on a roundabout. It's blocked. Like completely. So if you just need to cut across, to go the OTHER way. You're stuck. Ugh.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I got to drive on the DPSST closed course in several fire trucks. We had all the trucks on the course, blocking the way, driving stupid, just to give us a chance to act correctly. It was fun.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Dh & I have been racing cars for a long time (dh over 20yrs & myself 13yrs). I started out as a drag races but once dh and I started dating he introduced me to road & auto cross. I have gone to many racing school and I can say that was the best thing I ever did. You do learn by the seat of your pants with a trained instructor in the vehicle with you. We will for sure be putting our girls through driving school no questions asked. While I think drivers ed is good to teach basic driving skills but a real driving school should be a must for young teens.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC