Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

You don't know how to drive: as important as car seats

I chose a more "sensationalized" topic title just to get people's attention. The sad reality is that driver's ed does not teach you emergency handling, or vehicle dynamics at the limit (which is what happens in emergency situations).

I'm researching this topic for myself so I'm just getting into this topic but would like to start a discussion on it.

One great problem appears to be swerving. No one seems to understand why this is a problem. And to top it off, in traffic situations on my commute and a sudden stop occurs (at lower speeds) Instead of straight line braking, I see people suddenly turning off to the side of the road, apparently thinking that they are "preparing for emergency avoidance". The reality is, if they did this exact maneuver at speed in a true sudden stop situation, this would result in a swerve, skid, and possible roll over.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician JerseyGirl'sMama's Avatar

Re: You don't know how to drive: as important as car seats

I haven't ever taken any additional driving classes (though I think it would be great!)

Just last week while driving 60 mph on the freeway, a car cut another car off, which was about 6 up in front of me. It caused an immediate slam on brakes situation. Two cars collided, and 3 cars (including me) sweved off the side onto the shoulder to avoid collision. Of course, it was really more like slam on brakes, and swerve over to shoulder when speed was greatly reduced. I just did what seemed 'natural' to me. It would be helpful to know what you 'should' do.
    DD 5.5yrs, FF in a Recaro ProSPORT
    DS 2.75yrs, RF in a Peg Primo Viaggio

Doofenshmirtz Evil Inc.

CPS Fanatic

dimsumdaddy,

i've been preaching here for a while on the importance of understanding how to control your car in an emergency. driver's ed doesn't teach squat about this. you need to go to a professional driving school like skip barber for that. you have to learn by taking your car into an emergency situation and applying certain principles... basically you learn "by the seat of your pants".

if i can afford it, i'll be sending my daughters to professional driving school when it's time for them to learn how to drive. i never took a course, but i've been making my cars do "doughnuts" and other tricks since before i had my driver's license . i once parallel parked my car in a tight spot in front of a restaurant in the densest part of boston (the north end) during a snow storm by sliding into it sideways. i got out of the car to a standing ovation . i also auto-X'd a bit, which really taught me a lot about how to control a car at its limits.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

I've been in a couple of those, "slam on breaks and swerve to the shoulder of the road" situations because of dumbasses who cut people off doing 60 mph. What should I have done? If I didn't swerve to the shoulder I would have rear-ended the people in front of me.

Guess I shouldn't be traveling so closely in the first place, huh?
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyGirl'sMama View Post
    I haven't ever taken any additional driving classes (though I think it would be great!)

Just last week while driving 60 mph on the freeway, a car cut another car off, which was about 6 up in front of me. It caused an immediate slam on brakes situation. Two cars collided, and 3 cars (including me) sweved off the side onto the shoulder to avoid collision. Of course, it was really more like slam on brakes, and swerve over to shoulder when speed was greatly reduced. I just did what seemed 'natural' to me. It would be helpful to know what you 'should' do.
    Sounds like you did the right thing. You first did "straight braking" which is the most efficient way of slowing the car (and allows ABS to work its best). When you got to slower speeds, you could maneuver to avoid contact. That's good.

What I was referring to in the OP was the swerve as the first move. This is apparent when the car practically does a hand stand on the one front outer wheel... (and a recipe for flipping over things like SUVs).

I haven't gotten to Skip Barber (would love to) but I have done a couple of high performance driving courses, autox, and rallyx which allow you to safely explore your car's limits in a relatively controlled environment. Autox is more accessible to people, so I highly recommend people try it at least once just to experience the reality of what they don't know.

Recently, I was driving my whole family and we came to a red light (1st car at light). We got a green before we arrived at the intersection, but I was situationally aware that although the rest of cross traffic had stopped... another cross traffic car was not going to stop (going about 35 mph). By the looks of it, the car was not accelerating, which suggests it was the driver's unawareness and not someone speeding to make the "fresh red". (sounds similar to the Kyle Miller situation to me)

The light was green for so long for us that it would have been easily assumed safe... and the violator was hard to see because he was in the far row, hidden by other cars.

I am convinced that increasing driver skill and awareness addresses the most important safety preparation: accident avoidance.

Quote Originally Posted by dimsumdaddy View Post
    I am convinced that increasing driver skill and awareness addresses the most important safety preparation: accident avoidance.
    You are preaching to the choir here

One of my biggest pet peeves is seeing drivers proceed through an intersection without even looking for cross traffic.

Then again, I am a big proponent for modern roundabouts.

Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

Oh, yes, I am hyper-aware of traffic around me when I drive, not only paying attention to my signs and signals and traffic in my immediate lane(s), but all traffic that I can practically (and safely) keep an eye on. You never know when someone else will fly out of nowhere into your path. We have lots of crazy intersections and two-lane roads that turn into one-way roads in my town, plus we're a big tourist area, so I'm always on the lookout for unsafe drivers coming my way. I never trust someone's signal; too many times they've signaled left and go right, or vice-versa.
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

DH used to road race motorcycles and has went to several different driving schools. I really want to go, I think that would be a great anniversary week!
    Last edited by TXAggieTech; 01-01-2008 at 03:33 PM. Reason: spelling

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by lovinwaves View Post
    OMG, they're all driving on the wrong side of the road!!!
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

One of my biggest pet peeves is seeing drivers proceed through an intersection without even looking for cross traffic.

My personal anecdote about roundabouts: I went to UC Davis for college and they had roundabouts for bicycles... people couldn't get it through their heads that if it's too crowded to get through the first time GO AROUND AGAIN.

Quote Originally Posted by southpawboston View Post
    I will admit...I would be the one to cause an accident in that roundabout. I had a hard enough time driving STRAIGHT on the other side of the road in Grand Cayman There were a few times I would drive a good 100 yards then go "Oh %@*# wrong side" (thank goodness there was no oncoming traffic).
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by dimsumdaddy View Post
    My personal anecdote about roundabouts: I went to UC Davis for college and they had roundabouts for bicycles... people couldn't get it through their heads that if it's too crowded to get through the first time GO AROUND AGAIN.
    remember national lampoon's holiday vacation? "i can't get right!!!" lol...

Have you ever driven on a roundabout lovinwaves?
    Mom to a Crew! Boys 10, 6, 4 and 2 and Girls 9 and 2!
    Don't ask me if I'm having more, I may be tempted to say yes!

CPS Fanatic

I want to take a professional driving course SO badly!
    One day. . .

Uhhh. I don't like them They built this REDICULOUS one in Clearwater, FL that had a GIANT thing/statue/building/fountain that was the center and you couldn't see well & accidents increased dramatically.
    I don't know about roundabouts without stupid things in the middle though.

Quote Originally Posted by southpawboston View Post
    Hehe, It's all good as long as everyone's doing it, right?
    ~Laura™ mom to Seamus (6) in a Regent and Mickey (4) in a ff Myride. Due 6/26/11 with Abigail Tucker, patiently awaiting the install of her Myride.

Quote Originally Posted by starlight View Post
    Have you ever driven on a roundabout lovinwaves?
    Yep. I sure hope so considering I "like them" LOL! We have a few here where I live. One of them I drove daily getting to work
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9

We lived in Europe for quite a number of years... roundabouts suck. I saw more accidents on those roundabouts than I did anywhere else, and we're talking about legal speeds of 80 plus on the freeway. LOL

While I'm confident in my abilities to drive on one, they do have their own issues.

You know that red light in town that no one can get through during rush hour? And people go through anyway and block the intersection? It really, really sucks, right? Picture rush hour on a roundabout. It's blocked. Like completely. So if you just need to cut across, to go the OTHER way. You're stuck. Ugh.
    Mom to a Crew! Boys 10, 6, 4 and 2 and Girls 9 and 2!
    Don't ask me if I'm having more, I may be tempted to say yes!

I got to drive on the DPSST closed course in several fire trucks. We had all the trucks on the course, blocking the way, driving stupid, just to give us a chance to act correctly. It was fun.

CPST Instructor

Dh & I have been racing cars for a long time (dh over 20yrs & myself 13yrs). I started out as a drag races but once dh and I started dating he introduced me to road & auto cross. I have gone to many racing school and I can say that was the best thing I ever did. You do learn by the seat of your pants with a trained instructor in the vehicle with you. We will for sure be putting our girls through driving school no questions asked. While I think drivers ed is good to teach basic driving skills but a real driving school should be a must for young teens.
    Jenny
    Senior CPS Tech-Instructor & Mommy of 2 girls
    K1 12 yrs old- 61" & 100lbs in vehicle seat belt
    K2 10 yrs old- 59" & 92lbs in vehicle seat belt

Is this in another country?

We have two new roundabouts by my house with access to the freeway and I don't like them! And the ramps to the freeway aren't even open yet!