Mythbusters: Killer Tissue Box on today...

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
This is a good one to watch regarding the safety of unrestrained cargo in the vehicle. It's on Discovery today at 5 pm CST (6 pm Eastern). "'Killer Tissue Box' is an investigation into whether a tissue box can become a lethal missile in a car crash."

ADS

MomToEliEm

Oh, that episode was a good one. It made me a little less paranoid about keeping the tissue box on the floor in the car (though I have to keep the bowling balls and axes in the trunk).

skaterbabs

When I rolled my van years ago, I did get hit with some of the projectiles and I have to say it's a scary thing when you have a 13" tv hit your shoulder! I'm just glad the metal workbench stayed in the cargo area and didn't hit either of the boys, that thing was twisted beyond recognition when we pulled it out of the van later.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Yikes, skaterbabs, scary crash and scary projectiles. I'm very glad it wasn't worse. :eek:

Thanks for the show info., Ulrike. Time for me to talk my mom through setting her VCR to record it (wish me luck, lol) because I don't get that channel on my bare bones cable setup. Plan B is to see if the episode is available for download on iTunes or the like.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
When I rolled my van years ago, I did get hit with some of the projectiles and I have to say it's a scary thing when you have a 13" tv hit your shoulder! I'm just glad the metal workbench stayed in the cargo area and didn't hit either of the boys, that thing was twisted beyond recognition when we pulled it out of the van later.

:eek:

mimieliza

This is a good episode. After watching it, I am a little skeptical of people freaking out over CD cases, small toys and, of course, tissue boxes as projectiles.

skaterbabs

fortunately we weren't hurt, but it was a scary experience.

I like this rule of thumb: If you're comfortable throwing it at your child's head as hard as you can, then it's probably ok.

tjham

The one I would like to see them do is the ink pen. I remember hearing the old "ink pen through the eyeball" story, but never saw it officially.

IsasMom

Oh, that episode was a good one. It made me a little less paranoid about keeping the tissue box on the floor in the car (though I have to keep the bowling balls and axes in the trunk).

LOL but one day, walking through town I glanced into someone's parked car and did a double take... honest to goodness, they had an unsheathed machete in the back "shelf" of their car. :eek:

skaterbabs

my mil is bad about things like that, but I have finally convinced her to at least keep the chainsaw in the truck bed......I think.

Melizerd

I like this rule of thumb: If you're comfortable throwing it at your child's head as hard as you can, then it's probably ok.

DH and I use this method all the time. If he won't flinch when I through it at him it can stay in the passenger cabin. If he says "no don't throw that" I'm safe.

It's also a good way to work out aggression (LOL)

babidius

Question

So those of you with SUVs and strollers, how do you store them in your cars so they don't become a projectile?

Thanks!

skaterbabs

I put the heavy things as close as I can to the 3rd row seats (behind them).
There are cargo barriers you can get, but I don't know much about them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC