SIL wants to put niece ffing

melniemi

My niece is 15 months and fairly tall, but not big - she was 19.5 pounds and 30" at her 12 month check up. They went to Gramma's for Christmas and she screamed the whole 6 hour drive back. So sil thinks ffing is the answer. I've sent her all the videos and such and she knows what I think. Whether or not she watched the videos, I don't know, but...

She just called me about something else but mentioned that she might want me to help her install her fpsvd - bought at my rec - ffing when we are together today and tomorrow at il's for new year. I told her I didn't think it was a good idea since she is so small. She thinks it will fix the screaming. Maybe it will, maybe not, but in my opinion, it's not worth trying.

We are headed to il's w/i an hour. I'm thinking I'll tell her that I will help her install the seat ffing (I'd rather know it's installed right) but have her watch the crash tests before I help.

They are moving 2000 miles away in 2 weeks and I am worried that something will happen to my niece if she is ffing when she is so small and young. I'll do my best to convince her to stay rfing, but I don't know how it will go.

If niece was at least 2 and 30#s I wouldn't worry so much. But she is so tiny and so cute, I'd hate for something to happen to her. I'll try to have her put the seat more upright rfing and see if that helps. I told her it is probably just her age, her fighting going in her seat and all, but who know?

Anyway, just thought I'd vent a little before we head out of town!

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
First of all, a 6 hour drive for a 15 month old is REALLY LONG!! We just went on a 2 hour 20 min drive with our 15 month, and she complained for the last 45 mins. (slept for the first part), so even that was long for her. I don't in anyway think that having my DD FF would have helped the situation.

I think she needs to look into other ways to occupy her DD on such a long trip. She should sit in the back beside her, have some healthy snacks available, cool toys, stop and take her out for a walk and fresh air, try to drive during nap or sleep time, etc. I am not sure why her first thought would be FF. Seriously, 6 hours for a 15 month is crazy long! If I had to take that long of a drive, I'd choose to drive during bedtime hours, even if it meant that DH and I got less sleep!

I am not even sure who could listen to their child scream for 6 hours straight. Mine was just grumbling and that made me feel terrible enough to listen to!

MommyBoha

Good Luck trying to convince her. I had the opposite problem. When DD was in her comfortsport(I HATE that seat) I turned her FF for a couple weeks, cause adjusting her straps became really hard. I left her that way a couple weeks until I got her FPSVD. She screamed whenever she was in the car FF. The second I turned her back around, its been smooth sailing since.

melniemi

Well, she left her rfing now. They had a 3 hour trip home from gramma's so I don't know how that went. I told her my concerns but she didn't say much. My niece is still tiny. I hope she keeps her rfing. Time will tell.

cryswilkins

Any road trip with small childrens usually has some crying involved. It is not going to matter what direction that they are facing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC